What is your other favorite JRPG series with Fire Emblem?

Roland

the JRPG series i love the most is definitely the Trails Of series

i'm still sort of new to the series, since i only played CS1, 2 and i'm currentely playing Sky FC, but that's been more than enough for me to fall in love with the series, stealing even fire emblem's spot as "my favorite JRPG series"(honestly it hasn't been that hard tbh, considering its recent commercialization and relative quality downgrade (from my point of view))

i also LOVE nier automata, Inazuma Eleven and the Bravely series

Edited by Yexin

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Roland said:

I almost certain that a lot of us here love Fire Emblem in some way. But outside of it, what is another JRPG series you really enjoy in addition to it? Basically, what is your favorite JRPG series if you couldn't pick Fire Emblem?

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions.

or Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together.

12 hours ago, KevinskyHaaz said:

I absolutely adore Tales of Symphonia (Tales of Phantasia is great too). It has one of the longest single player campaigns I have ever played, but it is so worth the haul. One of the best stories ever that makes you care for the characters so much. Tales of Phantasia is pretty darn good as well, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as Symphonia.

Mate. Phantasia was awesome. I've only ever tried that and Abyss in the series, and the latter didn't really grab me. But if you liked Phantasia and would recommend Symphonia then I might have to check that out some time!

I really really love the Bravely series (that's ya boi Ringabel in my profile picture) and pray for its continuation, despite little to no interest in the main FF games (tactics was very good though).

I also used to be massively into Pokemon, but the last generation was godawful enough to mostly kill my interest in the series. If SWSH is actually good (and I mean REALLY good, not just passable) it could rekindle my interest, but I won't be holding my breath.

11 hours ago, whase said:

Megaman Battle Network, still hope it one day returns, in its original form not like that last atrocity.

Oh; I didn't realize Battle Network counted. I'd like to change my answer then. 

Battle Network was fantastic, and I agree that it should return. Quick question though: what "last atrocity"?

On 5/12/2019 at 3:42 PM, alatartheblue42 said:

Hmm, favorite series right now, at least, I'd probably have to say Super Robot Wars. The two games I've completed so far I really enjoyed every aspect of. The one I'm doing right now I'm a little less fond of for various reasons, but its still solid and fun.

Etrian Odyssey would probably be my runner up.

If they were actual series and not just one game, I'd have picked Radiant Historia and/or Stella Glow.

stealing the words out of my mouth is grounds for a ban! :P:

Well, maybe not in that order.  But I'm fond of everything you've listed!

15 hours ago, Yexin said:

the JRPG series i love the most is definitely the Trails Of series

i'm still sort of new to the series, since i only played CS1, 2 and i'm currentely playing Sky FC, but that's been more than enough for me to fall in love with the series, stealing even fire emblem's spot as "my favorite JRPG series"(honestly it hasn't been that hard tbh, considering its recent commercialization and relative quality downgrade (from my point of view))

Do you plan on getting CS3 when it comes out?  If so, chew through the entire Sky trilogy, because it'll be relevant.  I'm currently somewhere in the final game, though I'm stalling on a boss battle 'cause I'm lazy.

----

I like Trails.  I like Tales (even if Symphonia's near the bottom of the list for me).  And damn if I don't miss Dept. Heaven.

Oh, and certain Final Fantasy titles.  WotL isn't one of them.

Edited by eclipse

5 hours ago, eclipse said:

Do you plan on getting CS3 when it comes out?  If so, chew through the entire Sky trilogy, because it'll be relevant.  I'm currently somewhere in the final game, though I'm stalling on a boss battle 'cause I'm lazy.

sure, i can't wait for cs3 to come out

and yes, i already heard that the Sky trilogy, and the Crossbell arc as well, are very important for cs3 and 4

thanks for the advice nonetheless

Edited by Yexin

14 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh; I didn't realize Battle Network counted. I'd like to change my answer then. 

Battle Network was fantastic, and I agree that it should return. Quick question though: what "last atrocity"?

