Tediz64

So I did this with Oni-con last year but now it's time for Matsuri. We are about 7 weeks out and it's here in Houston. 

Is anybody interested in discussing it and/or maybe wanting to hang out to make new friends and pass teams for FE?

I was contemplating bringing my switch to see if anyone wants to play Fire Emblem Warriors. I know on the 2nd or 3rd floor of the George R. Brown Convention center they have a game room and usually have one TV free for set up. I wouldn't even mind bringing my own if I can get permission from staff. 

If only it was after the July release of 3 Houses then we could play that but eh, oh well. 

Also I forgot but I have pictures from On that I can share. I bumped into a group of cosplay goes who did FE outfits

IMG_20171028_145144.jpg

1 hour ago, BLSoldier said:

I hate to be that guy, but have you heard the controversy surrounding Anime Matsuri?

You don't hate being that guy. Otherwise your hatred would have compelled you to not act. So saying that doesn't mean i'm fix to go easy on you or that group called Boycott Anime Matsuri. I hope you are ready for a serious debate. If you can't refute my points i'll demand you remove your own post with an edit saying you apologize for your actions and how you spread awareness in the most ignorant way possible. You want results? Let me show you how to think and actually understand something before you open your mouth. 

Now....where to start. Let us begin with John Legih's job and position. He is only is a event organizer! In other words, all he does is take phone calls and set up appointments with vendors and various other people while signing paperwork to rent out the space he occupies. He is nothing more than a glorified clerk who makes good bank money.For an organization bent on advocating better conditions they sure are going about it in a very wrong way. It isn't that hard to simply oust him. It isn't as if he is protected by a board that has to vote him out. His position isn't elected. He literally just took it upon himself to do a job nobody else wants to do. That position is a leadership position that requires multi tasking, being organized, and being committed (by filling out that paperwork, meeting individuals back to back going over paperwork and doing follow up phone calls). Not to mention neither article says anyone filed charges or did a report so i do question the authenticity. I saw in the 2nd article screen shots were posted but that seems more to me like he is simply a person with horrible social etiquette. His position doesn't offer him immunity to the law. If he subsequently denied access to any artist/entertainer after refusing his sexual advances, he can easily be taken to court especially if prior to the refusal he had already shown interest but then suddenly change his mind. He can easily be replaced if i'm not mistaken especially since he doesn't take part in the production of anything that is sold or any of the services offered like the maid cafe. Why doesn't this organization try to install a better organizer?

Let us now discuss how this effects the average person (we'll do others in a second). It doesn't at all. End of story. Does a simple con goer attending this event mean they condone his actions (if they even know about it in the first place)? NO IT DOESN'T. Does boycotting really mean you are sending a message to John to stand down? NO, IT DOES NOT. You have to understand that his position is fixed in regards to money. He doesn't earn anything from commission like others normally would. His earnings are fixed the moment he gets people to sign contracts with him as far as a vendor wanting to set up a booth to sell their products, an artist wanting to set up a room in advance to do autograph signing, and so forth. He doesn't get commission is the point so you boycotting doesn't HURT HIM AT ALL. It does you (the con-goer) literally no good what so ever. It strips you of an opportunity to buy anime related goods, to meet new people, make new friends, participate in things you normally couldn't, learn something new or pick up another hobby, and a chance to meet people who are part of the production of anime/manga. 

Now we discuss how this effects others which by the way is a whole lot worse. As vendor, people boycotting is bad for business. As an entertainer, people boycotting is bad in the sense that you don't get to meet your beloved fans and spread your name even further. As a artist in the fan-made section, again it is bad for business. Now lets talk about back home (our motherland to any otaku reading this). This negatively impacts them tremendously. Do you understand that these vendors had to secure their goods by signing a contract with others and then attempt to come over here to sell them? Do you understand that by purchasing these goods the vendor has to give a portion of the profits back to the original producers? Do you understand how not being about to sell (since people are boycotting) in the long run hurts the companies back home? Had they made those sales off american otaku, that'd be money and revenue they could use to further produce more anime or manga. Another 2nd season to some of our favorite animes. The list goes on.

By you boycotting you hurt more than just yourself. You don't even scratch people like John. So you and this stupid organization don't even realize your tactics are not only misguided and ineffective, but hurt others that are innocent. You hurt japanese companies. You hurt otaku trying make new friends. You hurt vendors who make a living off these sales. You hurt entertainers and artists, and so many more. If you really wanted to oust John, REPLACE HIM by finding someone more competent to do the job and that won't do anything that is similar to sexual harassment. I saw in one of those articles how both a staff member and a regular con-goer mentioned how unorganized the event is yet i don't see anybody stepping up to the challenge of doing a better job than him? Why not? Because that specific stupid organization is part of a movement that wants attention and their 15 minutes of fame on tv. They don't actually care about REAL RESULTS. Otherwise they would have administered street justice by finding this guy or replaced him. I mean does it really take 4+ years to replace a clerk? The accusations start back as early as 2015 if i'm not mistaken

As a side note in reference what i underlined, i only feel this way about groups that i've researched and can assess they don't seriously want results or mean anything positive. This whole #me too movement stuff really gets under my skin when it is fake posers hurting real victims by adding onto the growing list of attention seeking/grabbing groups. I want justice for victims, but i can also say i seriously want to bring the hammer down on any liars/frauds. They are no worse than the perpetrators who commit crimes as well. They damage the credibility of victims, exploit our system for a pay-day, and some don't even hesitate or show any remorse for their actions. They are definition of corruption and greed and i want the same fate for them as i want for those who commit crimes. 

So i need for you to apologize for smearing the principal of anime conventions (in this case Matsuri). I need you to encourage people to attend this event because it benefits individuals way more than it "supposedly" punishes the bad apples mixed in with innocent people. Either retract your statement or acknowledge your ignorant behavior. Did you want real results? Are you thinking of boycotting now? This level of thinking and planning (that i demonstrated) is what you should strive toward. UNDERSTAND how bad people operate and then find a way to hurt them but not cause or inflict any collateral damage against any innocent by-standers. 

@Azure in a Roundabout I don't know about momo-con since I never attended that one. It is in a state I'm not from. I only know about Matsuri, Oni, San-Japan, and Comkit since those are the only ones I've ever attended. The other poster comes from that state so I think you meant to @ him and not me. Although I think you shouldn't pay much attention to this kind of stuff. Just go. You shouldn't strip yourself of a chance to go have fun and meet people and show your financial support for anime companies. Just take safety precautions so you aren't in any danger and that should be adequate enough to have a good time.

Edited by Tediz64

17 minutes ago, Tediz64 said:

@Azure in a Roundabout I don't know about momo-con since I never attended that one. It is in a state I'm not from. I only know about Matsuri, Oni, San-Japan, and Comkit since those are the only ones I've ever attended. The other poster comes from that state so I think you meant to @ him and not me. Although I think you shouldn't pay much attention to this kind of stuff. Just go. You shouldn't strip yourself of a chance to go have fun and meet people and show your financial support for anime companies. Just take safety precautions so you aren't in any danger and that should be adequate enough to have a good time.

Actually, I thought you’d have known.

@BLSoldier, can you tell me what has happened with Momocon (if there ever was any controversy)?

Edit: Nvm, I might not. Going to New York around then. Will look for an NY convention.

Edit 2: Seems to be none happening at be beginning of summer I can sign up for in time. There is Hamacon happening here in Alabama, though, so I might go there. NuCon, too, but still.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

• 2 weeks later...