Valkyria Chronicles 4 Completed (SPOILERS)

Zihark11

So ive seen a couple other people post about the game so thought i would share my experience. 

I finally got around to playing the game and completing it. It was a lot of fun and there was a good amount of content. Overall i put 55 hours into the game. I really like all the new additions. I hope if there is another one that they moving the setting away from WW2 and go to another war. The only thing i found kinda upsetting was the ending. They never explain what really happens to the characters other then there bios in the personal section. 

I also think the best thing was the squad stories. getting more content for all the characters was awesome. not to mention in the post game getting to recruit otherwise unplayable characters in the main story was also nice. Completing the 3 DLCS was also a lot fun, they were short but cool. i love turn based strategy (AKA fire emblem) and this is exactly that but with guns so its a nice change of pace, if you haven't played it i highly recommend it.

Overall i give the game a 8.5/10. The characters are likable/relatable, the maps and combat are fresh throughout the entire game, the story is based off of real life events and there is a large content pool.  i Actually ended spending more time in the skirmishes then i expected just because the gameplay and squad stories were worth unlocking. 

also some advice, focus on the objective you do not have to waste your time killing everyone and your units can take some hits so don't be afraid to be aggressive sometimes, plus you can save mid battle so no risk of having to redo the whole chapter again. 

6 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

They never explain what really happens to the characters other then there bios in the personal section. 

did you get the True Ending?

24 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

did you get the True Ending?

yeah i went back and did the final chapter again. didint really change to much. i do appreciate games with multiple endings though.

I bought it November of last year, and I got as far as the mission where you help a resistance group, but then I got busy from University and I had to stop. I hope to finish it over the summer. I've been really liking it so far. 

1 hour ago, Zihark11 said:

I hope if there is another one that they moving the setting away from WW2 and go to another war. 

Same. My first thought would be that Valkyria Chronicles 5 should be a prequel game that goes back to the First Europan War (i.e. WW1). It would present a bunch of new gameplay opportunities: trench warfare, cavalry, shells, etc. One feature of WW1 was anti-tank rifles, which would be an interesting weapon to include. 

17 hours ago, Zihark11 said:

I hope if there is another one that they moving the setting away from WW2 and go to another war.

I kinda like to see the Asian-Pacific Theatre equivalent before we move away from WW2, though I guess I shouldn't hold my hopes. (I guess I'd like to learn more of how my country has gone so wrong during my grandparents' days.)

On a more relevant note, what's the difficulty like?

Edited by henrymidfields

15 minutes ago, henrymidfields said:

I kinda like to see the Asian-Pacific Theatre equivalent before we move away from WW2, though I guess I shouldn't hold my hopes.

There are hints about not-Japan and not-America going to war post-VC4, but a jp developer doing a game about japan in WW2 can be pretty hard.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:58 AM, henrymidfields said:

I kinda like to see the Asian-Pacific Theatre equivalent before we move away from WW2, though I guess I shouldn't hold my hopes. (I guess I'd like to learn more of how my country has gone so wrong during my grandparents' days.)

On a more relevant note, what's the difficulty like?

I actually found it easier then Valkyria chronicles 1. Could just be i have the experience now but felt like that.