FE Twitter shows new Anna design, some footage (& on-going character profiles)

Jedi

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this new Anna very much. She reminds me a lot of the pre-Awakening Annas but with a modern twist. Kozaki’s Anna was very cute, of course, but she has gotten stale for me, as she was in four games, including Heroes and Warriors.

The pink-ish hair color doesn’t bother me at all and I love the clothes she’s wearing (reminds me of the designs in Echoes). Personally, I hope she isn’t playable and if she is, I hope Jake is added to the cast too.

Edited by berriicoco

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean... she's usually a merchant, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

3 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

assuming she's playable

Pretty much just that. Magic is also possible for sure, but the fact that she doesn't look like she's outfitted for fighting makes it seem less likely that she'll be playable, that's all. Then again that's not exactly uncommon in this game, considering most characters are students.

I like it; the clothes look nice and she looks like a shop owner. For people complaining about the hair color, just about every Anna has had a different shade. And it is pink in the original game, sooooo. 

I like it, I just wish her hair was more red than pink tbh.

As for the cutscene, I like it, though I guess there is not much to go on

As a huge Anna fan, I like it. It's different for sure, but that's not bad. It fits the style.

Also cool to see footage of female Byleth. They seem to be doing better in the marketing this time around for actually showing that the game has a gender selection.

3 minutes ago, Florete said:

Also cool to see footage of female Byleth. They seem to be doing better in the marketing this time around for actually showing that the game has a gender selection.

I really hope them giving more equal screentime to both Byleths with the recent releases of info possibly means that both of them are two distinct characters rather than just different gendered variations

Oh no, worst FE artist got to anna, what do we do?

All joking aside, it's ok, I would be more impressed if you actually could figure out a way to ruin anna's design, young woman with red ponytail and posed with her index finger on her bottom lip, there is so much room for interpretation that you really can't mess it up without trying.

Was listening to Ghast's news roundup video and I have to agree this cutscene of saving Edelgard is kind of dumb. She's not unarmed, she clearly sees the mook coming at her. I dunno if this is before or after Edelgard and Byleth meet, but I feel like it just makes her look incapable. The decision to butt in would make more sense if perhaps she were being assailed in two directions, thus necessitating somebody to watch her back. Otherwise you'd have to be a serious fool to run directly inbetween two peoples' swords without a word of warning.

I assume she either was just frozen in the moment and wasn't able to move, or she's still new to fighting, which would explain why she's going to the academy if that was the case tbh.

Edit: Also Anna looks so pretty <3

Edited by Rose482

51 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Was listening to Ghast's news roundup video and I have to agree this cutscene of saving Edelgard is kind of dumb. She's not unarmed, she clearly sees the mook coming at her. I dunno if this is before or after Edelgard and Byleth meet, but I feel like it just makes her look incapable. The decision to butt in would make more sense if perhaps she were being assailed in two directions, thus necessitating somebody to watch her back. Otherwise you'd have to be a serious fool to run directly inbetween two peoples' swords without a word of warning.

I disagree and I think its one of those things the fanbase nitpick just in the sense that people are looking for things to complain.

Edelgard is a noble not a fighter so she being overwhelmed makes sense as she has likely never being in a real battle.

Then there is Byleth acting who is something that Edelgard has no control over. Also Edelgard was in a defensive stance so its unknown whether she would had been able to successfully defend or not. Luckily it was the avatar (Who has a female option), otherwise people would had thrown "misogyny" because it was a male for good measure.

Its funny that in the positivity thread some people say there is no negativity but from what I have seen all the FE youtubers are negative towards it with nitpicks like that which just spreads it to their users.

Edited by kratoscar2008

1 minute ago, kratoscar2008 said:

I disagree and I think its one of those things the fanbase nitpick just in the sense that people are looking for things to complain.

Edelgard is a noble not a fighter so she being overwhelmed makes sense as she has likely never being in a real battle.

Then there is Byleth acting who is something that Edelgard has no control over. Its funny that in the positivity thread some people say there is no negativity but from what I have seen all the FE youtubers are negative towards it which just spreads it to their users.

Assuming Edelgard has never been in a real fight is too early to tell with the information we have. But I'm critiquing Byleth's actions so saying "it's not her fault Byleth ran up in front of her" is something I absolutely agree with. If he were smart he'd call out his presence to avoid getting stabbed in the back by Edelgard (who might fail to notice him), or instead of running directly up to her, engage the mook directly and turn the tables by working together. The scene just bothers me because it's one character needlessly taking away another's agency. Maybe there's more information we're not privy to, some reason Edelgard must be directly covered like being fatigued from a drawn out fight, but otherwise it's a problematic scene, especially if I'm supposed to connect with this avatar character. He's the one here who seems to never have been in a fight if he thinks diving in front of an ally's sword without warning is a good idea.

