E3 2019 - Hopes/Expectations

Anacybele

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Winning an E3 is pretty subjective. To me, Nintendo DID win E3 last year. Whereas Bethesda, who other people said won last year, really just revealed a terrible mobile game, a terrible online survival game, and two title teasers with no gameplay footage. Their only real highlight being Doom, which, yes, could be great. But it also didn't have real footage.

I fished out my rankings from objective ranks from 2018 and:

Microsoft > Ubisoft >> Sony > Nintendo > Square Enix > Bethesda = EA

I would not believe anybody who said Bethesda was the best show. It was the longest of all the conferences of that year and very dull, self-congratulatory industry speak. The Rage band was uncomfortable and I'm still not sure if that was the intent. Elder Scrolls 6 was just a title card and it still is as we speak. As for Fallout 76, we didn't know back then how bad the game could be, but the hints were there in how they were talking about it. It seriously took months before people stopped expecting a traditional Fallout game because Bethesda gave frustratingly dodgy answers.

Edited by Glennstavos

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I fished out my rankings from 2018 and:

Microsoft > Ubisoft >> Sony > Nintendo > Square Enix > Bethesda = EA

I would not believe anybody who said Bethesda was the best show. It was the longest of all the conferences of that year and very dull, self-congratulatory industry speak. The Rage band was uncomfortable and I'm still not sure if that was the intent. Elder Scrolls 6 was just a title card and it still is as we speak. As for Fallout 76, we didn't know back then how bad the game could be, but the hints were there in how they were talking about it. It seriously took months before people stopped expecting a traditional Fallout game because Bethesda gave frustratingly dodgy answers.

For me, it was Nintendo (3 Houses, Smash Ultimate) > Microsoft (but that didn't translate to quality exclusives for themselves) > Ubisoft (improving their image by leaps and bounds these past couple years) > Sony (why didn't they have anything new to show) > Bethesda (why do people love them) > Square Enix (why were they even there) > EA (why do they even exist).

Edited by Etheus

22 hours ago, Anacybele said:

- FE Tellius HD remake (probably wishful thinking here, we'd likely just get a straight port instead if this happens)

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking. It would be nice if they were remade, though, I agree. (I'm glad I have my two copies of both PoR and RD in great condition and mint for the latter) Anyway, for the topic, I would like more Link's Awakening info as well, I am a pretty big Zelda fan, so that's my number one, here.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking. It would be nice if they were remade, though, I agree. (I'm glad I have my two copies of both PoR and RD in great condition and mint for the latter) Anyway, for the topic, I would like more Link's Awakening info as well, I am a pretty big Zelda fan, so that's my number one, here.

I still have working copies too, but I haven't touched them in a long time because it wouldn't be easy to replace them right now if I had to.

Even though I'm a huge Zelda fan, I don't care much for this LA remake because I think the toy-like art style looks awful.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Well, Mario Maker 2 is not going to be in E3. Because of this.

Surprising, honestly. I don't remember them ever doing a Direct for anything this close to E3.

Right before E3 2017 there was a Pokemon Direct so it's not like this is unprecedented.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I still have working copies too, but I haven't touched them in a long time because it wouldn't be easy to replace them right now if I had to.

Even though I'm a huge Zelda fan, I don't care much for this LA remake because I think the toy-like art style looks awful.

They're getting out of hand cost wise, I mean. I paid 65.00 for a mint RD, which wasn't bad. That's a good reason to remake them I suppose. And I loved the original Link's Awakening so it's more like I have to give this one a shot. I would prefer Oracle of Seasons or Ages, but that won't happen. 

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Right before E3 2017 there was a Pokemon Direct so it's not like this is unprecedented.

I still don't remember that. Are you sure? And anyway, the point is still that Mario Maker 2 won't show up because there's no reason for it to when it's getting this Direct.

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

They're getting out of hand cost wise, I mean. I paid 65.00 for a mint RD, which wasn't bad. That's a good reason to remake them I suppose. And I loved the original Link's Awakening so it's more like I have to give this one a shot. I would prefer Oracle of Seasons or Ages, but that won't happen. 

Yeah, very good reason to remake them imo. I liked LA myself, but I just can't take this remake's art style seriously at all.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't think Super Mario Maker 2 will be absent from E3, it just won't have a proper trailer in the Direct itself. It still is a very demo-able game, and Treehouse probably will stream their own creations. Last year they gave us like twenty cumulative hours of streaming content. And while a lot of it was Smash Bros, that was still a lot of games that got some screen time. If anything the filler game of choice might be Mario Maker 2. 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, very good reason to remake them imo. I liked LA myself, but I just can't take this remake's art style seriously at all.

Well if people want to enjoy the Tellius series, it's kinda hard nowadays. How much of a remake is it? Like pretty much a port with updated graphics, or are they modifying some things because of engine updates? I for one, liked the pictures you got unlocked with Marin, they were cute! Well, some of them anyway. I don't really watch videos so I don't know much right now.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Well if people want to enjoy the Tellius series, it's kinda hard nowadays. How much of a remake is it? Like pretty much a port with updated graphics, or are they modifying some things because of engine updates? I for one, liked the pictures you got unlocked with Marin, they were cute! Well, some of them anyway. I don't really watch videos so I don't know much right now.

Don't really know, we don't have much info on it yet. But yeah, it does seem like it's really just a port with updated graphics at this point.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I still don't remember that. Are you sure?

Yep

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't care much for this LA remake because I think the toy-like art style looks awful.

Personally, i think the toy-like art style is great. I think it's fitting for what kind of game Link's Awakening is.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yep

Personally, i think the toy-like art style is great. I think it's fitting for what kind of game Link's Awakening is.

