Trees look pretty bad in this game (for now)

famitsu-dimitri1.jpg

The flora in this game is aMAZinG.

Jokes aside

Spoiler

They should've kept their VN like user interface they had in Echoes. Much more bearable to look at. Character's looked more engaging with their artwork than meh models. Also, the background artwork was good to look at sometimes

FE isn't known for it's 3D. Why make it be part of a majority of your game? You already nailed the presentation in Echoes when it came to dialogue and town exploration. Why take steps back? There's also the minimalistic yet relaxing base or whatever it's called in the Tellius games.

Of course they could polish it, but the release date is getting pretty close. If we're still seeing something like this 1 month before launch then it's very likely that's the end product

Edited by redlight

They're trying too hard to make this game exceptionally detailed - if this game was on a console with the same graphical capability as the 3DS I'd still be just as excited but they should have tried a simpler graphical style with more polish as tbh Dimitri and Byleth are hardly the focus of that shot because the jaggy models are taking the player's attention away.

Most of the graphics in this game look pretty bad. We could have had another Radiant Dawn on our hands really, if not for the fact that FE is well-known nowadays. But, you know, that's just how it is, and it's not like we've never dealt with it.

The reviews will probably take a hit as a result, though, no avoiding that.

Edited by Cysx

I'm pretty sure I saw a cloud in three frames of footage from two trailers ago that was 48 polygons short of sufficiently round and fluffy.

*?? at the criticism*

Well there is always 

??17 to fix things up. I'll assume it'll run on the same engine as ?, and given PoR was ugly for its time but RD using the same engine looked so much better, 17 should look great.

that background right there reminds me of playstation 2 era games.

as it is right now, it looks like they just put cartoonish characters in a 3D environment. they really should have either kept all the in-game graphics in traditional 3D like in Awakening/Fates, or just make everything in cel-shading in order for the characters to blend better with the scenery.

the problem is that the rendering in 3D cel-shading of the characters is entirely off compared to the traditional 3D background, so it makes the whole thing weird to look at.

i really, really hope they won't screw up the gameplay and story, because in terms of visuals it's been a complete disappointment for me so far.

Graphics in general are pretty poor if not outright bad. The only thing in that screenshot, and most of the ones from the Famitsu article for that matter, that don't look poor or bad is the UI and character art. 

Why they didn't go for a more abstract and artistic graphics style and instead went for more detailed/realistic is kind of baffling to me for a variety of reasons. This was never going to be a big budget graphical showcase. Neither IS or KT have the pedigree or experience with high quality HD graphics so why not do what other series have done in similar situations to cover up those graphical shortcomings and shoot for style over fidelity? Like Valkyria Chronicles or Ni No Kuni, even Persona. 

Edited by Enduin

Eh, I'll give them that it's their first time on a home console in over ten years...

Either way, I don't play FE for pretty scenery, though I do like the castle scenes from the E3 trailer.

6 minutes ago, Lau said:

Either way, I don't play FE for pretty scenery, though I do like the castle scenes from the E3 trailer.

Agreed. As long as they're not too horrid, I don't care about graphics. I'd rather just play the game.

Kinda reminds me of Wizard 101.

Jokes aside, I really don't think the graphics will be all too important. The objects in the background are identifiable as trees and bushes, so there's that at least.

13 minutes ago, Enduin said:

Graphics in general are pretty poor if not outright bad. The only thing in that screenshot, and most of the ones from the Famitsu article for that matter, that don't look poor or bad is the UI and character art. 

Why they didn't go for a more abstract and artistic graphics style and instead went for more detailed/realistic is kind of baffling to me for a variety of reasons. This was never going to be a big budget graphical showcase. Neither IS or KT have the pedigree or experience with high quality HD graphics so why not do what other series have done in similar situations to cover up those graphical shortcomings and shoot for style over fidelity? Like Valkyria Chronicles or Ni No Kuni, even Persona. 

I'd say some at Koei Tecmo are more than competent in that regard. Not the musou team though, apparently.

3 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I'd say some at Koei Tecmo are more than competent in that regard. Not the musou team though, apparently.

That's cause Musou games are the definition of budget HD titles. Not a whole lot in the pot for detailed and polished graphics when you're averaging 200-700k sales for an HD game with dozens of playable characters and hundreds of enemies on screen.

Edited by Enduin

1 minute ago, Enduin said:

That's cause Musou games are the definition of budget HD titles. Not a whole lot in the pot for detailed and polished graphics when you're averaging 200-700k sales for an HD game with dozens of playable characters and hundreds of enemies on screen.

I know, I know. One wishes they'd have gone with some other partnership, and the only reason I can see why they didn't is money. Yet we have reason to think that they have money.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

My focus is on the conversation, not the local scenery.

Exactly. It's just unnecessary fluff. They should stick to the more VN like presentation in past games. Less resources spent unnecessarily

Edited by redlight

Fire Emblem has never really been ground breaking with their graphics, but it is neat that they are trying something new for them.

If they ever come out with another FE game on the switch I bet the graphics will improve a smidgen more.:lol:

I did not really mind the backgrounds, it's a FE, but damn these sure are ugly. :< Why insist on the fact that "Wow you can now run around the school in 3D ! Wooowww" and then show us uninteresting and ugly backgrounds ? I mean look at that bench, were they out of good bench designs that fit the fantasy-school theme ?! And look at these dull and sad colours ??! FE: Echoes was faaaaaar better for sure.

I'm still optimistic, I'm ranting just for the pleasure of dissing the backgrounds we were shown. I hope in-game I'll forget them. ^^'

38 minutes ago, redlight said:

Exactly. It's just unnecessary fluff. They should stick to the more VN like presentation in past games. Less resources spent unnecessarily

. . .so, uh, if it's "unnecessary fluff", then why did you make a topic, specifically to point out the trees?