Hmm, weird, I can't seem to find it anymore. I might be mistaken on this. I recall playing a game on DS under the same name (not team Protoman/Colonel, that one was great). Something with the digital world being an overlay on the real world or something, not actually playing as Lan and Megaman either. Dunno stopped playing pretty fast.

17 minutes ago, whase said:

Hmm, weird, I can't seem to find it anymore. I might be mistaken on this. I recall playing a game on DS under the same name (not team Protoman/Colonel, that one was great). Something with the digital world being an overlay on the real world or something, not actually playing as Lan and Megaman either. Dunno stopped playing pretty fast.

Are you thinking of the Megaman Starforce games, by any chance?

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Are you thinking of the Megaman Starforce games, by any chance?

That could very well be, looks kind of the same. No wonder I hated it thinking this was battle network. Good to know it's just a whole different game, I can finally stop hating it now =P

If we're speaking franchises and not single games there's only one franchise I'd say qualifies for me and that's the Ar Tonelico/Ar Nosurge games.

They have fantastic world building, a good story, fantastic OST and some great characters. It's a damn shame I never knew of these games when I was younger because I would have loved to own the PS2 games. 

I'm not going to say people should feel bad for liking JRPGs that are all about "defeating evil with the power of friendship", but... I am sick to death of this trope. I want games with messages that challenge me. I want works of art that give me new perspective.

That's why Shin Megami Tensei knocks it out of the park for me. It asks players what is the value of free will, and is it worth the amount of sacrifices necessary? And it's compounded even more by that no matter which path you choose, there is no "soft free will" or "soft lawful control"; otherwise all the players would go for those options, which would undermine the point. It also challenges the idea of the Semitic God by showing God from a non-Eurocentrist perspective, casting the idea of an all-powerful, omniscient and omnipotent being as a loathsome, genocidal maniac that doesn't hesitate to kill billions. Edgy? Maybe, to someone brought up on Christianity, but it made me consider how the religion I was brought up to believe (and then discard) would be seen by outsiders. Considering how fearsome and terrifying a religion based on accepting salvation through death is only something Breath of Fire 2 has done, and Final Fantasy/Tales has NEVER made me question my ideology.

6 hours ago, Kysafen said:

I'm not going to say people should feel bad for liking JRPGs that are all about "defeating evil with the power of friendship", but... I am sick to death of this trope. I want games with messages that challenge me. I want works of art that give me new perspective.

That's why Shin Megami Tensei knocks it out of the park for me. It asks players what is the value of free will, and is it worth the amount of sacrifices necessary? And it's compounded even more by that no matter which path you choose, there is no "soft free will" or "soft lawful control"; otherwise all the players would go for those options, which would undermine the point. It also challenges the idea of the Semitic God by showing God from a non-Eurocentrist perspective, casting the idea of an all-powerful, omniscient and omnipotent being as a loathsome, genocidal maniac that doesn't hesitate to kill billions. Edgy? Maybe, to someone brought up on Christianity, but it made me consider how the religion I was brought up to believe (and then discard) would be seen by outsiders. Considering how fearsome and terrifying a religion based on accepting salvation through death is only something Breath of Fire 2 has done, and Final Fantasy/Tales has NEVER made me question my ideology.

On the other hand my problem with SMT series is how infuriating most of the cast are, and the complete lack of variable tones. The later could have been the point, but when replaying strange journey its really frustating, to the point that the Lab duo is far and away my favorite simply because they add the enthusiasm the game sorely lacks

I grew up with Kingdom Hearts as my first JRPG series, and as such, questionable plot elements it may have, I've a special place reserved for it that won't be going away.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:30 PM, Kysafen said:

I won't disrespect your right to this opinion, but if I'm to be honest, there are other mediums out there if you're looking for something that'll change your life or any of that sort. Not saying that it's mutually exclusive or that they shouldn't exist (as I greatly appreciate them too when they come along, if the game itself interests me), but to have such grandiose and ambitious undertakings as a standard is only preparing for disappointment with the occasional diamond in the rough imo. This doesn't only pertain to gaming either

On 5/14/2019 at 10:30 AM, Kysafen said:

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.  Otherwise known as "this is very open to interpretation".

