So I watched Detective Pikachu yesterday, My thoughts?(Spoilers)

Ottservia

So yeah yesterday a bunch of friends and I went to go see detective pikachu and I thoroughly enjoyed. It wasn't great movie(in fact the story itself was very cliche and mediocre) but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling almost the entire time I was watching this movie. They really did an amazing of bringing the pokemon world to life and the interactions between Pikachu and Tim were great. Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu was probably one of the best casting decisions he could've made. The CG work in this movie is phenomenal as well. All the pokemon look so natural and move in a way you'd expect a creature like that to move. You can tell a lot of passion went into this movie and it shows how much they really cared about the pokemon franchise as a whole. If you are pokemon fan on any level, I implore you to see this movie.  

Saw it just yesterday, and it was definitely worth it. I won't go into spoilers, but I thought that the ending of the movie was really neat, and it wasn't something that I would've expected. The music in the movie is actually really good, and the more 8-bit tunes in there were a treat. There were plenty of well-done jokes too, and Ryan Reynolds was phenomenal. I'll absolutely be buying this on DVD when it comes out, although the experience I had with my friends at the theater can't be replaced.

I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't able to get that promo pack of cards, but I wager that there will be a special edition of the DVD release that comes with them hopefully.

Wowowowowwow!

Spoiler

Very cool exploration of the world without focusing on the video game-y stuff like catching and battling. If this movie were a straight adaptation of the main series games it would have just felt like something that would work better in a show. Good callbacks to the show like Ditto's eyes, magikarp evolving when its kicked, etc. The credits look like they were drawn by Ken Sugimori, or at least an artist doing a convincing tribute to that classic style. Editing is too fast. Perfect speed for joke delivery, but the dramatic scenes seriously need room to breathe. The human actors honestly needed more direction in the first half of the movie because nobody is emoting. Ryan Reynolds twist is insane, though left me wondering how he didn't recognize his dad's voice the whole time.

What I want to talk about most is the Bulbasaur part. The "He doesn't understand you" "But he knows what I'm feeling"'. That blindsided me. That is...the coolest piece of storytelling anybody has ever done with the Pokemon property. Because pokemon games have these cheesy moments where other characters talk about your connection with your pokemon. These pokemon that sit in their poke balls waiting for their next battle, that you never hang out with. I never believed it, it was just this useless "power of friendship" message shoehorned at the end. As far as the games have shown, Pokemon are just your dog, but with superpowers. They obey you and answer to your training, but there's never any deep connection there. This scene sold me on that whole mysticism. This movie was made by people who care more about Pokemon than I ever have, and I've been there since the beginning.

8.4 out of 10.

Edited by Glennstavos

Just saw it today with my brother. The curse is finally lifted on video game movies!

Fantastic film. Good characters, good use of Pokémon, some good twists (massive spoilers below)

Spoiler

I saw the business dad being the true villain coming a mile away, but the hero's dad being inside the Pikachu really surprised me even though it was really well foreshadowed. 

This was a really good film. One thing I especially liked is that they kept it simple: they focused on telling a good, simple story and refining all the details, rather than trying to make some grandiose complex plot like some video game adaptations have tried.

A very solid film overall. 8.7/10. Not enough water. 

Edited by vanguard333

• 3 weeks later...

It was good and cute! Cliche story, but that's not a problem as others have said.

@Glennstavos I replied to you in the spoiler.

Spoiler

The dad was distant and not around much, so I'm not surprised Tim didn't recognize his voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it with my younger brother and it was very very average

And the third act was really wacko for a children's movie

But I enjoyed it overall

• 3 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 11:50 PM, Dragoncat said:

I replied to you in the spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

The dad was distant and not around much, so I'm not surprised Tim didn't recognize his voice.

This. 

Spoiler

This is made clear a number of times throughout the film; Tim hasn't even spoken with his father in years; not since he was a kid, and he was extremely distant with his dad even before then as the dad coped with his grief over the death of Tim's mom by pouring himself into his job. Both made bad decisions after her death that led to them growing part. It makes sense then that he wouldn't recognize his dad's voice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 2:29 PM, Glennstavos said:

Wowowowowwow!

Hide contents

Very cool exploration of the world without focusing on the video game-y stuff like catching and battling. ...[omitted]...

8.4 out of 10.

Yeah, the worldbuilding was well-done. I like how different Pokemon interact with society in different ways - especially in the various scenes across the big city.