What do you want the most out of Three Houses?

Above all else, genuinely great maps. I don't love the tone thus far, but great maps would go a long way.

More than anything, I want maps that have more objectives than rout and kill commander, but make gimmicks feel special, so that the learning curve of the maps seems best (i.e. mastery of stage 10s mechanics goes a long way in stage 15).

I could also do with more commoners (going with Golden Deer for this reason), and for reclassing decisions to actively effect narrative (a person who loves pegasi, has trained with them all their life, etc. should not be suiting up as a mage. It needs to feel natural).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, DeoGame said:

and for reclassing decisions to actively effect narrative (a person who loves pegasi, has trained with them all their life, etc. should not be suiting up as a mage. It needs to feel natural).

I kinda want someone who goes in the opposite direction. a Character that wants to be the greatest Swordsman/Mage/Whatever, but is absolutely terrible that field.

Good plot and characters is first and foremost. Anything beyond that is window dressing. With that disclaimer, let's dress those windows:

• No kids. Pairing and S-ranks are fine, and I'd even accept Byleth's kid as post-game or DLC content if they absolutely have to, but otherwise, no kids.
  • If there's no kids, we don't need to worry about pairing wrongly and missing children. So don't force pairings for people that don't make sense. I'll take 5 good supports over 15 of drastically varying quality.
  • Likewise, if S-ranks return, don't jump straight to marriage. There's no pregnancies to legitimize or wedding rings to prove lineage, so a simple confession is plenty.
  • Proper paired endings, not Fates' A+B approach or Robin's insert-spouse-name-here. And make some of them platonic while you're at it, I miss that.
  • Tellius-style base conversations. It's so nice to see how characters are reacting to the events of the plot, even if you never use them. Echoes-style was OK, but was hampered by not being chapter-specific and requiring happening upon the characters by chance between main story missions.
  • World-building that somehow doesn't suffer from the fact that you seemingly have a home base you'll be returning to constantly. I want to experience the cultures and histories of these nations firsthand. And for these nations to have cultures and histories.
  • An interesting villain(s). If the final boss has to be a Big Evil Dragon then fine, whatever, but at least make the guys leading up to it compelling.
  • Don't make the Avatar the center of the universe. Of course, they're already a time-manipulating, mystical sword-wielding, so-skilled-I-don't-need-a-teaching-degree player insert whose father is the greatest knight in history, so it's probably too late. But at least let the other characters shine on their own merits without constantly suggesting they "couldn't have done it without you, Teacher."
  • Differentiation between units of the same class, like how Echoes had a different set of learned spells for each individual Mage/Cleric. It makes the anyone-can-be-anything approach a lot more palatable.
  • Warp/Rescue/etc spells early without making them Too Rare To Use. Silque and Faye zapping people across the map was one of my favorite parts of Echoes.
  • Good map design. Map design was one of my least-favorite parts of Echoes.
  • Don't cross a line with pandering/fan-service. No petting, no hot spring mishaps, no Raider weapons etc. And if you have to put a thong on any of your female models, at least don't make it the armor knight.

I could probably keep going, but I just noticed that the thread title is "What do you want the most out of Three Houses?" so...whoops. I'll stop now. My "most" is good plot and characters.

Edited by egobarrier
Spelling

A story that harkens back to the older games. No friendship is magic, no children when it doesn't make sense for the story and less cliché anime tropes. I just want a good old fashion war epic, with interesting and likeable characters experiencing the dual themes of fellowship and tragedy which has been missing from the series since Awakening. 

Edited by Wraith

Well:

-Varied map win conditions. Conquest was a good step but the other 3DS games didn't have much in terms of this. I just want more than route and seize.

-Speaking of maps, I'm not expecting Conquest tier since, unless each different house route is varied by difficulty if the route splits are that extensive, I doubt this game is going to be Conquest level difficulty, but good maps are a necessity. 3DS maps weren't the best imo and were all very flat or too gimmicky in Revelation's case. I think PoR or RD level would be fine.

-Decent story. As we all know Fates was shite story wise. FE has never prioritised story, but Fates was a new low and even then, most FE stories were decent and SoV imo was a step in the right direction (even if it did have a foundation to build off (and was a bit choppy at some points later down the road...)). I would love a more character oriented story, ala Blazing Sword, Path of Radiance and Shadow Dragon, but with the amount of mcs, I don't think that will happen.

-Good characters. This is gonna make my list sound more generic than it already is, but characters are imperative. By the looks of it, each house seems to have a gimmick (Black Eagles being more standard, Blue Lions being the opposite of what they seem and Golden Deer being quite analytic despite their outward portrayal (this is only based on the two students of each house obvi)). I just hope they subvert expectations with the characters (like let Rhea be the villain and let Jearlt not die) because I really dislike how reliant on tropes FE can be.

Very generic list, but if 3H has these, I'll be quite happy.

1 hour ago, ΔZZ said:

Decent story. As we all know Fates was shite story wise. FE has never prioritised story, but Fates was a new low and even then, most FE stories were decent and SoV imo was a step in the right direction (even if it did have a foundation to build off (and was a bit choppy at some points later down the road...)). I would love a more character oriented story, ala Blazing Sword, Path of Radiance and Shadow Dragon, but with the amount of mcs, I don't think that will happen.

I wouldn't exactly consider Shadow Dragon character oriented story wise - in general, most of the story stuff was all the same; Marth talking with Malledus and/or Nyna, which doesn't come off to me as character oriented. Also, I'd honestly say Fates' story managed to be better than Sacred Stones's - which says more about how much of a steaming pile of pig excrement Sacred Stones's "story" is than how good Fates's is.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 5/9/2019 at 10:26 PM, Thane said:

Something I would like to be avoided is all the lordlings having the same character arcs. I do expect at least one of them having to oppose their family at some point, and I want that to be handled seriously and with a lot of weight. I don't want, say, Dimitri to just hear that his father has invaded Leicester and getting upset about it, choosing to confront his father over the senseless killing and declaring that he'll stand with his nakama; I'd want to see Dimitri having had an inkling about this since early on, and Claude actually getting furious with him. Basically, I want the conflicts to have weight to them and pose serious challenges to the characters involved, and I want the victories to be hard-earned, which make them all the more satisfying. If the three lordlings immediately hit it off and all had to talk to their old folks who lost their ways because they don't have any friends, then it'll feel cheap and watered down. I hope the writers dare to have the characters disagree with and argue with each other.

I can see it now...
Edelgard: I see it clearly now. You decided to invade the rest of the continent because you don't have love in your hearts!
Parents: Actually, it's because the balance of power was shifting against us, threatening our way of life.
Edelgard: N-no, it's because you're old and mean! The true friends I made in volleyball club over this past year have given me clarity that you lack!
Parents: You're right. We ARE old and mean. You've opened our eyes and we're ready to repent.

Real talk though, I'd definitely hope there is a greater conflict of loyalty to their family and friends if it comes to that.

20 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I wouldn't exactly consider Shadow Dragon character oriented story wise - in general, most of the story stuff was all the same; Marth talking with Malledus and/or Nyna, which doesn't come off to me as character oriented. Also, I'd honestly say Fates' story managed to be better than Sacred Stones's - which says more about how much of a steaming pile of pig excrement Sacred Stones's "story" is than how good Fates's is.

I think that says more about your prejudice towards Sacred Stones, if you genuinely believe Fates is a better story.

Edited by NekoKnight

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

I can see it now...
Edelgard: I see it clearly now. You decided to invade the rest of the continent because you don't have love in your hearts!
Parents: Actually, it's because the balance of power was shifting against us, threatening our way of life.
Edelgard: N-no, it's because you're old and mean! The true friends I made in volleyball club over this past year have given me clarity that you lack!
Parents: You're right. We ARE old and mean. You've opened our eyes and we're ready to repent.

Unfortunately, I can see things going that way too.

I hope they actually try to make things interesting this time around. One of the MANY things that made me dislike Corrin is after learning that his loving family had been lying to him and keeping secrets from him for as long as he can remember, he doesn't seem to mention it at all unless it's buried in a support conversation somewhere. Could've led to some better characterization from his siblings other than their very archetypal portrayal before the big decision, could've been a source of character development for Corrin, could've made me actually feel a teensy bit interested. Never Happened.

Edited by TheDreamReturns
The first bit was unnecessary.

6 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I think that says more about your prejudice towards Sacred Stones, if you genuinely believe Fates is a better story.

I'm not a fan of Sacred Stones, I'll admit - I believe it does too much wrong, particularly in the story aspect. I'm not very inclined to take its plot seriously when it literally comes off as being the result of the more pivotal characters in Magvel *cough LYON hack* not having much in the way of brain cells...

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 hours ago, TheDreamReturns said:

I hope they actually try to make things interesting this time around. One of the MANY things that made me dislike Corrin is after learning that his loving family had been lying to him and keeping secrets from him for as long as he can remember, he doesn't seem to mention it at all unless it's buried in a support conversation somewhere. Could've led to some better characterization from his siblings other than their very archetypal portrayal before the big decision, could've been a source of character development for Corrin, could've made me actually feel a teensy bit interested. Never Happened.