On 5/13/2019 at 10:34 PM, eclipse said:

And damn if I don't miss Dept. Heaven.

Somebody else has heard of this?

All I ever played was the first title- Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA version), b/c it was on this new Nintendo releases advertising DVD I got once (which also introduced me to Castlevania via Dawn of Sorrow). Though I've read about the rest of the loosely connected (and never finished) series Department Heaven was supposed to be.

Riviera wasn't a bad game (and for better or worse, it introduced me to fanservice), certainly a bit restricting and the QTEs I can see as objectionable for some, but I think it's a novel taste that could be loved. It wouldn't surprise me if you in particular enjoyed having limited points to spend on examining things, opening chests with randomized weapons that you can't control the targets they're used against, and you then deciding whether its worth keeping in one of your precious few inventory slots. Variability in a playthrough I hazard is something you enjoy?

Knights in the Nightmare's shump aspect was a bit worrisome so I never got it, but I have something of a lingering interest in Yggdra Union.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:00 PM, MagicCanonBalls said:

Luminous Arc were ok-ish for me, but then 3rd has an actual gay ending, so feels kinda positive about it.

Huh? *looks up game's endings*

Spoiler

Image result for luminous arc 3 ending

Progressive and awww...

Just hope the context isn't yaoi-riffic, that'd ruin things.

Imageepoch did sorta slightly allow for gay dating in 7th Dragon III: Code VFD (not sure of 2020 yet, I'm in Chapter 7 and haven't been able to fully upgrade the Skylounge yet, despite getting several characters' emails).

LA left a similar impression on me, the games were slow and cliche, and it seems that while the games got better, culminating in Stella Glow, the total improvement weren't ever sufficient. But for a time I did enjoy LA1 and 2, I was younger then. Looks like LA3 never got a fan translation, so there goes my chance of giving it a try.

Shame Imageepoch never did rise from mediocrity though, I'm liking 7th Dragon 2020 plenty, but I see the same problem as with LA/SG, the sequels got better but not enough fast enough. Oddly, Etrian Odyssey has survived, despite also being gradualist in improvement.

Also, Arc Rise Fantasia was a good knockoff Tales narratively speaking, gameplay-wise it was turn-based fun with a few kinks, but overall I appreciated it. Probably their best title produced.

21 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

On the other hand my problem with SMT series is how infuriating most of the cast are

And how dry they've tended to be. I can understand SMTI being minimalistic due to the era, but Nocturne and the Raidou duo (having only played the first) definitely could have done better. IV tried to add life to its cast, it did for Tayama, but not quite so the supporting heroes; and then Apo flanderized things with ill-fitting and poorly done anime cliches.

I think DDS had a good (if not complex) crew, hindered only by the games' lack of free time in the narrative to chill and flesh out the characters as they relax. Midori might have had an (appropriate) annoying voice, but overall I think the game achieved a balance of allowing "lighter anime" tones to make the characters more than alignment expies whilst not sacrificing/conflicting with the bleak spirit of SMT.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, whase said:

That could very well be, looks kind of the same. No wonder I hated it thinking this was battle network. Good to know it's just a whole different game, I can finally stop hating it now =P

It's the same world, just some generations into the future. I think you can find a trashed PET laying around in one of the game, a relic of the less advanced past.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:02 PM, Armagon said:

If Monolith Soft wants to try doing the six-part sci-fi epic again, they totally can without worrying that they'll be fucked over.

I hope Takahashi doesn't try that. Six parts might work for books, but video games? I'm reminded of Star Wars, George Lucas did start with Episode 4 and work forward to 6 before going back. Maybe Takahashi was actively emulating Lucas. But if he did, he forgot something- Lucas made only three timeless movies, the prequels so I hear aren't of the same quality. Trilogies sound much, much more feasible to me in any non-book medium.

-Although you're a Trails player, and I'm not, so maybe I'm unaware of how that franchise has proven some possibility of making more than just a trilogy work.

