Super Mario Maker 2 Direct 5/15/2019

Youtube Link

Not the single game focused Direct I expected we'd get before E3. My money was on Pokemon. Maybe even Animal Crossing. Because Mario Maker I think does very well at E3. Still I think this game is a bigger deal than Nintendo have thus far acknowledged. Almost on the level of Pokemon or Smash, so I'm hoping for a good show. What new/returning features do you want to see? I'm curious about the state of those costumes in the new game.

Edited by Glennstavos

This surprises me too since it's so close to E3. I don't think we've ever gotten an actual Direct this close to it.

But there's nothing in particular I hope for, I just wanna see some neat stuff. :P Maybe a confirmation that we can indeed choose to play as Luigi, though that seems obvious with him in the artwork and Mario holding a cat Luigi.

well, more time that they can spend to focus on new things at E3 i guess

i'm ok with it, even though i don't care about super mario maker 2

I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I think it'd be pretty great if all the Super Mario Maker 1 levels people have made were portable to the sequel. Not so much for players happy to have their creations there on day one, but so Nintendo can say "Super Mario Maker 2 has millions of levels already published on launch day, and more to come from creators!". That's a hell of a sales pitch when playing up the total value this game has even if you never set foot in its level creator. Littlebigplanet's sequels also had levels from the original game accessible, so the idea isn't unheard of.

Edited by Glennstavos

I loved the original in concept and loved watching videos about Super Mario Maker, but I never actually put much time into playing the game when I purchased the first one. If I had unlimited funds and time, I would love to pick up the second title and mess around with it, but otherwise I may end up skipping it for now.

As for the Direct itself, I wonder if they may reveal "new victory conditions" besides just reaching the goal at the end. For example, beating a boss or collecting all the items. I know there were workarounds in the original (give a boss a key that unlocks the victory door, collect all coins to get a key that unlocks the victory door, etc.) but it would be nice if this became standard.
Also, infinitely looping levels. This would probably be best for "collect the coin" stages where the player has to collect everything before winning. Another crazy feature would be a "Mario Paint" style music creator that players can use for their levels. People were already making automatic stages and music stages in the first title, so proper tools for this would be awesome to see.

Honestly, I want to see what's new in the Super Mario World and the original Mario Bros. themes. They were the ones I used the most and the games I have the most nostalgia for.

The Direct was interesting!

But I'm sad there was no mention of the first game's Amiibo functionality where scanning an Amiibo will add an 8-bit costume of the character for Mario to find. I really loved this! I'll be so sad if it's really gone! Why would they remove such a fun feature? ;_;

It's too GOOD. The Story Mode is the best reveal. The original game had a very clunky method of unlocking new features, so level challenges will be a better way to guide the player. And the rebuilding of a castle sounds like a fun goal to work towards as well.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The Direct was interesting!

But I'm sad there was no mention of the first game's Amiibo functionality where scanning an Amiibo will add an 8-bit costume of the character for Mario to find. I really loved this! I'll be so sad if it's really gone! Why would they remove such a fun feature? ;_;

It is definitely concerning. Maybe they will have to add them back in an update after release, but I'm pretty sure the Mystery Mushroom was one of the first things announced in the original Mario Maker's trailers so not having seen it yet gives me the impression it may not be in the game after all. I hope it returns, because people got very creative in referencing other games with the help of these other character costumes

Aww man, I missed it? I guess I got too excited about replacing my broken HDD with a new SSD.

I'll look back on the vod later and give me impressions then.

* * * * * EDIT * * * * *

- Clear Conditions are a thing! Woo!
- Loving the new themes and music! Night mode is cool too!
--- Man, it sorta sucks that 3D world is separate and its own thing. It makes sense, but having it be compatible with the other titles would be cooler.
- Story Mode looks nice!
- Multiplayer sounds pretty cool as well.

Overall, a pretty awesome Direct for Super Mario Maker 2. I'm more tempted to pick it up now, but I'm still probably going to wait since I didn't put a lot of time in the original as I would have liked.

Edited by Sire

11 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

It is definitely concerning. Maybe they will have to add them back in an update after release, but I'm pretty sure the Mystery Mushroom was one of the first things announced in the original Mario Maker's trailers so not having seen it yet gives me the impression it may not be in the game after all. I hope it returns, because people got very creative in referencing other games with the help of these other character costumes

Yeah, I do hope it'll at least be added in an update like how we got the stage builder back in Smash. I don't get why they'd just throw away such a fun feature otherwise.

46 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Don't really know if Nintendo is decreasing their use of Amiibos, but maybe they'll give away free pixelated characters as new games release? I don't think making 8-bit Byleth or Sequel of the Wild Link & Zelda freebies would ruin this game's bottom line. Mario Tennis Aces did it seems give away a whole bunch of free DLC playable characters- and those would've cost much more to make I imagine. 

That direct got me super hyped. I just wish they'd given more time to the vertical levels. And is it really only sub-levels that can be made vertical?

That blank space next to 3D World and "Extra Game Styles" is basically a confirmation in my eyes that at least one more (and probably just one) style is coming, and my guess is Super Mario Bros. 2.

Edited by Florete

Pretty interesting direct. Wish they didn't spend the first three minutes talking about things you could do in the first game but overall I liked what I saw. Really liked the Dry Bones equivalent of the goomba shoe, being able to drive a kart and seeing Boom Boom. Seeing that empty space next to 3D World makes me hope they are adding in a Super Mario Bros 2 option into the game. Maybe even Mario Land as well. Really like the new custom music they are adding for the new backdrops and night stages. 100 man challenge also seemed to have been replaced by a Survivor Challenge. Guess we will see if that ends up being better or worse.

Was hoping to see more powerups added like the Frog and Hammer Suits but oh well. Also, unless I missed hearing it I'm hoping there is a local multiplayer option as well.

Guess I am getting the $70.00 option with the 12 month subscription because this is the game that is finally going to get me to buy their subscription program. Hopefully we hear more about Mario Maker 2 during Nintendo's Treehouse segment at E3. Really excited since this is the game I am most excited to play this year.

Edited by NSSKG151