Give me one good reason Celica didn't hook up with Saber

19 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Without DLC, you can only forge the Beloved Zofia after defeating Grieth, as he's carrying a gold coin. Not that it matters, because by the time you do that, you will potentially have a steel sword, an iron sword, the blessed sword, and a brave sword (and a shadow sword if you decided to go north, for some reason). More than enough options to replace the Golden Dagger, even if you decide to make Atlus a mercenary and use the pitchfork on Celicas side to make yet another merc.

Celica can get gold coins earlier by trading in silver coins (at a terrible rate but they are unlimited) or by having Alm send spice over to her.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Stroud said:

Wow, Deirdre is quite a relationship breaker..

Now that you mention Genealogy, relationships there look much more realistic in my Opinion, because there are some characters who even change their partners after having a Child.

Which I really appreciate. And yeah, predistined lovers need a ton amount of good writing to be likable.  In Echoes we have Zeke, who fits in that section even with the Amnesia plot, before Tatiana he had Nyna. ouhhh a little trick, but still valid..

I wouldn't mind a promiscuity couple in Fire Emblem. But I guess they do not dare anymore...hopefully this does not get out of hand mentioning this. xD

It seems Edain was never interested on Sigurd's that way and was more focused on other stuff like finding her sister. He on the other hand was friendzoned and may find her attractive but valued their friendship way better. This is the vibes I got. 

Talking about Deirdre, her and Sigurd is a pairing that really bugs me way more than Celica and Alm, it's the generic love at first sight which is really meh and unrealistic. Everything went wrong this time at least 

10 minutes ago, Mylady said:

It seems Edain was never interested on Sigurd's that way and was more focused on other stuff like finding her sister. He on the other hand was friendzoned and may find her attractive but valued their friendship way better. This is the vibes I got. 

Yeah, this was mentioned here already. I mean these vibes are also nice to have. Its only natural that not all interest gets answered. 

And yeah, as much as I like Deirdre. The relationship between Sigurd and Deirdre was a bit forced, that is true. I do like the tragedy about Deirdre coming with it though. Deidre is pretty much based on her name from an Irish legend."Deidre of the Sorrows". I think that legend also goes that they that Deidre and the Warrior she met feel in love like magic which builds up to the tragedy around them.

Nevertheless its more about the writing than the relationship itself. I guess Kaga wanted to spend more around that then the development of their relationship. Which might be a shame, because it had potential. Well, of course its also a bit Cliché I guess.  

Dang sorry, xD I totally besieged the topic with Genealogy. But it was a bit grown from Saber and relationships outside of classic determined love. 

Well let me tell you something: Celica saw some pictures of Saber from his old days and that was a turn off. 

5 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I don't get how Saber and Celica being an item would help with that.

Because something would have happened.

2 hours ago, Mylady said:

Talking about Deirdre, her and Sigurd is a pairing that really bugs me way more than Celica and Alm, it's the generic love at first sight which is really meh and unrealistic. Everything went wrong this time at least 

Kaga had admitted Sigurd and Deirdre's relationship is God awful because they didn't have the time and had to keep the plot moving.

1 hour ago, Stroud said:

Nevertheless its more about the writing than the relationship itself. I guess Kaga wanted to spend more around that then the development of their relationship. Which might be a shame, because it had potential.

From the same 1996 interview I cited before:

Spoiler

Heuga: He and Deirdre were unusually smitten with each other from the moment they met. Is there any explanation for that?

Kaga’s comment: There were more stages leading to the deepening of their love during the planning stages, but we had no choice but to cut it down to the way it is due to balance and other factors.

5 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Really, though, since when has a mercenary in this series actually been paid after joining the heroes?

Pretty much never.

Although Volke the first Thief to join in Path of Radiance does charge 50 Gold per lock he opens. Amounts to nothing between the pittance of a cost, being able to bash open doors, and PoR having plenty of money.

If you're looking a little further out, Kaga's Berwick Saga does require you pay people multiple times. About half the game's cast consists of mercenaries who you have to rebuy the services of on a chapter-by-chapter basis. Only once you've fulfilled their conditions for permanent recruitment do they start working pro bono.

2 hours ago, Stroud said:

Well let me tell you something: Celica saw some pictures of Saber from his old days and that was a turn off. 

*gets mental image of awkward ginger teen with feet too big for him and zits all over his face*

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

From the same 1996 interview I cited before:

Reveal hidden contents

Heuga: He and Deirdre were unusually smitten with each other from the moment they met. Is there any explanation for that?

Kaga’s comment: There were more stages leading to the deepening of their love during the planning stages, but we had no choice but to cut it down to the way it is due to balance and other factors.

Pretty much never.

Although Volke the first Thief to join in Path of Radiance does charge 50 Gold per lock he opens. Amounts to nothing between the pittance of a cost, being able to bash open doors, and PoR having plenty of money.

If you're looking a little further out, Kaga's Berwick Saga does require you pay people multiple times. About half the game's cast consists of mercenaries who you have to rebuy the services of on a chapter-by-chapter basis. Only once you've fulfilled their conditions for permanent recruitment do they start working pro bono.

Beowulf demands payment up front to betray his company for you. There's that mage in FE6 too, Niime's grandson. Hue, is it?

Edited by Jotari

21 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Beowulf demands payment up front to betray his company for you. There's that mage in FE6 too, Niime's grandson. Hue, is it?