Also while I agree my bringing up these points is pretty negative, I'm being absolutely constructive in my criticism and aknowledge this probably isn't the most important story or character-driven sequence in the game. If this is the sort of thing people are claiming they can't handle then maybe we DO need a positivity thread every month because the wait for release is going to be giving us a lot more info to analyze.

3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Assuming Edelgard has never been in a real fight is too early to tell with the information we have. But I'm critiquing Byleth's actions so saying "it's not her fault Byleth ran up in front of her" is something I absolutely agree with. If he were smart he'd call out his presence to avoid getting stabbed in the back by Edelgard (who might fail to notice him), or instead of running directly up to her, engage the mook directly and turn the tables by working together. The scene just bothers me because it's one character needlessly taking away another's agency. Maybe there's more information we're not privy to, some reason Edelgard must be directly covered like being fatigued from a drawn out fight, but otherwise it's a problematic scene, especially if I'm supposed to connect with this avatar character. He's the one here who seems to never have been in a fight if he thinks diving in front of an ally's sword without warning is a good idea.

Also while I agree my bringing up these points is pretty negative, I'm being absolutely constructive in my criticism and aknowledge this probably isn't the most important story or character-driven sequence in the game. If this is the sort of thing people are claiming they can't handle then maybe we DO need a positivity thread every month because the wait for release is going to be giving us a lot more info to analyze.

Edelgard only has a knife in the cutscene, and is being charged by a full grown man armed with a massive waraxe, who has several of his buddies moving up in support. Byleth, in story, is a well-trained mercenary. They have every right to intercept.

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Okay I watched the video couple of times and I noticed few things:

If you went back and watched the video, you might notice that at the very start that Edelgard turned her head a little, she turned it towards Byleth, so she wasn't looking at the bandit leader who's coming towards her, really just keep pausing/playing the video to see what I mean, that what I did lol.

Also she brought her weapon down a little after she saw Byleth running towards her, so I assume she knew it was him that was coming and not a stranger.

Edited by Rose482

19 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Sothis in the trailer from a while ago basically mentions how reckless and uncaring for their lives are. This complain reminds me of sully and Kellams support where Sully basically takes negatively Kellam's desire to protect people. So basically people are interpretating wrong the way this because they are predisposed to spin it in a negative way due to their views.

I don't know how that is "problematic". Seems like an extreme nitpick.

Edited by kratoscar2008

7 minutes ago, Onestep said:

Edelgard only has a knife in the cutscene, and is being charged by a full grown man armed with a massive waraxe, who has several of his buddies moving up in support. Byleth, in story, is a well-trained mercenary. They have every right to intercept.

Byleth choosing to act is not what I call into question. I have already proposed alternatives, such as announcing his presence to Edelgard (who only notices him when he's within a few feet and seemingly ready to attack) so that he doesn't get stabbed by her. Or even better, go after the axe man directly since he is currently overextended, probably hasn't noticed Byleth, and both character's chances of survival go up in a 2 v 1 scenario. A well trained mercenary wouldn't make these mistakes, leading me to think it's a mischaracterization or Byleth is green to the point where this is his first fight.

1 minute ago, Rose482 said:

Okay I watched the video couple of times and I noticed few things:

If you went back and watched the video, you might notice that at the very start that Edelgard turned her head a little, she turned it towards Byleth, so she wasn't looking at the bandit leader who's coming towards her, really just keep pausing/playing the video to see what I mean, that what I did lol.

Also she brought her weapon down a little after she saw Byleth running towards her, so I assume she knew it was him that was coming and not a stranger.

I think you're mistaken. She's looking at the bandit before noticing Byleth. She's not unaware she's being attacked. At first I thought the camera direction was trying to convey that the bandit was blindsiding her and that she was turning to look at him in surprise. However, when the camera confirms what she's looking at we see she's looking at Byleth, not the Bandit. And this new realization for me is what started to cause problems with the scene.

1 minute ago, kratoscar2008 said:

Sothis in the trailer from a while ago basically mentions how reckless and uncaring for their lives are. This complain reminds me of sully and Kellams support where Sully basically takes negatively Kellam's desire to protect people.

I don't know how that is "problematic". Seems like an extreme nitpick.

People critique characters in fiction all the time. I can't convince you what is or isn't a nitpick since it's a subjective, made up word, but I'd appreciate if your responses weren't flat denials or disregarding what I have to say just because you don't care. Nobody is forcing you to respond to me.

13 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I think you're mistaken. She's looking at the bandit before noticing Byleth. She's not unaware she's being attacked. At first I thought the camera direction was trying to convey that the bandit was blindsiding her and that she was turning to look at him in surprise. However, when the camera confirms what she's looking at we see she's looking at Byleth, not the Bandit. And this new realization for me is what started to cause problems with the scene.

