How to avoid pairing Briggid with Finn

ForteGX

I was reading up on the love mechanics and I am not sure how to avoid having Finn marry anyone. His 180 base and + 10 growth per turn with Briggid makes it seem like he will always marry her because that +10 out paces the +5 adjacent. Am I missing something or do I just need to kill him?

That answer to that is a bit of a spoiler, so read at your own risk. You are missing something, but that is all I will say outside the spoiler tab

Spoiler

Finn, Quan, and Ethlyn leave at the start of chapter 4, so the turns between when you recruit Briggid near the end of chapter 3, and turn 50 of chapter 3 are their only opportunity to gain love points or marry.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

8 hours ago, ForteGX said:

I was reading up on the love mechanics and I am not sure how to avoid having Finn marry anyone. His 180 base and + 10 growth per turn with Briggid makes it seem like he will always marry her because that +10 out paces the +5 adjacent. Am I missing something or do I just need to kill him?

as long as you keep them away from each other, it won't be an issue due to story development. you'll understand why once you complete the chapter and start the next one.

14 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That answer to that is a bit of a spoiler, so read at your own risk. You are missing something, but that is all I will say outside the spoiler tab

Hide contents

Finn, Quan, and Ethlyn leave at the start of chapter 4, so the turns between when you recruit Briggid near the end of chapter 3, and turn 50 of chapter 3 are their only opportunity to gain love points or marry.

To add to this...

Spoiler

It takes a total of 32 turns at max to get them paired. This of course can be sped up through having them stand next to one another, which boosts two unit's love growth per turn by 5. However It will still take 21 turns to to pair them if they spend every single turn glued to one another.

This wouldn't be a very big deal if Briggid didn't join during the last castle seize in one of the most annoyingly long FE4 maps in terms of backtracking while nothing is happening. The location she starts out in also makes thing problematic as she is all the way on the top of the map and has to survive being chased by an entire army of Pirates and Hunters that are all targeting her. Also in order for her to survive she has to run in the opposite direction of the one tile sized bridge that connects the northern part of the map where the final castle is and the southern part where all the other castles are.

Actually, their combined love growth and base, as high they are, aren't high enough as is for them to be realistically paired paired at all unless you speed though the map as fast as physically possible. You'd have to get all the way through the map dealing with shit like Eldigan and the Cross Knights within 32 turns.

Even then I I have no idea why anyone would pair these two in the first place other than for bragging rights, shits and giggles, or cause both of them are playable iand play a somewhat major roll in FE5. You are getting the subs than doing this pairing as they have the same skills and (iirc) betters stats.  Daisy and Asaello (the substitutes of Patty and Febail) are also WAY better characters, particularly Asaello, and anyone who gets the kids over them is bad and dumb.

1 hour ago, CatManThree said:

Even then I I have no idea why anyone would pair these two in the first place other than for bragging rights, shits and giggles, or cause both of them are playable iand play a somewhat major roll in FE5. You are getting the subs than doing this pairing as they have the same skills and (iirc) betters stats.  Daisy and Asaello (the substitutes of Patty and Febail) are also WAY better characters, particularly Asaello, and anyone who gets the kids over them is bad and dumb.

Yewfelle is something Asaello could never have, that alone makes Febail better, since it's a 40 Mt weapon. Sure it is relatively inaccurate among weapons, but that hardly matters, and Yewfelle landing two hits is consistent than proccing Asaello's Charge I would say. At base level with max HP against a 0 AS enemy while he uses a Silver Bow (the higher it is the less of a chance he has), Asaello has a [(15-8) - 0 + (36/2)] = 25% chance of triggering a round of Charge.

The Killer as a cheaper backup weapon for when you simply can't afford a miss is perfectly reasonable for Febail, Lester with the Brave can certainly consistently land his shots (more so with Midir for Brave Pursuit quadshots).

And growths-wise:

Spoiler
Daisy HP 50 Str 10 Mag 10 Skl 30 Spd 50 Lck 30 Def 20 Res 10

Fin!Patty HP 105 Str 45 Mag 22 Skl 50 Spd 35 Lck 65 Def 35 Res 7

Being slower doesn't really matter when you don't have Pursuit, and Daisy won't until promotion, which will be a chore even with her powers to Miracle abuse. And as you can see, while both have that horrendous Thief Str base, Daisy's growth is nonexistent while Patty has a good one, and thanks to inherited Pursuit and also a higher Magic growth, Patty will be able to put out more damage.

Asaello HP 90 Str 40 Mag 5 Skl 10 Spd 20 Lck 60 Def 30 Res 5

Fin!Febail HP 135 Str 45 Mag 15 Skl 55 Spd 40 Lck 115 Def 40 Res 7

Yup, higher across the board, with the much higher Skl growth being particularly notable.