49 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Although you're a Trails player, and I'm not, so maybe I'm unaware of how that franchise has proven some possibility of making more than just a trilogy work.

What Trails does is that it splits a number of games into arcs and the arcs could be comparable to that of JoJo Parts. So for example, the Liberl Arc (Trails in the Sky trilogy) would be Part 1, the Crossbell Arc (Zero/Azure duology) would be Part 2, the Erebonia Arc (Trails of Cold Steel quadrology) would be........Part 2 and Part 3 at the same time because of how some of it takes place at the same time as the Crossbell Arc. The beginnings of each arc also tends to kinda be self-contained, so that helps too.

In a way, the original plans of Xenogears were in a similar boat. The difference i see in the original plans of Xenogears and Xenosaga is that the Xenogears Episodes are centuries to millennia apart. Xenogears Episode I takes place 10,000 years before Episode V (which is the actual game). So each Episode of Xenogears could also be split into arcs (Episode III would be the Zeboim Arc, for example). Xenosaga Episodes, on the other hand, were much closer together (Episode II takes place immediately after Episode I there was only a one year timeskip between Episodes II and III). Hard to say how it would've turned out if the full six did happen but at least in Xenogears, the games can be split into arcs like Trails but because of how far apart they are, they can also be played in any order, much like how you can view the Star Wars trilogies out of order. 

Both Falcom and Tetsuya Takahashi knew what they had to do for their multi-part games: plan it out. It's why Trails manages to work. It's why Xenogears and Xenosaga managed to work, despite the original plans for six games not panning out. If you make multi-part games without planning it out, then because a huge mess, and there's already an example of that with Kingdom Hearts.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And how dry they've tended to be. I can understand SMTI being minimalistic due to the era, but Nocturne and the Raidou duo (having only played the first) definitely could have done better. IV tried to add life to its cast, it did for Tayama, but not quite so the supporting heroes; and then Apo flanderized things with ill-fitting and poorly done anime cliches.

This is just my opinion, but I think it isn't "minimalism" as much as it is "subtlety". Yeah, in JRPGs everybody tends to put their heart out on a string, but life doesn't work like that. In life, not every time is appropriate to blurt out everything you say or feel.

Thing about Walter and Jonathan was that, throughout the course of the game, they revealed what they truly thought about Mikado and their place in the world even before they became Samuai. Walter always wanted a chance to strike back against the Luxurors, saw Tayama as the Luxurors' ideology taken to the extreme, and personally believed that he was good enough to be one to the point where he thought teaming up with Yuriko was a good idea. Chaos Hero in SMT1 was an underdog that was pushed around, and let his newfound power get to his head. Walter profoundly similar to that regard.

Same rule applies to Jonathan; he always felt Mikado's duology of Luxurors and Casualries was the right way for things to be, raised to believe that Mikado's was the way God intended for humanity to live. Unlike Navarre, however, he didn't let it get to his head and actually respected Casualries, thinking their working for the Luxurors was the highest form of dignity they could hope to have in a world fundamentally unjust and, as such, respected that dignity. But, when confronted with the idea that the status quo could change, he made the foregone conclusion that the incivility would lead to a societal breakdown (which in the Chaos Ending, kind of does).

Both characters' storytelling is done through the establishment of the game's setting which infers the ideologies each character has. The first 20 minutes of the game you can infer:
-The Casualries are basically complacent and have not much of an opinion of their lot in life
-The Luxurors are usually pompous assholes that demean you
-Walter, upon gaining status as a samurai, actually gains the courage to express just how bullshit Mikado's Caste system is, and finds the Luxurors mostly incompetent and undeserving of their status, eventually to the point where he decides that even a total lapse of societal civility is a cost worth paying for a system where the strong lead.
-Jonathan is a respectful kind of guy, but only as a result of his upbringing as a Luxuror, raised his whole life to believe that all is good and well and right with the world as thanks to god. Seeing the four archangels descend upon Mikado only cements this view of his; it was a feeling he believed in deep down, otherwise he wouldn't have chosen to side with the Angels. He never questioned whether or not his belief in god was as a result of his upbringing, instead opting for faith. Faith is the center of Jonathan's character, and faith is his ultimate undoing.

