Give me one good reason Celica didn't hook up with Saber

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt have had a problem with that hook up but its more like it doesnt fit the story at all if that did happen. if she wasnt the main character of the story i could see it being way more likely. if this was like awakening and fates you would have that option but the story is super focused on Alm and Celicas relationship. 

Saber is probably the best character from Valentia imo designwise. 

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I do think, based on character endings, that Saber marries Genny (who also states that she is into older men).

Funnily enough, I think that's not the case.

She is stated to be attracted to Saber, but her ending states she married someone nobody expected. I have the feeling that they meant that she didn't end up with him.

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Funnily enough, I think that's not the case.

She is stated to be attracted to Saber, but her ending states she married someone nobody expected. I have the feeling that they meant that she didn't end up with him.

Well, that depends on how many people know about her attraction to Saber.

And his ending states that he has a stunning bride. This is true of both of his endings. Saber is the only male with an ambiguous marriage ending, other than Kliff, who disappeared. The only other women with marriage endings without a named partner are Faye and Delthea.

Delthea only works if the "court" she is part of is the sellsword kingdom and not united Valentia or if Jesse dying is canon.

And Faye... let's not wish that on Saber.

Edited by Etheus

I'd say it's an idea carried from the days of Gaiden, where Genny's ending stated the following:

Though no one could have possibly dreamed of it happening, it’s said that she fell in love with one of her companions.
Who in the world could that person be? Her only answer is a smile.

Spcifically, the part of "one of her companions". Sure, it doesn't outright state she got married, so I guess people simply took that for granted. As it is, the Echoes ending is mostly the same, just removing the "one of her companions" bit.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

49 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Mycen never tried to say Alm and Celica were siblings. I can see the point, but it's not really incest. I see Alm and Celica as more like Simba and Nala, where it's like "holy hell you grew up hot" Alm was totally holding back a boner when Celica tackled him lol. The fight? Awkward sexual tension I guess.

If there was anything between Celica and Saber it was one sided from Celica's end. Saber's a dashing rogue, but he's also old enough to be her father and if there's laws against pedophilia then yeah, and plus I think he's attracted to women his own age.

The fact that both Saber and Lima drink too much is a good point too. Celica saw how much of a douchebag Lima is so she doesn't want that in a partner. Lima may have even been downright abusive to Liprica and his other wives when he was drunk. No girl wants that. Drunk Saber might get aggressive.

Please nobody bring up Corrin being able to bed his/her adopted siblings because Fates writing is terribad and does not count.

I'm not sure Lima ever even met Celica (not that that fact devalues your point in anyway).

33 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

This feels like a Far From The Forrest joke, if I'm being completely honest.

Anyway:

1. As people have already said, there's a pretty significant age difference between the two, with Saber being old enough to pass as Celica's father.

2. Celica already had feelings for Alm that were mutual.

3. Saber drinks (although how responsibly depends on if we're talking about Gaiden or Echoes), which as others have also brought up, may have reminded her of Lima, and she wouldn't want to marry someone like that.

4. Celica hired Saber as a bodyguard, and he decided to aid her on his own accord after she fully accepted her position as Princess and went to rescue Mila. Entering a romance would be screwed priorities on both sides, and their reputation would be taken through the mud if they did enter a relationship and it was found out.

5. Celica's main goal throughout the entire journey is finding and eventually rescuing Mila, with the attacks on the criminal empire being mandatory a happy accident. Despite her having conflicted feelings on Alm being the leader of the Deliverance and taking the fight to Rigel, she doesn't let this distract her from her journey. So Celica entering a romance at all in the course of the game would be out of character.

6. It is mentioned in Sabers ending that he married, so perhaps he already had an eye on a girl by the time Celica hires him, and never brought it up because no one asked.

Wow, wow, wait a second, who ever said anything about a romance?

30 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

i wouldnt have had a problem with that hook up but its more like it doesnt fit the story at all if that did happen. if she wasnt the main character of the story i could see it being way more likely. if this was like awakening and fates you would have that option but the story is super focused on Alm and Celicas relationship. 

Saber is probably the best character from Valentia imo designwise. 

That's really my main problem.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Do you honestly see Celica being that risky?

More likely Celica had a type and Saber didn't fill the kind of boy she liked. He is attractive but for example, he wouldn't be my type as well, people have different tastes. Also probably she had her childhood crush, Alm, in her mind all this time and didn't open to other possibilities. I know some people that can't let go old crushes and still think on high school crushes, it's not common and is quite of sad, but people who can't move on  and live in the past exists.  It's on character because Celica is not the brightest person after all.

Story wise, I believe it would be more interesting and realistic  if Celica stayed with someone like Saber or other guy that she met in the journey, but it's a remake and the original story hinted them being together so the developers needed to go with it. Not the healthiest relationship, but human relationships aren't perfect, overall imo Celica and Alm are an okay couple, I have no problems with them. 