Ain't that the truth. Even for Ryoma who outright lies to Corrin about being their real family in order to get them to switch teams, when he makes this Titanic announcement to Corrin, it's just an excuse for them to bang. One of the cool things about Radiant Dawn is that some characters could actually switch teams from one good guy faction to another because their convictions and loyalties we're more nuanced than just "I'm on team good" (like actual humans).

Doubtless, making friends at school and fighting alongside companions will start creating strong bonds (can I get a #relatable in the chat from all the Japanese high schoolers?) but if those bonds are way stronger than family or country, they'll have lost me.

I hope for new game plus. I am considering buying a Switch just for this game so I hope that the replay value is even better than Fates (I have 5 completed run in total, compared 4 in New Mystery). It doesn't have to add new stories, just let me retain some resources like weapons and money. 

I want to say I don't think about having LGBT character in FE or any Japanese games but then again having multiple gay pairings would be really neat.

Having other beast race. I like the whole secluded tribe/race thing in RD (wolf) and Fates.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, ravenl said:

costume: we can pick desired appearance even when changing class.

I want this as well. Even if it's just the three lords and the choice is between their base and their current class only.

All I want is to make an army of Flyers. You get a pegasus, you get a pegasus, everyone gets a pegasus! Maybe throw in some wyverns for good measure.

But really I’m not picky. My main criteria is just for the game to be fun and not lose too much momentum in the midgame since that’s when I’m most likely to put it down and not play it for months.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:55 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

All I really ask for is good gameplay. The rest would be bonuses that would be perhaps tragedy to do without, but I could bear them. 

Then you can play FE: Conquest!

All jokes aside, I think a good game is everything we ask for.

Personally, I think all FE fans are looking for the same thing. Doesn't matter what first playthrough is, anyone will appreciate every Fire Emblem title at the first playthrough. Even mediocre Gameplay in the worst FE games is masked and filled by plot. What really makes a Fire Emblem stand out - at least it works for me - and pass the test of time is gameplay. Gameplay is replay value of any game. You wanna play RD - for the third, fourth time - to try a run with that character with lower/higher availabilty than the Wyvern Gods. Then, you have a combo which can carry over the most difficult chapters. That is what makes some FE titles shine over the others. And that's how it should be.

Summarizing it all, great plot (doesn't matter if it's Genealogy or Birthright) and VALUE over time are the fundamentals to make a good Fire Emblem game, a worthy Fire Emblem game.

55 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Combine the great storytelling and mechanics of Echoes with the great map design of literally every game except Echoes.

Oh dear god no. Echoes does not have anything even remotely resembling good storytelling. I think Three houses should lean away from that trainwreck of a plot.

As for the topic at hand, I just want good characters to grow attached to and love

Edited by Ottservia

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Oh dear god no. Echoes does not have anything even remotely resembling good storytelling. I think Three houses should lean away from that trainwreck of a plot.

As for the topic at hand, I just want good characters to grow attached to and love

I don't think someone who has Awakening as their favorite game has any right to talk. Awakening's plot is a true trainwreck.

Echoes actually DOES have a pretty good story.

8 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Fine. The great storytelling and characters of Path of Radiance, the great mechanics of Echoes, and the great map design of most of the series.

18 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I don't think someone who has Awakening as their favorite game has any right to talk. Awakening's plot is a true trainwreck.

Echoes actually DOES have a pretty good story.

I wouldn’t call blatantly contradicting your own themes and messages good storytelling but hey that’s just me. Also awakening’s story is by far better than echoes’s in almost every conceivable way and I will stand by that opinion. If you wanna debate with me on that go ahead either here or via PM but I promise you I won’t budge. I mean if you truly believe that echoes has a good story then prove that to me.

Edited by Ottservia

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Fine. The great storytelling and characters of Path of Radiance, the great mechanics of Echoes, and the great map design of most of the series.

I wouldn't call SoV's mechanics "great", "different" is a better way to put it, I mean I won't complain about using them again, but I won't say that they couldn't use some ironing out, I would like summons to be rebalanced, mainly not giving the enemy an objectively better version of a spell would be better.

10 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I wouldn't call SoV's mechanics "great", "different" is a better way to put it, I mean I won't complain about using them again, but I won't say that they couldn't use some ironing out, I would like summons to be rebalanced, mainly not giving the enemy an objectively better version of a spell would be better.

I'm referring to weapon arts, mage mechanics, and the way they effectively gave archers a distinct purpose.

I did not like Echoes at all. Its crappy map design makes it my least favorite FE. But I found myself constantly wanting to use its weapon, archer, and magic mechanics in a GOOD FE game.