SMT IV, hell, SMT in GENERAL doesn't spoonfeed you the story. When you enter a new town, instead of some cutscene playing where all the anime cliche characters go on for minutes talking about how they feel, the game lets the players themselves come to their own conclusions about where they are. Instead of entering a town and getting the town's introduction, you instead actually HAVE to talk to NPCs to even get a rudimentary understanding of your surroundings, who's who, where things are, hints as to where to go, etc. You get a sense of isolation, in that the way you progress in the game hinges not on an NPC nor a party member telling you what to do at all times, but instead you have to gain an appreciation of navigation skills and information gathering, usually on your own, in order to even so much as progress.

The reason I like SMT is that it's a game about ideology. It gives you a setting, characters, a status quo, and then tells you "okay.... so what do YOU think? And do you REALLY believe it that much?" It's a game series that provides not answers, but questions. Yeah, the NPCs articulate what they feel, but your own ideology, YOUR own choices, is what defines the ending.

Might also be the reason why SMT: Apocalypse's story grates hardcore fans, as it spoonfeeds a lot more story to you. Everybody has an opinion, but nothing to say.

17 hours ago, Motendra said:

I won't disrespect your right to this opinion, but if I'm to be honest, there are other mediums out there if you're looking for something that'll change your life or any of that sort. Not saying that it's mutually exclusive or that they shouldn't exist (as I greatly appreciate them too when they come along, if the game itself interests me), but to have such grandiose and ambitious undertakings as a standard is only preparing for disappointment with the occasional diamond in the rough imo. This doesn't only pertain to gaming either

lol

Edited by Kysafen

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Somebody else has heard of this?

All I ever played was the first title- Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA version), b/c it was on this new Nintendo releases advertising DVD I got once (which also introduced me to Castlevania via Dawn of Sorrow). Though I've read about the rest of the loosely connected (and never finished) series Department Heaven was supposed to be.

Riviera wasn't a bad game (and for better or worse, it introduced me to fanservice), certainly a bit restricting and the QTEs I can see as objectionable for some, but I think it's a novel taste that could be loved. It wouldn't surprise me if you in particular enjoyed having limited points to spend on examining things, opening chests with randomized weapons that you can't control the targets they're used against, and you then deciding whether its worth keeping in one of your precious few inventory slots. Variability in a playthrough I hazard is something you enjoy?

Knights in the Nightmare's shump aspect was a bit worrisome so I never got it, but I have something of a lingering interest in Yggdra Union.

The level-up system in Riviera was obnoxious, and that was the worst of it.

Yggdra Union is my favorite of the series by far, but I'd go with the PSP version.  The balance is a lot better, and there's a couple more playable characters.

Knights in the Nightmare had a lot of background, and absolutely no reason to seek out said background (in the form of an art book).

Gungnir suffered from way too many status effects, making certain things stupidly conditional.  With a bit of paring down and polish, it would've rivaled Yggdra Union.

Each had their own quirks, but I'm not sure what types of games you like.

17 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I just finished CT, why is it's sequel not worth playing? Just curious. 

Narrative without going into spoilers, CC is a sequel to CT, but not a direct sequel in that none of the old characters are playable nor are the old locations visitable. You'll find plenty of references though. And narratively, I'd want to call it "Chrono Trigger Gaiden", but that might underplay their connectedness and imply undue inferiority in being "only a side-story". "Chrono Cross: Echoes Across Time" would be maybe a good name for it.

For criticisms, no spoilers, I'm just putting it in spoilers if you don't want to see them, they're a little detailed if not naming specifics.

Spoiler

As for changes, they expanded the character roster from 7 to 45 (some very hard to find). You're still restricted to three per battle (one of which must be Serge) and the sheer size leaves the character quality poor.

Those of importance is far smaller than 45 obviously, but the handful who do play a role might not be very appealing even so. Serge is as silent as Crono, but the plot is built around Serge much more than it was Crono.

