Are houses based on nationalities really the best way to maintain the peace?

This is something that has irked me a little bit for a while. If these nations are in a tenuous period of peace and the purpose of the academy is to train future national leaders, wouldn't the best way to maintain the peace be to make each of the houses a combination of students from each nation rather than making each house a representative of its own respective nation?

I think there is an interesting line of discussion. Is the monastery truly attempting to keep the nations in harmony, or is it intentionally seperating national leaders to encourage nationalism and spread the seeds of war?

9 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well the church prides itself on bringing peace. I'd be awfully inconvenient if those pesky nations decided to no longer need the church for that.

That is an interesting thought.

But the church could also be attempting to use that as a cover to sow the seeds of war and establishing the peace and control it wants by reabsorbing Faerghus and Leiceister into the empire. It's hard to be at war in the future, after all, if everyone is under the same banner.

Edited by Etheus

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well the church prides itself on bringing peace. I'd be awfully inconvenient if those pesky nations decided to no longer need the church for that.

Imagine belonging to the Church of Seiros, just doing your regular thing trying to make the world a better place, and then you stumble upon this forum where everyone's convinced they're evil. Maybe we are the ones to blame.

11 minutes ago, Etheus said:

This is something that has irked me a little bit for a while. If these nations are in a tenuous period of peace and the purpose of the academy is to train future national leaders, wouldn't the best way to maintain the peace be to make each of the houses a combination of students from each nation rather than making each house a representative of its own respective nation?

I'm not sure how. If the leaders are learning to lead their countries I think it makes more sense for them to get to know their subjects and their subjects to get to know them. That's not to say they can't be friends with people from other houses but it makes more sense to group all the members of one house together.

In general though, if the peace is tentative I'd think it makes perfect sense to put them together even still. The countries may not be at war and the school may be neutral ground but that doesn't mean the countries are friendly. Splitting the houses by nation both helps the members bond through common ground and inspires loyalty to each other.

27 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I think there is an interesting line of discussion. Is the monastery truly attempting to keep the nations in harmony, or is it intentionally seperating national leaders to encourage nationalism and spread the seeds of war?

I'd contend that the way the classes are divided might not be fully up to the church. Presuming that attending the school is voluntary, it could be the nations themselves who want to keep everyone separated. It sounds like a huge national security risk to have the heirs of nobility, who are probably privy to some very important info on the state of your nation, to be forced into intermingling with blue bloods of another nation.

Overall this is a hard thing to talk about since we have no real information on the current state of affairs of the three nations. Most of the info we have is old history or about the church its self, and if the current peace is hanging on by thread, mixing the classes might be seen as too likely to cause an international indecent.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

But clearly ALL the houses interact and talk and fight together. They're all at the same place, and we saw them dueling and sparring each other. I would think it seems obvious that friendships would develop outside of "nation lines", but the easiest way to divide them up is probably by nation.

Not to mention it's probably beneficial for the heir apparent to work with the future leaders of their nation in such tight knit groups. They get exposure to everyone, but their main "squad" is the people that will be directly around them for their rule. At least that what it seems like to me based on the info we got.

If they wanted to intentionally spark nationalism (which inherently everyone has, I mean look at the way people in the States put their state pride above their nation), I think they'd have 3 separate, non-interacting schools instead of one where they're all under one-roof where clearly they're going to get exposed to everyone.

This would be a very pertinent question to ask today in the 21st century. But I wouldn't ascribe any Fire Emblem world to be so advanced. Collaborative Intragovernment organizations, even those on the same continent, are an idea only practiced in the last century or two. We don't know the nature of these countries' relationships to the Church of Seiros, but I would imagine they all pledge their allegiance to the Church and profess "absolute authority", so conflict is probably infrequent as a result. Empires would eat up smaller nations because there was no reason to respect their godless authority, but that changes if we're all professing the divine right to rule as respected by a central head of the Church. Wars based on national interest that aren't "I want my empire to be bigger" are a pretty post-Thirty Years War concept for Europe, and at that point we're approaching Enlightenment era where National Interest started to completely supercede Church interest. Once religious wars started to seem futile and contradictory to the health of nations, then we start to see wars based on contemporary political concerns. And the rise of nationalism, some scholars will say.

