Feedback for "Fire Emblem Heroes: House of Sues"

shiningpikablu252

Your thoughts on "House of Sues"?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Just how lame is the overall material in "House of Sues"?

• I'd rather watch a film with a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.
    • I'd rather watch a Uwe Boll flick adapted from a video game.
    • I'd rather play Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.
    • I'd rather watch paint dry.
    • I'd rather watch Da Boom Crew.
    • I'd rather have a buffalo take a diarrhea dump in my ear.
    • I'd rather listen to the music of one of those no-talent hacks that won American Idol.
    • I'd rather stand in line at the DMV.
    • I'd rather watch a RiffTrax take on an episode of Match Game '98.
    • I'd rather watch "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List" and compare this fic's quality to her material.

This is the feedback thread for "Fire Emblem Heroes: House of Sues".  Please keep all feedback to this thread so as to not clutter the main story.

This story was unspooled as originally written at varying intervals between roughly 9:40 PM Central to 1:10 AM Central on the evening of May 4, 2019 (going into May 5 based on strict adherence to dates changing over at midnight).  My thoughts as to the project were posted below once the last chapter finished; as I did not want my vision to be influenced by comments as I was unspooling it, I would have not read any comments posted in the interim until after the project was finished.

As the opening spiel at the start of the story implies, bringing my vision to life involved opening a few small cans of worms unavoidably (as not everybody's going to agree with how I've handled some of the quirks), but opening major cans of worms--or worse, Pandora's Box--was not my intent.  I want people to enjoy the story for what it is as a whole, not being majorly irked by minor choices in character quirks.

Edited by shiningpikablu252

Now that I've finished unspooling the story, it's time for my thoughts as to the project.  Keep in mind, I haven't yet read any of the comments posted to this point, as I didn't want people trying to interfere with my vision to the story.

I got the inspiration to write this story on a random whim at some point after Sue was added to Heroes.  Mainly, the reason to make all of the Sues vastly different from one another is based on how much is and isn't ironclad canon concerning her family heritage--namely, how Rath being her father is technically heavily implication as opposed to ironclad canon.  Sure, a number of the key pieces are there (Dayan being Rath's father, and him being Sue's grandfather are both ironclad canon), but Rath isn't established in FE6, and Sue is not name-dropped in FE7, thus establishing a chance of doubt--and thus, part of this story's charm.

(And no, please do not point me toward Meet the Heroes.  That source has proven itself sketchy from the outset, as it's known to contradict information that actually is ironclad canon, most notably the birth order of the Nifl siblings.  Yes, Heroes proper does indeed state that Gunnthrá is the eldest of the Nifl siblings and Hríd is the second-eldest, this was established in the ending of Book II Chapter 9 Part 5; Meet the Heroes stating that Hríd is the eldest and Gunnthrá is second-eldest is therefore a contradiction of ironclad canon, thus damaging its credibility.  Odds are whomever wrote those Meet the Heroes entries hasn't actually played the game, or else they would have known better; odds are anybody who believe those Meet the Heroes entries as a reliable source of character information probably haven't played the chapter part in question and thus believe that Gunnthrá eldest/Hríd second-eldest was mere fanon theory that Meet the Heroes jossed, not an ironclad canon fact from within the game that Meet the Heroes outright contradicted.  Meet the Heroes's reputation as a sketchy source means that their statements on Sue's parentage cannot be taken as for-sure accurate, given a slight lack of corroborating information from the original Elibe games.)

Now, I'm not trying to outright deny the possibility that Rath is indeed canonically Sue's father--if I was a denier, none of the Sues would be Rath's daughters.  All I'm doing is using the fact that a key link is missing for attempted amusement value, using whatever pieces are in fact there in a number of different combinations to create a number of vastly different characters out of the same baseline.  The fact that Dayan has ironclad canon links to both Rath and Sue does mean that the fact that Rath and Sue are related is ironclad canon but the exact relationship between them is not has been reflected a number of different ways between the seven Sues, as are a number of other ways FE7's variables could ripple into the FE6 world.  (Of course, I could have very well created an extremely screwball Sue that not only had never been to Sacae, but was Hawkeye's daughter and Igrene's sister on top of that, for mere laughability that I had come up with such an idea, but I chose not to do so as I wanted the Sues to at least be somewhat believable.)  Part of the reason why I went with three out of seven of the Sues being Rath's daughters was to account for fleshing out the potential of potential unseen siblings of Rath's that may or may not have existed in the FE7 timeline (Rath is neither an established only child nor has any established siblings); the fact that the Rath/Lyn pairing only happens twice among the seven Sues' worlds, while more of the Lilinas that were met in the prologue's lobby are implied to be Lyn's daughters, basically nods how heavily pushed Hector/Lyn is in FE7.  FE7's variables rippling into the FE6 world may very well be most apparent with Sue #3--the Raths of the other six Sues' worlds survived the events of FE7 and thus got to know their respective Sue personally, but the Rath of Sue #3's world didn't even survive his FE7 recruitment chapters and thus never knew his world's Sue.  The fact that flexible parentages even exist in FE6 Elibe's case is played a few times, not just for the Sues but also for some of the Roys and Lilinas seen and mentioned; you probably agree that the prospect of a Lyn-mothered Roy and a Lyn-mothered Lilina hitting it off may come off as creepy, which was the intended vibe.  FE6 Elibe's fluidity allows a wider number of character interpretations in a fashion that a more rigid world such as Magvel does not; odds are a Lute +6 would not be nearly as crazy as the Lugh +6 seen in Sue #6's tale, probably at worst remembering both sides of the route split vividly.