Edited by Mylady

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think that's the main thing that's lead to this discussion going the way it has: People coming to the conclusion that this hookup is the start of a longer relationship. I'll admit that's what I had considered on first reading, so I apologise for misreading it. Then again, every post I've made on this topic hasn't been directly on that point and are a bit goofier, so I could be considered as off topic.

Many have covered the possible points I'd have, so I'll just shut it now.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Well considering she makes the single worst decision in the entire franchise and hands the villain exactly what they want (just like Eirika, but without Eirika's benefit of past friendship), I'd say that yes, Celica is a risk taker, and not a particularly smart one at that.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

She's seventeen and she's been raised primarily be priests...so yes?

1 minute ago, Mylady said:

More likely Celica had a type and Saber didn't fill the kind of boy she liked. He is attractive but he wouldn't be my type as well, for example, people have different tastes. Also probably she had her childhood crush, Alm, in her mind all this time and didn't open to other possibilities. I know some people that can't let go old crushes and still think on high school crushes, it's not common and is quite of sad, but people who can't move on  and live in the past exists.  

Story wise, I believe it would be more interesting and realistic  if Celica stayed with someone like Saber or other guy that she met in the journey, but it's a remake and the original story hinted them being together so the developers needed to go with it. Not the healthiest relationship, but human relationships aren't perfect, overall they are an okay couple. 

That's really the narrative I want to push. I'm not saying she should marry Saber. But I would have found it far more realistic and interesting if she experimented with her libido a bit before settling down with that one guy she barely knows.

10 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Well considering she makes the single worst decision in the entire franchise and hands the villain exactly what they want (just like Eirika, but without Eirika's benefit of past friendship), I'd say that yes, Celica is a risk taker, and not a particularly smart one at that.

That's a point I guess. But ending up with an unplanned pregnancy from that is a bit different than letting Jedah have his way to save Mila.

Saber would totally at least try to be a good dad though.

That's really the narrative I want to push. I'm not saying she should marry Saber. But I would have found it far more realistic and interesting if she experimented with her libido a bit before settling down with that one guy she barely knows.

From experience...as a 28 year old single female...experimenting with libido doesn't require a real flesh and blood man, yes I went there. She may be too shy to ask Saber or even Boey etc and plus it's easier to hide that self experimenting from the priests than sneaking men around.

Edited by Dragoncat

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I'm not sure Lima ever even met Celica (not that that fact devalues your point in anyway).

Given Celicas reaction to certain rooms in Zofia palace, I'd say Lima did, but he was most certainly apathetic even if he didn't. Heck, according to the Valentia Accordion, his reaction to the villia being burnt down and some of his heirs being killed amounted to "meh".

20 minutes ago, Jotari said:

See point 4. It'd be screwed priorities.

Saber might get executed for laying with a member of the royal family, and even if he didn't, that wouldn't help his mercenary business. Especially since he was supposed to be her bodyguard.

As for Celica, well, we don't know what Mila's followers thought about celibacy and abstinence before marriage, but considering if that was found out... well, she'd be called a lot of nasty words once she became queen. Not to mention loose much of the peoples faith and trust, and  considering Lima most certainly wasn't loved for his polygamy, they might think "here's round two", which could inspire more rebellions. Considering that the united Valentia had to deal with several rebellions and brigands as is after the main story was over,  Celica having a one-night stand wouldn't help matters. And that's not even getting into Alm's response.

Edited by Hawkwing
Whoops, wrong point. Also made some word changes.

10 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

That's a point I guess. But ending up with an unplanned pregnancy from that is a bit different than letting Jedah have his way to save Mila.

Saber would totally at least try to be a good dad though.

From experience...as a 28 year old single female...experimenting with libido doesn't require a real flesh and blood man, yes I went there. She may be too shy to ask Saber or even Boey etc and plus it's easier to hide that self experimenting from the priests than sneaking around.

Are you a reasonably attractive Princess stuck on a long sea voyage with a man who's clearly displayed he's down for that sort of thing though?

4 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Given Celicas reaction to certain rooms in Zofia palace, I'd say Lima did, but he was most certainly apathetic even if he didn't. Heck, according to the Valentia Accordion, his reaction to the villia being burnt down and some of his heirs being killed amounted to "meh".

See point 5. It'd be screwed priorities.

Saber might get executed for laying with a member of the royal family, and even if he didn't, that wouldn't help his mercenary business. Especially since he was supposed to be her bodyguard.

As for Celica, well, we don't know what Mila's followers thought about celibacy and abstinence before marriage, but considering if that was found out... well, she'd be called a lot of nasty words once she became queen. Not to mention loose much of the peoples faith and trust, as Lima most certainly wasn't loved for his polygamy, and they would think "here's round two", which might inspire more rebellions. Considering that the united Valentia had to deal with several rebellions and brigands as is after the main story was over,  Celica having a one-night stand wouldn't help matters. And that's not even getting into Alm's response.

Celica has no intention of ever revealing her Royal heritage to the world until the end of Chapter 3 though.

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I mean, maybe she experimented? It's not shown on screen, Celica's potential  sexual life it's not important to the narrative lol  Also as others mentioned having sex with random people it's not the only way women experiment with their own libido. 

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Are you a reasonably attractive Princess stuck on a long sea voyage with a man who's clearly displayed he's down for that sort of thing though?

Celica has no intention of ever revealing her Royal heritage to the world until the end of Chapter 3 though.

Not everyone that is attractive fall for each other.

Maybe Celica was a puritan and wanted to save herself to marriage, maybe she wasn't into Saber and wanted to wait to have sex with someone special, maybe the priestess code required being caste and she followed it until she needed to marry, maybe she did it before being with Alm and we will never know.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So? Contrary to popular belief, men don't always think with their dicks.

Besides, it was Saber's job to protect his employer, so that's what he's going to do. What Saber does with his money is his own business, but sleeping with the person that hired him would damage his reputation and make it harder to find work. Knowing that a skilled mercenary is also a ladies man is one thing, but knowing that a mercenary slept with the person he was hired to protect only makes it less likely that employers will trust them with other responsibilities. Saber most likely knows this, and thus would keep any feelings of that sort to himself. If he even has them in the first place, that is.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And Celica never uses that as an excuse at anytime throughout the story. And several people in the Duma Faithful already know who she is, as do many on Novis Island. Heck, Alm figures it out himself at the end of Act 3. Sooner or later, the secret would fully be out, and having a rumor that she slept with someone outside of marriage is attached to the reveal wouldn't help matters. Again, King Lima was infamous for his polygamy, so seeing one of his heirs keep up that trend would only sour the peoples thoughts to their new leader.

Celica did make a foolish and rash decision regarding Jedah in Act 4 and 5. However, that doesn't mean her entire character is an idiot. Celica would know what the short and long term consequences of sleeping with someone outside of marriage would result in, especially with her status as the next potential ruler of Zofia/Valentia. That, and similar to Lima's drinking problem as mentioned by others, perhaps Celica also hated his polygamy and decided that she would remain faithful to her own spouse.

24 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oof, yeah, being on the sea voyage, the priests can't catch her. But now the issue is, she could very well start catching more feelings than expected and get her heart broken later when it can't become a full blown romance. Which I can totally relate to. I'm not drop dead gorgeous, but if I wanted to I could probably pull a man off Tinder for a hookup. But I don't. Because I'm a romantic at heart. I want there to be a good emotional connection first.

16 minutes ago, Mylady said:

maybe she wasn't into Saber and wanted to wait to have sex with someone special,

Basically this.

This is an unexpected, and very silly topic. (With a measure of seriousness weaved in.)

To which I will add that handing Saber the Golden Dagger is the G-rated rewrite of what IS had originally intended for that scene. Like the pizza man, Celica couldn't pay up, and she resorted to alternative forms of compensation. 

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I don't think sexual repression is always the result of conservative upbringings? Some people naturally end up being conservative in such affairs?

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I think you're being perfectly fair in this point. Predestined lovers from beginning to end can be boring and unrealistic. Of canon FE couples, the only one I think that had another love beforehand at all might be Lewyn- but only in passing does he say he once had a crush on Erinys's sister-, and Sigurd- who may I think have had some feelings for Edain before meeting Deidre.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think you're being perfectly fair in this point. Predestined lovers from beginning to end can be boring and unrealistic. Of canon FE couples, the only one I think that had another love beforehand at all might be Lewyn- but only in passing does he say he once had a crush on Erinys's sister-, and Sigurd- who may I think have had some feelings for Edain before meeting Deidre.

Wow, Deirdre is quite a relationship breaker..

Now that you mention Genealogy, relationships there look much more realistic in my Opinion, because there are some characters who even change their partners after having a Child.

Which I really appreciate. And yeah, predistined lovers need a ton amount of good writing to be likable.  In Echoes we have Zeke, who fits in that section even with the Amnesia plot, before Tatiana he had Nyna. ouhhh a little trick, but still valid..

I wouldn't mind a promiscuity couple in Fire Emblem. But I guess they do not dare anymore...hopefully this does not get out of hand mentioning this. xD

38 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To which I will add that handing Saber the Golden Dagger is the G-rated rewrite of what IS had originally intended for that scene. Like the pizza man, Celica couldn't pay up, and she resorted to alternative forms of compensation. 