Oh, I guess you're right.

I disagree. I think it should have just used a style closer to what ALBW got. A baby-looking toy style doesn't fit a Zelda game at all to me. I'd feel like I'm playing a dumb baby/toddler game.

Edited by Anacybele

i'd like to see some more FFVII Remake, mostly Tifa, hoping that they didn't reduce her breasts: since Aerith is absolutely gorgeous, though, i'm 100% sure Tifa'll look amazing too anyway

also, i'd love to see a Switch port for NieR Automata, this could make me buy that game a second time (2B IN SMASH PLEASE)

from Nintendo, there's nothing particular i want

yeah, they can show Astral Chain, FE TH, Link's Awakening, Pokemon (doubt it, since Pokemon is like a spoiled child who wants his own directs) and more, but i just want Nintendo's direct to be good and surprising

Edited by Yexin

My predictions(mostly from Nintendo)

• Luigi's Mansion 3 news.
  • New Donkey Kong Country game.
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield teases.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses stuff.
  • Proper Animal Crossing reveal.
  • New game from Monolithsoft.
  • New Bayonetta 3 teaser.
  • Persona ports.
  • New look at Astral Chain.
  • Link's Awakening trailer.
  • Brand new third party exclusive.
  • Every new indie game under the sun.

These are just my safe bets, not really any hopes or dream games.

Why am I the only person even mentioning Paper Mario?! I'm just really surprised because we haven't seen a new Paper Mario since Color Splash on the Wii U and that was well before the Switch released. It's really time to announce a new Paper Mario!

Sure, Sticker Star was garbage (at least according to just about everyone I know that's played it, I never played it), but Color Splash was great. I want to see a new game on the Switch that's as good as if not better than Color Splash, though I'd like a story more like Super Paper Mario if Miyamoto would just get off his damn high horse about this.

The story telling was part of what made Paper Mario great. Mario never needed a story to succeed, but it sure as hell never hurt it! Come on man.

Edited by Anacybele

Another thing I'm looking forward to: Cyberpunk 2077. I wasn't aware of this title until recently, but after seeing some gameplay footage, I'm hooked. I'm a sucker for futuristic cyberpunk type of works, and this looks really interesting.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:41 PM, Anacybele said:

Oh, I guess you're right.

I disagree. I think it should have just used a style closer to what ALBW got. A baby-looking toy style doesn't fit a Zelda game at all to me. I'd feel like I'm playing a dumb baby/toddler game.

People said similar stuff when Wind Waker was announced. :P

Also, this is the same game that has Goombas, Chain Chomps and Kirby among goofy pictures of chibi Link. This wasn't exactly a game with a traditional Zelda style, and that was before WW was a thing.

31 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

People said similar stuff when Wind Waker was announced. :P

Also, this is the same game that has Goombas, Chain Chomps and Kirby among goofy pictures of chibi Link. This wasn't exactly a game with a traditional Zelda style, and that was before WW was a thing.

I wasn't one of those people though. I actually liked TWW's style from the beginning. Never once disliked it. And just to point out, I was around 13 or 14 the first time I ever saw TWW.

Yet imo, even Mario doesn't look this kiddy and babyish.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

I wasn't one of those people though. I actually liked TWW's style from the beginning. Never once disliked it.

Just saying that things can grow on people, and Wind Waker's artstyle wasn't "fitting" to what people then knew as traditional Zelda at the time.

But you do you.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:36 PM, lightcosmo said:

liked the pictures you got unlocked with Marin, they were cute!

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

among goofy pictures of chibi Link.

...LADX The Travels of Link Photo 5.pngHeads Up

I'd hope something like the Photo Shop returns, even though we already have screenshots with the Switch. Something has to fill in that otherwise empty space, and I expect something new will, but what I do not know.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:26 PM, lightcosmo said:

I would prefer Oracle of Seasons or Ages, but that won't happen. 

They should eventually. I'd rather they used ALBW's aesthetics, but I'd take any form of OoX remakes. Ideally they could give us a brand new Oracle of Courage to boot.

Zelda isn't all about the big titles- the OoTs, WWs, TPs, SS, and BotWs. The petite Zeldas might not get the same resources, but they've still got love in them. Nintendo can certainly crank out one or two of these miniblins to every hulking hinox. And I want a very modern Adventure of Link sequel.

I have no real expectations, only light hopes at most.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Just saying that things can grow on people, and Wind Waker's artstyle wasn't "fitting" to what people then knew as traditional Zelda at the time.

But you do you.

Well yeah, things can definitely grow on people. But right now, this LA remake's style is not doing so for me.

*Wind Waker get announced in 2004 for the Gamecube.*

Zelda fans: "This artstyle sucks! It's too cartoonish and nothing like Zelda! This game is the biggest disappointment of all time!"

*Link's Awakening Remake get announced for the Switch in 2019*

Zelda fans: "This artstyle sucks! It's too toylike and childish and absolutely nothing like Zelda! This is the biggest letdown of the year!"

Ah, people. Some things never change about them.

33 minutes ago, Roland said:

*Wind Waker get announced in 2004 for the Gamecube.*

Zelda fans: "This artstyle sucks! It's too cartoonish and nothing like Zelda! This game is the biggest disappointment of all time!"

*Link's Awakening Remake get announced for the Switch in 2019*

Zelda fans: "This artstyle sucks! It's too toylike and childish and absolutely nothing like Zelda! This is the biggest letdown of the year!"

Ah, people. Some things never change about them.

Did you read anything I said? I was never one of the TWW art style haters. You do not speak for me here.

Edited by Anacybele