I interpreted "after joining" to mean "after their recruitment conversation", so Beo, Hugh, Farina, Rennac if with Eiri/Eph and Malice & Dice wouldn't count. You pay them once up front, but not ever after recruitment.

But I could be wrong with what was meant.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'm pretty sure anyone hired does get paid for their services. Just not always affecting the in-game gold count. Like, I think I remember that in Blazing Sword, Bartre and Dorcas in their supports do bring up about what they're being paid by Eliwood. Went to check, and sure enough:

Bartre: Well, that won’t do. It’s all for one, and one for all, is it not! I’ve an idea! Eliwood pays our wages, right? We’ll simply ask him for more!

BTW, he's saying that because Dorcas brought up he joined up to have more money to support his wife.

So yeah, I would think that could be the case for others across the games.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I interpreted "after joining" to mean "after their recruitment conversation", so Beo, Hugh, Farina, Rennac if with Eiri/Eph and Malice & Dice wouldn't count. You pay them once up front, but not ever after recruitment.

But I could be wrong with what was meant.

Oh fun fact, all your units in Genealogy actually get paid at the end of each map depending on how many castles you have. The amount isn't massive compared to Arena grinding though. Paying units is something that's only really possible with the individual money system as otherwise the money just vanishes into the ether (well of course it's possible as Volke shows, it just makes more sense with individual inventories).

Edited by Jotari

11 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

*gets mental image of awkward ginger teen with feet too big for him and zits all over his face*

Almost, almost. Yeah xD I thought along the lines how he looked in Gaiden. But I guess this goes for most of them. But Saber got a real man up.

Thanks to this thread I finally realized that its not about voluntary work in Fire emblem, took me long enough. 

7 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Almost, almost. Yeah xD I thought along the lines how he looked in Gaiden.

sevr.gif

Oh my lord. Still not bad but not good either.

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

sevr.gif

Better than when Tobin could be mistaken in at a quick glance as Grey's mannish girlfriend:

Spoiler

Page 112

And when Mae wasn't happy with Boey's "freedom".:

Spoiler

Page 114

12 hours ago, Jotari said:

Paying units is something that's only really possible with the individual money system as otherwise the money just vanishes into the ether

Although if we did reference Berwick Saga for a moment, they could use it as a way to accelerate bonds between units. Albeit not as BS did, since there is no permanent recruitment thing here. Maybe have a shop that sells gifts, and you have a limited number of uses of it per chapter. So I can give money to Ryoma to buy dragonfruit rice balls he can gift to Kagero to build up the support between them (or perhaps a ukiyo painting would be more to Kagero's liking).

22 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Celica can get gold coins earlier by trading in silver coins (at a terrible rate but they are unlimited) or by having Alm send spice over to her.

I forgot that you could exchange silver coins for gold. Shows how much I used the mechanic. I also tend to forget that food exists, especially the stat boosting kind. Usually, I end up surprised that I have the necessary ingredients to complete certain quests.

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Huh. Reminds me in a sense of Jagged Alliance, although I admit to never getting far in the game, so I never really saw more of the complex bits.

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

sevr.gif

His recruitment in the original is pretty different from the remake:

6-fe2ch2pt02img0050.png7-fe2ch2pt02img0060.png

8-fe2ch2pt02img0070.png

9-sevr.gifWhat? You wanna hire me? Hmm.... Alright, it might be interestin'.

10-fe2ch2pt02img0080.png

Source: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/Update 14/

Kamui  pretty much has the same portrait, by the way, except with green hair and both eyes:

8-fe2ch2pt05img0100.png

On 04/26/19 at 10:16 AM, Aera said:

its bc both of them are bottoms

While that's technically true, this only works for men.

Besides, it would be kind of weird if Saber actually hooked up with Celica like that. It might work with Boey or Alm, though.

6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I forgot that you could exchange silver coins for gold. Shows how much I used the mechanic. I also tend to forget that food exists, especially the stat boosting kind. Usually, I end up surprised that I have the necessary ingredients to complete certain quests.

Huh. Reminds me in a sense of Jagged Alliance, although I admit to never getting far in the game, so I never really saw more of the complex bits.

His recruitment in the original is pretty different from the remake:

6-fe2ch2pt02img0050.png7-fe2ch2pt02img0060.png

8-fe2ch2pt02img0070.png

9-sevr.gifWhat? You wanna hire me? Hmm.... Alright, it might be interestin'.

10-fe2ch2pt02img0080.png

Source: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/Update 14/

Kamui  pretty much has the same portrait, by the way, except with green hair and both eyes:

8-fe2ch2pt05img0100.png

That's also like the entirety of his dialogue in Gaiden XD

Because they're at sea, and Celica isn't a man.

But there's nothing to suggest it couldn't have happened if you think it should have. The narrative didn't cover everything everyone did for the whole voyage.

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's also like the entirety of his dialogue in Gaiden XD

The only thing missing is his death quote.

Still more personality than most Archanea characters.

. . .welp, so much for me doing my job as a mod.

One good reason?  Celica's writing is better than that.  People have different standards regarding who they'd sleep with, and it's rather smarmy to think that "hey an attractive guy, let's get to know him on a very personal level" is the first thing going through the mind of a girl who'd spent the past six or so years in a monastery.

It's a valid question, but the logic towards the conclusion is gross (and if this was satire, it was in the wrong subform), and that's why this topic is being locked.