Or Celica is an inexperienced quest giver, and gave the item reward before the gold one. Saber, being the experienced Action RPG protagonist he is, is inwardly laughing his butt off for this incompetency of giving him the weapon as a down-payment at all, as the sword could be used to finish the sidequest easier, and/or he could sell it for more gold to buy better equipment later on. Still, he hadn't had a quest in a while, and dungeon crawling can get boring from time to time, so he agrees. As the quest continues, however, Saber is engaged by the plot, and decides to continue on with it even after he received the reward because he wants to see what happens next. Heck, he doesn't even mind that the original sword was taken from him and forged into a unique weapon that only the NPC can use (although it helps that he found better equipment as the journey continued anyway).

16 minutes ago, Stroud said:

Wow, Deirdre is quite a relationship breaker..

Although if there was love on Sigurd's part, it was one-way. I found this old interview segment which leaves the door open to that possibility:

Spoiler

*Edain’s the type of person who’s indifferent about romance
Kaga’s comment: Edain is a ‘heroine-type’ character.
While I won’t say I intended for Sigurd to feel the same way, Edain feels friendship for Sigurd due to the time they spent together as childhood friends. Her courters are only interested in her romantically, so Sigurd may be one of the only ones she holds respect for. Edain is Edain, and she’s not really the type to be head-over-heels in love, not to mention that she also has her own goal of searching for her elder sister.

And you're right with the whole LachesisxBeowolf to LachesisxFinn situation. Fergus was also fathered by Beowolf, before Diarmuid if the character age listed here came from a reputable source, and I think it did.

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Or Celica is an inexperienced quest giver, and gave the item reward before the gold one. Saber, being the experienced Action RPG protagonist he is, is inwardly laughing his butt off for this incompetency of giving him the weapon as a down-payment at all, as the sword could be used to finish the sidequest easier, and/or he could sell it for more gold to buy better equipment later on. Still, he hadn't had a quest in a while, and dungeon crawling can get boring from time to time, so he agrees. As the quest continues, however, Saber is engaged by the plot, and decides to continue on with it even after he received the reward because he wants to see what happens next. Heck, he doesn't even mind that the original sword was taken from him and forged into a unique weapon that only the NPC can use (although it helps that he found better equipment as the journey continued anyway).

Clever commentary, I haven't really noticed the partial irony of that side quest logic before.

And I sure the Beloved Zofia wasn't forged right away- it's the only weapon that makes delicious food out of corpses besides Mila's Bow. How else would they get Boey to shut up were it not for throwing an Orange in his mouth that a moment ago used to be a fetid endocrine gland?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

27 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And you're right with the whole LachesisxBeowolf to LachesisxFinn situation. Fergus was also fathered by Beowolf, before Diarmuid if the character age listed here came from a reputable source, and I think it did.

So Edain is not really interested, fits also right. Not all characters in Fire Emblem need a relationship like nowadays. That is a reason I would like the ships to be more limited, so that they are befitting the characters...

I just like some diversity there, as I also like Reina in Fates for being a bit different choice being an older woman.

Yeah, this for example. It is really intriguing. 
I also loved to take a look at the family tree in genealogy. It was not rare there for characters to conceive children from 2 different partners.

Here is the family Tree from genealogy. Well, I mean if the game is called that way it should be that way I guess. xD

Spoiler

jugdral_family_tree.jpg

Edited by Stroud

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

In honest truth, I just wish the characters that were upgraded to "Plot Relevant Status" actually effected the characters and plot instead of being, basically, cardboard cutouts who deliver a mandatory opinion whenever something happens without real contribution.

I don't get how Saber and Celica being an item would help with that.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Clever commentary, I haven't really noticed the partial irony of that side quest logic before.

Thank you. I always find it fun to use videogame logic from different genres to.

Really, though, since when has a mercenary in this series actually been paid after joining the heroes?

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I sure the Beloved Zofia wasn't forged right away- it's the only weapon that makes delicious food out of corpses besides Mila's Bow. How else would they get Boey to shut up were it not for throwing an Orange in his mouth that a moment ago used to be a fetid endocrine gland?

Without DLC, you can only forge the Beloved Zofia after defeating Grieth, as he's carrying a gold coin. Not that it matters, because by the time you do that, you will potentially have a steel sword, an iron sword, the blessed sword, and a brave sword (and a shadow sword if you decided to go north, for some reason). More than enough options to replace the Golden Dagger, even if you decide to make Atlus a mercenary and use the pitchfork on Celicas side to make yet another merc.

I do wish that the Beloved Zofia kept Earths Bounty. Although having a low cost and guaranteed food after defeating an enemy would make it a bit too abusable, and it's not like the game has a lack of provisions as is.