Heading back to the central question, countries simply don't trust each other enough for that level of cooperation. But they will trust God. So I don't think the goals of the Garreg Mach Monastery are similar to that of a League of Nations. But we should wait for what the game says about this organization's goals. If the Church of Seiros has authority on the level of the Papacy, then countries only need concern themselves with trying to improve their standing with the Church before any rival countries. The Monastery is certainly an anomaly though. Can't think of any historical equivalent to such an organization with how much we know.

Also : the fact that the super-mercenary-best-teacher-ever has to choose one house over the others. We could imagine that it would more likely spark tensions and jealousy from the others ? Why can't they have the new teacher ?

Maybe, if the aim is peace, Byleth could have taken students from all the houses, so they can learn to grow together and to know each other.

17 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

This would be a very pertinent question to ask today in the 21st century. But I wouldn't ascribe any Fire Emblem world to be so advanced.

Exactly. The series takes place in a Medieval European Fantasy world with maybe some other feudal places based on Asia etc. Theoretically, yes, splitting the Houses based on nationality may make tension, but so could cramming them all together. It's a school open to all nations, so if they wanted to make tension, why not have three different schools? This thread has an interesting question, but I don't know if the game will actually go that deep into politics.

24 minutes ago, Clathy said:

Also : the fact that the super-mercenary-best-teacher-ever has to choose one house over the others. We could imagine that it would more likely spark tensions and jealousy from the others ? Why can't they have the new teacher ?

Maybe, if the aim is peace, Byleth could have taken students from all the houses, so they can learn to grow together and to know each other.

Those are my thoughts exactly.

A large part of this is that, in traditional FE games (and in fact almost every good JRPG ever made), your characters come from a variety of places and walks of life. Having your roster comprised of a single nation will not only make them seem more homogenous/bland (not at all helped by the uniforms in this game), but also rob the player of interesting worldbuilding and conversations that could otherwise occur.

Edited by Etheus

55 minutes ago, Etheus said:

A large part of this is that, in traditional FE games (and in fact almost every good JRPG ever made), your characters come from a variety of places and walks of life. Having your roster comprised of a single nation will not only make them seem more homogenous/bland (not at all helped by the uniforms in this game), but also rob the player of interesting worldbuilding and conversations that could otherwise occur.

We don't know that yet. ;):

What we DO know is that there's a mix of nobles and commoners within the houses.  Sounds like there's class-based things mixed with nation-based things.  Trying to mix everything together would probably be too much to take in.

I somewhat doubt that the three nations would be that worried about how the students are divided. 

Maybe if some kind of issue pops up between one nation's house and another, but that could just as easily happen with any conflict between students of different nations (or at least the noble ones)

If there was a system of points like in Harry Potter, which have to be one of the things to never ever do in a school, I'd actually agree with you. Well, maybe there will be one, but in which case, WTF is wrong with them ? except if it's assumed. And meanwhile...

On 16/05/2019 at 9:43 PM, Flere210 said:

Mixed houses seem an excellent way for spies and assassins to get close to the heir of a rival nation... there seems to be litle trust between the countries, if not outright cold war.

Flere210 have this, and I kind of agree.

Of course, there's also the fact that having the new super badass teacher in there picking one house is one way to destroy the fragile balance, but meanwhile, there's also the church, if it is anything like the church in real-life medieval/whatever, you don't screw with the church, ever, you don't want to be in their shit list. So maybe the other houses will be salty, but the salt will be purified by fear of the church.

No one expects the spanish inquisition... except you probably should, because you are kind of living in their houses. :p

One house to rule them all, one house to find them.
One house to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

It reminds me of FE4, Sigurd, Quan and Eldigan were from some sort of super-school. Good time !

Edited by B.Leu