Thoughts and Questions on FE:15 (spoilers)

12 minutes ago, Quiyonce said:

Oh, I definitely did not use any knights past early-mid game in BB. I actually think they have more potential in SoV which is why their lack or movement bothers me more in that game; because they could be more useful. And the only non-mounted archer that didn't get benched was Klein, and that's majorily out of favoritism so I definitely get what you're saying.

Personally, if I'm sending my cavs/fliers to do something extra like save a village or ferry a unit, I'd rather them not have to fight a lot of enemies as well so I just lure them to the foot units until I'm done with the extra stuff. I think the game has enough mounted units to ferry around freely so I usually just rescued instead of having my foot units play continuous catch up.

See, that's the problem - if I have to constantly rescue my foot units forward for them to contribute in any meaningful fashion, it's obvious something's wrong. Especially when most foot units aren't so great in combat as to make having to constantly do so worth it.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, Quiyonce said:

Not if that one person is right in front of your face and you're letting him run rampant. I think I'd be more understanding of Jedah's plan if he ordered one of his daughters to stay back and kill/capture Alm. Or teleported Mila and Falchion in Duma's lair so at least it would be better guarded. No matter how hard I try to rationalize it, Jedah's actions regarding Alm just seem irresponsible.

Only one (remaining) person could access the Royal vault, while anyone could go to Duma's lair. And said vault is guarded by the undead, gargoyles, and dragons, so Alm would have to face them all on his own, which would wear him out, if not kill him. And if he won in the fight against Celica, it would be a bittersweet victory for him and the Falchion would still be sealed. Perhaps Jedah originally planned to kill Alm himself if such a scenario happened, but then Mila intervened.

Point is, Alm and co were at the heart of the Duma Faithful, and if Alm died, then Jedah fully won. Mila and Celica were placed in the vault to rot so that no one else would mess with them. They could have made a more focused assault, I agree, but perhaps that's explained by Celicas party being constantly attacked at the same time that Alms group is exploring.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

See, that's the problem - if I have to constantly rescue my foot units forward for them to contribute in any meaningful fashion, it's obvious something's wrong. Especially when most foot units aren't so great in combat as to make having to constantly do so worth it.

Makes sense. It just didn't bother me as much. Obviously BB didn't have the best map structure, I just found it, for the most part, easier to deal with than in SoV. Rescuing and dropping units has its own set of issues but I do like at least having the option.

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Only one (remaining) person could access the Royal vault, while anyone could go to Duma's lair. And said vault is guarded by the undead, gargoyles, and dragons, so Alm would have to face them all on his own, which would wear him out, if not kill him. And if he won in the fight against Celica, it would be a bittersweet victory for him and the Falchion would still be sealed. Perhaps Jedah originally planned to kill Alm himself if such a scenario happened, but then Mila intervened.

Point is, Alm and co were at the heart of the Duma Faithful, and if Alm died, then Jedah fully won. Mila and Celica were placed in the vault to rot so that no one else would mess with them. They could have made a more focused assault, I agree, but perhaps that's explained by Celicas party being constantly attacked at the same time that Alms group is exploring.

Regardless of how many enemies were guarding the vault, Duma, whose only weakness is Falchion, will always make a better guard.

The thing about Jedah's plan is that it seems to be mostly conjecture on Jedah's part. We never see Duma tell Jedah to bring him a branded, Jedah does so of his own accord. He believes it will work but there's no proof that it's the actual cure to madness. It's possible that Duma needed the souls of both branded or that his plan wouldn't work at all. Jedah making the choice to let Alm, the only possible person who could still harm Duma, roam freely and not have any backup if Celica's soul wasn't enough is completely counterintuitive to how intelligent and manipulative Jedah is supposed to be perceived as.

If Jedah really only wanted Alm and Celica to fight because it would be bittersweet for Alm, then Jedah is sadistic to a fault and that character trait should've been expanded on more earlier in the game. It also wouldn't hurt if Jedah actually antagonised Alm into finding Celica if that was the case.

Obviously, the game plays out the way it does because Alm v Celica is a crux of the game and dungeon crawling is a main selling point. This all makes sense gameplay-wise but I really think there was a better way to integrate these aspects into the plot. Like I said earlier, something as easy as Jedah telling one of his daughters to capture Alm or a line about goading Alm into finding Celica would've made the story flow better. Almost anything would've been better than Jedah just vanishing amd leaving Alm to his own devices.

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 8:30 AM, Quiyonce said:

For those whose favorite or close to favorite FE game is SoV, what draws you to this title? I think it's an enjoyable experience but, personally, I think the replay value is pretty low. 

Just gonna answer this one: For me it's a mix of story, characters, presentation and simplicity that does the trick for me. Messing around with classes in Fates might be fun, but I personally find it incredibly overwhelming at times. SoV is just much easier to play, while still offering a reasonable challenge on Hard Mode I find (I personally don't use the Turnwheel to rewind deaths).