Final Fantasy VII: Remake-It Exists!

Dai

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, we are...where we were three and a half years ago. But I guess the visual effects and cutscenes are more polished. Have to wonder how much of this has been sat on for years before being given a fresh coat of paint as people got fired and hired. FF7 Remake is one of several Square Enix projects announced with a cutscene before any game development had started so a lot of it likely predates the development restart.

Good trailer though. The State of Play presentation actually opened on a suspicious sound effect of one of the menu sounds ripped straight from the original. It's also pretty crazy seeing Cloud perform cross slash or Barret performing Big Shot in gameplay. The menu shortcut looks very Kingdom Hearts inspired which is new compared to the old trailer's UI. I haven't gotten around to playing FF15 but this looks a lot like that action-oriented combat system. I'm also curious about that final shot in the trailer involving Sephiroth. It doesn't look immediately like any scene I remember from the original, so maybe there will be reworks to the story? That could be interesting.

This trailer also confirms Square Enix will announce more about the game at E3 and that's not too long of a wait. If I recall correctly, last year was their first year with their own conference in several years, and naturally they can't announce this game's stuff at Sony's conference since they've bowed out for 2019. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Yeah, the combat definitely looks very similar to FF15, though I do hope materia is used in a similar fashion as FFVII: Crisis Core.
Haha, I am still slightly torn on the change from turn-based to action, but... it does give me a reason to replay the original game even if the remake turns out to be really solid. 

56 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm one of the FF fans that never liked 7. Hopefully this reignites it for me.

One of us!  One of us!

I can understand why people would love this game, especially if they played it on release. I got to it well afterwards, and the graphics/translation didn't hold up very well.  Like you, I hope I can see why others loved 7.

It looks really good visually and it seems to be going the Kingdom Hearts route when it comes to it's combat UI. Interesting. That said, i'm not particularly hyped since i've never been a fan of Final Fantasy in the first place but i wouldn't be opposed to trying out the FF7 remake once it releases.

I mean, I just hope that they haven't messed with Cloud too much from the original (He's not half as cold/distant in general conversation as in the side stuff), as while some things in this trailer suggest maybe, it's very much not definite as he's not the focus. The combat could be a lot of fun though, usage of Limit Breaks might be handled differently too but couldn't see much of a hint of that.

I say this as someone who liked the original (though not finished and certainly didn't play it at the time): This does feel different, but that's not a bad thing. Guess we'll figure out how it's different when we know more.

I've recently just finished the Switch port of FF7, my first time playing it, and I loved it.

Hopefully by the time this releases, I'll have a PS4...

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It doesn't look immediately like any scene I remember from the original, so maybe there will be reworks to the story? That could be interesting.

Inb4 you can pick between Aerith or Tifa dying

the lip sync is amazing, in both languages: KH3 did it very well, so i expected nothing less

also i like cloud's new model much better than the old one

can't wait to know more at E3

Edited by Yexin

Not the biggest FFVII fan, IV was my first not FFTA, and VI also left more of a personal impact. 

Although VII isn't a bad game by any means, if hyped to high heavens due to its historical status as a breakout title for FF and the JRPG genre as a whole.

I'm not a fan of the Materia system, I prefer Jobs, but I do admit it is a progression of VI's Magicite. It's 3D graphics haven't aged well at all, and the translation is bad and the runs of a cat in non-English European languages from what I'm aware, but at least the pre-rendered backgrounds were good. Original VII Cloud isn't a bad character either, cooler than Fei with extant but less serious psychological issues and less specialness, just to make a comparison from what else Square was making in that era. Not to call the VII cast AMAZING!, but it works well enough barring like Yuffie and Vincent (who are after all completely optional).

I don't know why XV got that chibified Pocket Edition, but if they want to milk VII Remake for what its worth, I think doing a Pocket Edition that reverts to an improved version of the old turn-based ATB system of VII original would be a really good idea.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

So it's been confirmed that FF7R is still launching episodically. I don't know why Square insists on making remaking a full game by splitting it up in parts. Supposedly, the Episodes are as big as the FF13 games but i'm worried that they're just doing this to pad out the length of each Episode so that the (probable) full price would be justified.

The logical divides for FFVII narratively would be:

1. The beginning in Midgar, but that not being long enough for one game, I'd extend it and add the Nibelheim flashback, plus it allows for a battle with Sephiroth.
    • This would require fluff to extend into a full game, but it's the best they could do for a dramatic ending to Episode I without new story additions/changes. Midgar is already a centerpiece in VII, so adding more depth to the glorious and rotten city of human artifice would be good. The Last Story did try to make a game set almost entirely on a single island and its crowning city, FFVII could certainly do that and better.
    • With changes, I could possibly see them extending Episode I to the Jenova battle on the one ship.
  2. The long midsection ending with the meeting with Sephiroth north of the ruined capital.
  3. Everything from after that point onto the ending.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So it's been confirmed that FF7R is still launching episodically. I don't know why Square insists on making remaking a full game by splitting it up in parts. Supposedly, the Episodes are as big as the FF13 games but i'm worried that they're just doing this to pad out the length of each Episode so that the (probable) full price would be justified.

