Thoughts on the idea of a "Fire Emblem Maker"?

Roland

So, what does everyone think about the idea of a "Fire Emblem Maker" similar to the Mario Maker titles? I'd be all for an FE game where you can create your own maps with the characters of  the previous Fire Emblem titles. I doubt it would happen because of how much effort it'd take, but IIRC Advance Wars had a similar feature in one of their games. 

What about you all? Would you be cool with an FE Maker? Do you think it's possible?

The appeal of Super Mario Maker is that it's really easy to build a stage. A Fire Emblem Maker would be a lot more difficult, because not only would you have to make the map, you'd have to find a balance between the player units stats/growths and the stats of the enemy units, which would be a huge turn-off for the majority of people. There's a reason why fan hacks take months, even years to release. So I'd pass on this.

I would greatly enjoy it, but it definitely wouldn't be for everyone. I've wanted to make an FE game for quite a while, but I'm never quite motivated enough to go out and learn how to romhack or to go out and get the various SRPG Studio engines. An official FE Maker would probably make me a lot more motivated.

Though of course, like with any Game Maker product, there'd be a massive spike in the production of mediocre/bad fanworks being produced. Currently, though we still get some, the barriers of romhacking being time consuming/difficult and less widely known are deterrents to a flood of low-end work being released. Even if the ratio of good/bad work doesn't change, it'd still result in much higher numbers of both.

I would love this! Imagine if you could make a Fire Emblem game using either sprites or the 3d models like they used in Fates! (Sorry Awakening, you were kinda clunky and had no feet!)

At first, I liked the idea. But, now that I think about it, there would be some issues. 

Making a map would be one thing. That part would be fairly straightforward: a choice of layouts (castle interior, castle exterior, grass, desert, etc.), a choice of different tiles, etc.

But then you have enemies. That would be the difficult part. In something like Super Mario Maker, it's fairly straightforward: you pick an enemy, and you place it. With a Fire Emblem Maker, you would have to fine-tune each enemy based on stats and the weapon you want them to use. While certainly not ludicrous, it does present a whole new set of challenges. 

it would be like a dream for me, since i made projects for a FE hack something like 3/4 years ago, but i left them since my programming skills are less than zero

i highly doubt it's ever going to be a thing though

Am I the only one thinking the map making might be more difficult than the enemies you put on the map? Stats should simply be assigned to class and level as an average, add a certain amount of upgrade points to a limited amount of enemies for having a few stronger ones and a few with special weapons, one enemy can be given the boss icon for even higher stats and weapon rank. Drag and dropping these bonuses onto the enemies, but not to nearby enemies for balance. Haven't played Mario Maker, maybe FE Maker would be tougher and get less fans, but it sounds awesome and definitely possible.

Bonus points if they implement an AI to play through your map, as if you're the evil mastermind trying to take down a pesky prince that tries to get his kingdom back from you.

I could see it working as more of a "one time scenario" maker than a "make a full Fire Emblem game" deal. Designing maps would definitely be the biggest draw, but considering that Fire Emblem games are built with growth rates in mind, and the enemy gets stronger as the player does, it would be a lot more complicated than Mario Maker, where the enemies follow a consistent pattern, and might overwhelm even veteran players. It could definitely work if the characters, playable or otherwise, only participated in the level itself and had static stats, but that might loose a part of the draw that the game would have. And this isn't even getting into how each game in the series has its own unique mechanics, that helps differentiate itself from each other.

In short, it's a cool idea, but I don't think Fire Emblem is the best series for it. It would either be extremely complicated for a broad audience, or it would be a "scenario maker" kind of deal, which definitely has appeal, but not as much as it could have (especially when things such as characters, getting rng blessed/screwed, supports, and so on are what draw some people to Fire Emblem, and a maker may not contain all that).