20 minutes ago, kratoscar2008 said:

JwDQ47v.png

These are the shots we see at the very start of the video, as you can clearly see, Edelgard is facing the bandit, but right the next second this happens

qDnLn0U.png

Clearly she turned her head towards something/someone, which again if you took a look at the video, it's pretty clear it was Byleth.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that she knew Byleth was coming, she had enough time to process it in her head to not stab him in the back by accident. 

Edited by Rose482

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Byleth choosing to act is not what I call into question. I have already proposed alternatives, such as announcing his presence to Edelgard (who only notices him when he's within a few feet and seemingly ready to attack) so that he doesn't get stabbed by her. Or even better, go after the axe man directly since he is currently overextended, probably hasn't noticed Byleth, and both character's chances of survival go up in a 2 v 1 scenario. A well trained mercenary wouldn't make these mistakes, leading me to think it's a mischaracterization or Byleth is green to the point where this is his first fight.

People critique characters in fiction all the time. I can't convince you what is or isn't a nitpick since it's a subjective, made up word, but I'd appreciate if your responses weren't flat denials or disregarding what I have to say just because you don't care. Nobody is forcing you to respond to me.

Your critique is basically on the assumption that scene somehow devalues Edelgard just because someone decided to help her and that you consider it problematic. Its a nitpick to me, but yeah I guess I will leave you to it.

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

We don't know the circumstances. Given that all three of the House leaders are present (and high nobility) it's likely that the entire mercenary troupe are under strict orders to protect them. I'm inclined to think that Byleth not announcing his presence is simply a limitation of him being a silent protag in cutscenes. And from what we see, Byleth only has a moment to place himself between Edelgard and the Bandit before the bandit attacks, so we can't say that Byleth could have reliably attacked the bandit from the flank or rear without putting Edelgard in danger.

Your criticisms are written with the thought that Byleth sees Edelgard as a fellow combatant, as opposed to a VIP to be protected, which seems unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

These are the shots we see at the very start of the video, as you can clearly see, Edelgard is facing the bandit, but right the next second this happens

Clearly she turned her head towards something/someone, which again if you took a look at the video, it's pretty clear it was Byleth 

Right. Are we in disagreement on something or...?

3 minutes ago, Onestep said:

We don't know the circumstances. Given that all three of the House leaders are present (and high nobility) it's likely that the entire mercenary troupe are under strict orders to protect them. I'm inclined to think that Byleth not announcing his presence is simply a limitation of him being a silent protag in cutscenes. And from what we see, Byleth only has a moment to place himself between Edelgard and the Bandit before the bandit attacks, so we can't say that Byleth could have reliably attacked the bandit from the flank or rear without putting Edelgard in danger.

Your criticisms are written with the thought that Byleth sees Edelgard as a fellow combatant, as opposed to a VIP to be protected, which seems unlikely.

The Silent protagonist thing is interesting, since I know somebody pointed out Byleth has actual voiced lines in combat based on that commercial from last month. So, the decision to make him mute in cutscenes has actually proved very notable since it contributes to my problems with this scene. I know many silent protagonists that would at least non verbally call out, so what's Byleth's excuse? And if he ever does say a word in cutscenes this will all have been a moot point.

As for Edelgard being somebody to protect, again, I am definitely not bothered with Byleth's decision to act, just with his decision making. If Edelgard didn't want to fight, she wouldn't be standing her ground like that. We don't have all the facts of this scene, I've already said as much, but the facts we do have create some difficult questions that would be lazy to solve with "what ifs". I really do hope there's more to this scene then what we've been shown.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Right. Are we in disagreement on something or...?

The Silent protagonist thing is interesting, since I know somebody pointed out Byleth has actual voiced lines in combat based on that commercial from last month. So, the decision to make him mute in cutscenes has actually proved very notable since it contributes to my problems with this scene. I know many silent protagonists that would at least non verbally call out, so what's Byleth's excuse? And if he ever does say a word in cutscenes this will all have been a moot point.

As for Edelgard being somebody to protect, again, I am definitely not bothered with Byleth's decision to act, just with his decision making. If Edelgard didn't want to fight, she wouldn't be standing her ground like that. We don't have all the facts of this scene, I've already said as much, but the facts we do have create some difficult questions that would be lazy to solve with "what ifs". I really do hope there's more to this scene then what we've been shown.

We have no real facts of the situation. Edelgard being ready to fight does not mean that a mercenary (presumably hired to protect her or travelling in her company) should treat her as being combat capable. What if Byleth did his sneak attack, but the bandit managed to seriously wound Edelgard in the process? What if Edelgard's nerve breaks? We KNOW that this is near the beginning of the game, so Byleth has no reason to trust her or her capabilities. What we get from this is that Byleth chooses to trust their own skills over an unknown factor, in order to protect a VIP. That seems perfectly reasonable to me.