The ideas of CC's plot might not be bad, but how they're unevenly spread out over the course of the story with some silly words made to sound mystical means that the weak characterization is accompanied by a lacking overall story.

The world is nice with beautiful pre-rendered graphics, but that is about as much as most would say. Soundtrack is typically praised as well.

ATB combat is replaced by you attacking with your characters, until you accrue enough invisible "ticks" to make the enemies do their own attacks. You've three levels of physical attack, the higher ones less accurate but stronger than the lower ones, and all costing a character's Stamina in proportion to their potency. Attacking accrues the levels needed to cast Elements- magic.

Elements are divided into six Colors weak to their opposite: Green & Yellow, Red & Blue, White & Black, and each character has a Color which they're stronger with, making them weaker with the opposite. Most Elements cannot be permanently consumed, but can only be cast once per battle. Elements are placed into an Element Grid- which is tedious- because every time you swap one character for another, you have to reload their Element Grid. 

Techs from CT do return as three exclusive Elements per character, and some needing to be unlocked. Double and Triple Techs return, but are very limited in this game however, which could have otherwise been a way to fix the bloated cast's lack of cohesion.

Leveling has been eradicated, killing bosses increases your entire roster's Star Level, which gives semi-random stat gains to everyone you've recruited. After each Star Level you gain, fighting a few times will provide more but smaller stat boosts (if you want to get all of these, you'll have to continually swap through everyone after every Star gain), but after say six battles, you'll just be getting just +1 HP or other tiny gains. This makes fighting worthless beyond money, trapping (stealing) Elements from enemies, and enemy drops to forge higher quality weapons. Fortunately running away is like 100% successful in most fights.

-So TL;DR this isn't CT's gameplay if you liked that, it's an experimental system with possibly some good ideas, but if you ask a certain Harry Potter ghost, execution matters. And that wasn't quite so successful many would say.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I just finished CT, why is it's sequel not worth playing? Just curious. 

Garbage story and dull characters that does a horrible disservice to CT and makes me just not want to even consider it even exists.

5 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Garbage story and dull characters that does a horrible disservice to CT and makes me just not want to even consider it even exists.

The fact that

they don't explicitly say that Magus is Guile is just a slap in the face to fans, and yeah, I'm not counting the Dream Devourer ending.

Xenoblade Chronicles, hands down. I love everything about it. It's so enjoyable to me that none of those JRPG cliches bother me in the least. Music, voice acting, story, characters, gameplay, length, environments, etc. You name it, I love it!

Can't wait to play Chronicles 2, I've had the special edition since it came out, but still no Switch lol (though now I've saved up some money and taxes are no longer threatening me).

I also liked X (special editioned that one too!), but felt it was very inconsistent and everything was somewhat inferior to Chronicles. I would have loved it had the story been more prevalent. That being said, premise, introduction and the twists during the ending were very enjoyable. I have hope for a sequel.

I would say that Etrian Odyssey is my second favorite JRPG series, somehow, despite the stories (which is usually the most important thing to me) being rather shallow. 4 is my favorite, with Nexus in second place (finally cleared the final labyrinth, on to the post-game content!).

Despite Nexus being one of the better games, I really do not recommend it to newcomers. Due to the amount of content, fatigue can set in even for all but the most die hard of fans. Start with 4 and/or the Untold games. 5 will also give you an idea of what the series is like, but it's been distilled to a pure Etrian Odyssey experience, good and bad. If you really like the series after playing any of those games, you are ready for Nexus.

Following that, I would say Rune Factory 4. Lucky I got it to be honest. I started the Harvest Moon series with A New Beginning, and was left severely underwhelmed. And yet for some reason, despite hearing how similar Rune Factory was to Harvest Moon, I bought Rune Factory 4 against my better judgement. It completely blew my expectations! The most fun I've ever had with what I would call a time-sink game. There is just so much to do in this game, and it's all fun. Looking forward to the next entry.

There are a lot of other Japanese games that would actually top this list, but I wouldn't consider them full-blown JRPGs. So I will, unhappily, keep them to myself :cry: