Next Famitsu preview (personal skills and crests)

Speaking of thieves, I wonder how early in the game you'd need one. We saw a chest in one of the early-game chapters, but one of the enemy units could end up dropping a key for it. But considering that thieves seem to be a tier-2 class this time around, you'd first have to promote a character into say, a myrmidon, and then promote them again into a thief. I could easily see people accidentally missing some chests because they didn't promote someone to a thief in time. (I'm assuming that locktouch will be a Class skill of the thief class and maybe some of its "promotions". )

Or maybe there are some chests that will be missable during your first playthrough, but New Game+ bonuses allow you open the chests this time around, and they contain some strong weapons that let you get through the battles easier if you want so you can focus on the story. Though I kinda doubt they'd have the missable chests, but a New Game+ feature that keeps your instructor levels would be neat....

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

I think the movement gambit could help to even out stuff like Canto, as long as it only affects non-mounted units.  Imagine getting heavy armors to the front lines ASAP!

True, but there's no reason to think such a restriction exists at the moment.

Cavalry is in a weird spot right now, since it requires a focus(which should represent a considerably more significant commitment than... well ever, really), but also gets broken canto.
And then one can only imagine how armor knights could possibly not be horrible as a result, since they face that same focus problem. They'd have to be just as good as canto cavalry.

Good luck with that.

-

As for the tutoring, nothing much I uncovered, but I'll write down what we have still in case someone can figure it out. So here are our examples(Also spoilering the whole thing, too big):

Spoiler

Trailer 2(US):
Dorothea, Reason Magic, D rank, Green mood at 25% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) =  62 -> 56 Exp

Result: GREAT, 1.5x Exp = +9

Spoiler

y8fbQjP.jpgfO4hhUU.jpg
y8fbQjP.jpg

Trailer 2(JP):
Dorothea, Swords, E+ rank, Pink mood at 75% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) + Prof.bonus(+2) = 15 -> 7 Exp

Result: GREAT, 1.5x Exp = +12

Spoiler

pXhwLDk.jpgmNJym2u.jpg
n1buhWo.jpg

26/04 Famitsu:
Edelgard, Axes, D rank, Orange mood at 50% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) = 65 -> 59 Exp

Result: Unknown, rank up to D+

Spoiler

WdSGom1.jpguqoBcs9.jpg
SeBDlMW.jpg

16/05 Famitsu:
Dimitri, Swords, E+ rank, Orange mood at 50% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) + Prof.bonus(+2) = 60 -> 52 Exp

Result: Good, 1x Exp

> Direct Followup
Dimitri, Swords, E+ rank, Orange mood at 50% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) + Prof.bonus(+2) = 52 -> 44 Exp?

Result: GREAT, 1.5x Exp = 12

Spoiler

YTmGX2m.jpgFJuyFJO.jpg

F1dJT2V.jpguOvkzl7.jpg

Dedue, Lances, E+ rank, Orange mood at 50% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) = 28 -> 22 Exp?

Result: GREAT, 1.5x Exp  = 9

> Direct Followup
Dedue, Lances, E+ rank, Orange mood at 25% bar.
4 + Strength(+2) = 19 -> 13 Exp?

Result: PERFECT, 2x Exp = 12
Praising opportunity shown and taken, +25 Motivation

> Direct Followup?
Dedue, Reason magic, E rank, Pink mood at 25% bar.
4 - Weak(-2) = 40 -> 38 Exp

Result is not shown.

Spoiler

K6OmtG3.jpgEdFDkfK.jpg

BgkBxUx.jpgH6SWtXg.jpg
Nq0nkEi.jpgHPASrUD.jpg

kYUBkqY.jpg

Hubert, Lances, E+ rank, Orange mood at 50% bar, skill has 2/3 stars.
4  + Cethlenn(+1) = 12 -> 7 Exp?

Result: Bad, ???x Exp = 3
Praising opportunity shown and taken, +25 Motivation

> Direct Followup?
Hubert, Lances, E+ rank, Pink mood at 50% bar, skill has 2/3 stars.
4 + Cethlenn(+1) = 9 -> 4 Exp?

Result: PERFECT, 2x Exp = 10
Rank up to D, Praising opportunity shown and taken, +25 Motivation

> Followup(after one more Lances tutoring that isn't shown, result would have given +8 Exp and thus been a GREAT(5 x 1.5 = 7.5 rounded up)?
Hubert, Lances, D rank, Pink mood at 25% bar, skill has 2/3 stars.
4 + Cethlenn(+1) = 71 -> 66 Exp

Result: PERFECT, 2x Exp = 10
3rd star acquired, "Ice Lance" skill learned.

Spoiler

jKPtOW4.jpgz0HCJbU.jpg
9N2fKGf.jpgUxxmWZt.jpg

cXJxs0W.jpg0IEjH0l.jpg
Rwq0aro.jpgoleaj18.jpg

4p2OECT.jpgBaIiFpY.jpg
3x4cbpq.jpg

Dorothea, Faith magic, E+ rank, Orange mood at 50% bar, skill has 2/3 stars.
4 + Cethlenn(+1) - Weak(-2) = 13 -> 10 Exp

Result: Good, 1x Exp = 3
3rd star acquired, "Reason magic Avoid +20" skill learned.

Spoiler

ils6yXr.jpgDZOLnJU.jpg
X6uv7yB.jpg

So in conclusion... it all seems very inconsistent at the moment. More importantly, the praising itself may or may not be random; it refills the entirety of the lost gauge, after all. At the same time, that consumed part seems to remain behind as a red portion that probably cannot exceed the full bar, implying there'd be limits. Moreover, praising might modify the student's mood for the worse(as seen in Dedue and Hubert's examples), assuming "Pink XO" is worse than "Orange ;D".

Edited by Cysx

All this new info is really interesting. Glad to finally know how battalions work. All the new information about how the school works is really neat. Part of me is just a little worried that all these different components to student customization and growth might make things too complex; part of me is just concerned that I could end up almost pulling my hair out worried that I made a wrong choice. 

Anyway, regarding the characters, does anyone else think that Felix looks a lot like a younger version of Solf J. Kimblee from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Spoiler

image.png.7a914e9c872395bfc658d78b64dec6b9.pngRelated image

I hate gender-locked classes. Dark Mage being male locked seems an awful move considering Tharja is popular Dark Mage. They can give the girls the Witch class as an equivalent I hope. Finally we got confirmation of fists being infantry locked. Not a fan of infantry so I am unlikely to use fist then.

Edited by Arvin

The gender locks are weird, we have dark mage gender locked, but mage has the exact same weapon types, similarly we have the fist fighter and brigand both wielding the same weapons but one is exclusive to male characters 

1 hour ago, Mackc2 said:

The gender locks are weird, we have dark mage gender locked, but mage has the exact same weapon types, similarly we have the fist fighter and brigand both wielding the same weapons but one is exclusive to male characters 

I think the main differences between them will be class skills and stat caps, since class skills can only be used if you're in that class now. 

Anyone know if the skills learned by Talent Awakening are learnable by anyone else? It wouldn't really make sense if for example Hubert gets Ice Javelin by awakening his talent for Lances if every other lance user gets it as well, just earlier.

2 minutes ago, User name said:

It honestly sounds like blue lions were made with F.byleth in mind,i mean 5 guys vs 3 girls?

Otome emblem right here.

Idc, I'm going into Blue Lions as M.Byleth, all guns blazing, planning to marry my girl Mercedes. But I guess...(Spoilers for ThaniBomb leak)

Spoiler

I guess it is catered towards F.Byleth, since the leak said that Mercedes is bisexual, sooooo

1 hour ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Idc, I'm going into Blue Lions as M.Byleth, all guns blazing, planning to marry my girl Mercedes. But I guess...(Spoilers for ThaniBomb leak)

Reveal hidden contents

I guess it is catered towards F.Byleth, since the leak said that Mercedes is bisexual, sooooo

I do hope some of them are true,but i dont know...it sounds like wish fulfillment BS,like thats exactly what alot of reddit fans want.

Edited by User name

14 minutes ago, User name said:

It honestly sounds like blue lions were made with F.byleth in mind,i mean 5 guys vs 3 girls?

not really that's just unintentional not every side has to have a equal gender ratio.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

Black Eagles is 1 : 1(M : F) - (Ferdinand; Lindhardt; Caspar; Hubert) : (Edelgard; Bernadetta; Dorothea; Petra)

Blue Lions is 5 : 3(M : F) - (Dimitri; Dedue; Felix; Ashe; Sylvain) : (Mercedes; Annette; Ingrid)

Golden Deer is 1 : 1(M : F) - (Claude; Raphael; Lorenz; Ignace(assuming Ignace is a boy)) : (Leonie; Hilda; Lysithea; Marianne)

Idk why I typed that up so extensively but enjoy! Yeah I doubt they meant anything by disrupting the ratio between the Blue Lions and the other two it was most likely unintentional.

It occurs to me that if you pair Felix's personal skill (which I assume to be 5 true damage per strike) with Gauntlets he could be an offensive juggernaut in the early game. Even more so If he's fast enough to quad which isn't out of the question as he seems to be our Navarre archetype. We still don't know how heavy gauntlets are relative to other weapons though so it's tough to say

The gender lock for classes sucks; that's disappointing.

As for Crests, I was think that if we don't get the children system, then the support system could be a way of spreading their effects around. So like if you S rank two units (or whatever the equivalent is, if there is) then the partner gets the effects of the Crest the original bearer has. So you could choose to partner two Crest bearers for two stronger units, or have a bearer and a normal unit to spread the effects more.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

I do find it funny that this is turning out to be more of an actual FE x SMT than the real FE x SMT did.

You mean Persona.  Because the story will need some seriously screwed-up elements for SMT.

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

You mean Persona.  Because the story will need some seriously screwed-up elements for SMT.

Even so, it's still closer to what most of us were expecting from that crossover.

Plus, Persona delves into some pretty screwed up elements in its own right. Baring in mind that Persona 5 has...

Spoiler

An entire arc based around stopping a sex offender, who caused one of his underage victims to attempt suicide.

Edited by Etheus

2 hours ago, colossus86 said:

It occurs to me that if you pair Felix's personal skill (which I assume to be 5 true damage per strike) with Gauntlets he could be an offensive juggernaut in the early game. Even more so If he's fast enough to quad which isn't out of the question as he seems to be our Navarre archetype. We still don't know how heavy gauntlets are relative to other weapons though so it's tough to say

Keep in mind that +n damage skills in Fates added to your Damage stat, but it's not true damage; you can still tink.

5 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Even so, it's still closer to what most of us were expecting from that crossover.

Plus, Persona delves into some pretty screwed up elements in its own right. Baring in mind that Persona 5 has...

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know what you had in mind back then.  I was expecting nightmare fuel, and that didn't happen.  Instead, we got a mix of pop idol culture with some surreal dungeons, and a lot of colored silhouettes.

Three Houses, on the other hand, reminds me more of the least-enjoyable parts of Trails of Cold Steel.  I don't think I've been this apprehensive about a FE game release, ever.

16 hours ago, Arvin said:

I hate gender-locked classes. Dark Mage being male locked seems an awful move considering Tharja is popular Dark Mage. They can give the girls the Witch class as an equivalent I hope. Finally we got confirmation of fists being infantry locked. Not a fan of infantry so I am unlikely to use fist then.

...aaaaand Tharja being popular has what exactly to do with this topic?? Also, I'm not sure I'd like Witches coming back if it means Warping does too...

9 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Do we know if there will be any more Famitsu previews?

There is no guarantee but it's likely we'll get more.

There are plenty more characters to cover that we know names of, never mind ones we haven't seen.

Also, they've yet to explain magic, combat arts or show any advanced classes.

^they also yet spoke about supports, forging(from the forging stones), Crests and it's benefits to wielders, the arena training area, etc so we'll definitely have more to see.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

I would say two weeks sounds right maybe, by then we'll have another set of 6 students and two new npcs to talk about (the npcs more than likely being Rhea's assistant guy and that knight we see talking to Jeralt who has a rather unique design). We still have 5 students from each house to get through so that's at least 5 weeks of reveals (all the students should be revealed by the 21st of next month) and if we get an article every second week, that's 2 more articles maybe 3 if they are still revealing characters after all the students in a 6th week.