The fact that I made it so that it appeared that each of the Sues were summoned from different points along similar parts of the timeline also allowed for additional variables to become part of the plot; different points along the timeline allow for different reactions to events actually taken from canonical experiences.  The first of those I wrote were the Tailtius that were used to establish Sue #4's quirks, and later made it a core part of how Sue #6's tale got told (complete with callback to the Tailtius).  And yes, I confess that I came up with the cores out of order; in fact, Sue #7's core was the first character core I first began writing (although the initial prologue was the first to be worked on), followed by #4's, #1's, #6's, #3's, #5's, and finally #2's.  I also spent a bit of time refining the cores so they came across less like Z-list material and more like D-list material at best.  Although I do not plan on a direct follow-up to this story, the fact that a #8 got referenced with the possibility that she could actually be summoned and come from farther along the timeline, possibly influencing the seven Sues actually in the story, was an interesting point to write, one that probably wouldn't have come to be had I opted to simply pull from a roughly fixed point along the timeline.

Overall, whipping up and refining Sue #7's core was my favorite experience in writing this story, although Sue #4 comes somewhat close, especially in her later refinement.  They might not necessarily be your favorite characters; someone might like Sue #1 the best, or maybe Sue #3 is their favorite, or Sue #6 is liked better than all others by someone.  Maybe even Tailtiu #2 or Gerik:  Desert Tiger could prove to be somebody's favorites!

Another of the scenes I found it enjoyable to write was the scene where #3 went to get the soft drinks; although the primary purpose of the scene was to establish "Gerik:  Desert Ranger" from the fictionalized "Colored Bows" banner as a secondary alternate (while I peronally prefer taking Gerik down Ranger in FE8, which may be part of the reason I even thought up that variant to begin with, I would imagine his primary form in Heroes would take sword infantry form), I actually enjoyed writing up what went up going on with #3 while she was getting the drinks (believe it or not, I initially wrote its aftermath as an unseen event that #3 described prior to #5 spinning her tale until I thought it would make a good idea for the side material associated with #5's tale).  Also, "Alm:  Rigelian Bow" was first thought of before the Legendary Alm banner was revealed; this variant was envisioned as a rough parallel to Fallen Celica, hence why I had it depicted as a normal variant as opposed to a Legendary one.  Legendary Alm going colorless bow proved to be for the best; had it been a red bow, I would have changed the red bow part of the "Colored Bows" banner to someone else (I never got far enough in thinking to make a decision as to who, that would have likely taken place after the Legendary Alm reveal trailer), and thus I would have had to come up with different side material for #3's tale.  The "Colored Bows" banner itself was among the first things I wrote when actually beginning to work on the story, and it was spurred primarily by the fact that Sue herself was a green bow bound for the regular summoning pool--hence I had a ready-made green anchor for a fictionalized colored-bow banner.

Also, yes, chapters 3 and 4 coming up back-to-back within minutes was an accident.  I had impulsively hit submit after doing a once-over prior to what I had planned on letting it sit before my planned interval between chapter submissions.  As a result, I opted to increase the timeframe before the following three submissions by about ten minutes each in order to realign the ending to the roughly originally-planned timeframe (hence chapter 4 went up 30 minutes earlier than intended, chapter 5 went up 20 minutes early, chapter 6 went up 10 minutes early, and chapter 7 went up on time).

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed "House of Sues".  Yeah, it's a collection of a bunch of lame ideas put together into story form, but it was a joy for me to write.  I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together--at least as much as one can enjoy reading lame material.

If you're thinking of coming up with suggestions to help improve the experience, keep in mind that I will flat-out ignore any suggestions that I change the parentages of any of the Sues.  Pretty much anything else I might consider...