I just assumed they were making an episode for each disc of the original

4 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I just assumed they were making an episode for each disc of the original

That could be a reason. But the only reason the original was split up into discs was because of the PS1's limitations. There's no reason to split up the game now.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That could be a reason. But the only reason the original was split up into discs was because of the PS1's limitations. There's no reason to split up the game now.

Right, I was just trying to say if there was any logical way to split the game into episodes, that would be it.

Which almost certainly means we'll get Episodes I and II, but Episode III will be cancelled.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Trying to make to make the FF7 remake into episodes sounds like an odd idea. How long will it take for the entire game to be released. In the year 2035? The only other series that tried going to model for a game is Half Life 2, and that series got canned.

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Trying to make to make the FF7 remake into episodes sounds like an odd idea. How long will it take for the entire game to be released. In the year 2035? The only other series that tried going to model for a game is Half Life 2, and that series got canned.

Hence why I made the Half-Life joke.

Just now, Armagon said:

I may have been projecting logic where none existed at the time, but I want to say they made the game episodic so that the first episode came out quicker than the full game and the wait for release wouldn't have been as long and empty as something like Kingdom Hearts 3 or FF15. Of course here we are almost a full four years since the game's announcement, so it's hard to argue in retrospect that's why they're splitting it up now.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

IV was my first not FFTA, 

Mine too, the remake for the DS. That game kicked my rear but I loved it. 

You can put me in the camp of "I wasn't impressed by FF7" as well, though I didn't want to be a downer because this remake is going to be a big deal for a lot of people. And also my comments about Square Enix meet the max occupancy for toxicity. Here's another one: Square Enix can't wipe their own ass without Nomura directing.

4 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Trying to make to make the FF7 remake into episodes sounds like an odd idea. How long will it take for the entire game to be released. In the year 2035?

Not to mention Nomura might still insist on writing every single line of dialogue for any future KH games during this time. I believe there is going to be at least one additional title released before KH4 is developed, which shouldn't be so bad, but if VIIR doesn't finish before KH4, oh boy.

Hopefully having a game engine finished (assuming they're using a new one for this game) after Episode 1 will make subsequent episode production easier.

And speaking of length, wonder how new Supernova and Knights of the Round are going to look? Hopefully I won't be able to order a pizza in the time they take to finish now.

40 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I may have been projecting logic where none existed at the time, but I want to say they made the game episodic so that the first episode came out quicker than the full game and the wait for release wouldn't have been as long and empty as something like Kingdom Hearts 3 or FF15.

Well the thing with FF7R, KH3 and FF15 (well, mainly the former two, FF15 took too long for different reasons) was that they were announced too early. The wait wouldn't have been an issue if they announced them relatively closer to release.

40 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Of course here we are almost a full four years since the game's announcement, so it's hard to argue in retrospect that's why they're splitting it up now.

Honestly, i feel the reason they're splitting it up is because it's Final Fantasy 7. None of the previous Final Fantasy remakes got split up and i guarantee that if any of the other FF games that hadn't gotten a remake yet were to get one now, they wouldn't be split up. Because they aren't Final Fantasy 7. That's the only explanation i can offer besides saying Square Enix is getting greedy. Either way, the game shouldn't be split up.

Edited by Armagon

Well, here's hoping they dont butcher scenes like the cross-dressing one, etc. Or not include them at all, that would be really disappointing. Also, some of the neat mini games and such you play through the game.

59 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, here's hoping they dont butcher scenes like the cross-dressing one, etc. Or not include them at all, that would be really disappointing. Also, some of the neat mini games and such you play through the game.

I have a bad feeling they're going to omit a lot of the goofier scenes in the game. I really hope they don't, but it's Nomura, and his vision of FF7(Based on Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts) seems to be wildly different than the one everyone else experienced.

47 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I am worried about the gameplay.

Square does not understand action combat. FF15 combat was not good, and I hope they can turn it around for FF7 Remake.

I'd say the combat looks better than it did in that first gameplay mock-up. It looks like Crisis Core's interface, and I'd say Crisis Core was a fine gameplay experience, minus the heavy RNG elements that constantly broke up combat.

Also, not sure how true this is, but somebody in Maximilian Dood's stream mentioned that the people behind the combat of FF7R are the people who handled KH1, 2 and CC. While I'm not super hot on it, tons of people think KH2 is a good action game, so there's hope that somebody who knows what they're doing is working on FF7R's combat.