What non-lords would make better lords than the actual one(s) for their game?

If you could replace any lord with another character from the same game and have their story affect this new character, who would you pick and why? Embrace fanfiction as much as you like.

For me, Zihark would have made a better lord than Ike. These two characters share similar character elements (sympathy for the Laguz, a desire to improve racial relations, and a loyalty for their country), but all of these traits and more are expressed so much more strongly and effectively in Zihark. Unlike Ike, Zihark is meaningfully tested in his convictions when forced to choose between his beliefs and his nation, and, depending on your choices, he can actually betray one or the other, becoming a hero or a pawn.

Zihark is also a more emotive character. He's charming, humorous, and sociable, where Ike is blunt, humorless, and stoic. Zihark's backstory is sourced from romance, whereas Ike ignores any romantic prospects (so much so that his sexuality, or lack thereof, is still debated on).

A Fire Emblem Path of Radiance with Zihark at the helm would be an interesting one. Perhaps we see a campaign in which Zihark's former girlfriend is slain or chased out by his fellow countrymen. He then leaves Daien and takes up arms against it to forge a better world. In The Black Knight, he sees not an opportunity for revenge, but an enigmatic embodiment of the Daien he wishes to break, and takes up the Ragnell to do just that.

I would also give Zihark a canonical love interest (with an inbuilt bond support not reliant on support conversations) in this alternative story line. I am personally a fan of the chemistry between Ike and Lethe, with them effectively representing the same character arc on opposite sides. With Zihark, and I think that could go further. Lethe's character arc ends at respecting particular Beorc/acknowledging that they aren't all bad. With Zihark, she could further that arc into, like him, actively pushing to improve racial relations and forming a relationship with him that could represent that.

Edited by Etheus

I think Xander would have made a MUCH better protagonist for Fates: Conquest than Corrin. The whole "Let's reform Nohr from within" just seems like a more personal goal to Xander, a person who cares about his country and family but lives under a vile warmonger. You could make a much more interesting story out of Xander taking the throne by force and leading his country into a new age instead of "YOU THE PLAYER must do the bidding of an evil slimeball who is an evil slimeball until they sit on the magic chair that makes them reveal their slime, all while questioning your choices every five seconds".

Shadow Dragon from the perspective of Ceada: After her surprise at woo-ing Marth and his knights to her defense against the Galdr Pirates, she realized her true calling in life - assembling an army of boy toys to maintain world peace. Through her journey, she also realizes Marth's affections to her were genuine when she finds he is actually resistant to her superpowered charms. Not wanting to believe that men will do the right thing and help others in a time of crisis, she agrees to marry him in hopes of finding ways to hone her skills on a man that can seemingly resist them.

28 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Shadow Dragon from the perspective of Ceada: After her surprise at woo-ing Marth and his knights to her defense against the Galdr Pirates, she realized her true calling in life - assembling an army of boy toys to maintain world peace. Through her journey, she also realizes Marth's affections to her were genuine when she finds he is actually resistant to her superpowered charms. Not wanting to believe that men will do the right thing and help others in a time of crisis, she agrees to marry him in hopes of finding ways to hone her skills on a man that can seemingly resist them.

Despite not liking the female lords we've had so far (Lyn aside), I actually think that Shadow Dragon would be more interesting with Caeda, Linde, or Minerva as its lord, rather than the bland tofu known as Marth.

Takumi would have made for a pretty interesting lord. Out of the cast Takumi  has the highest chance for character growth, he's more expressive than the kinda boring Ryoma and better received than the polarizing Corrin, his parents die like every lord's parents should and he has very  personal involvement in the plot. 

Finn as thracia protagonist because you could set him across many years and have a much better picture of what happened to jugdral during the timeskip, and because Leif story feel incomplete in fe5 because his arc is only finished in fe4. I would had some person enmity between Finn and Raydrik, in order to make the latter Finn arch nemesis.

Leo as conquest protagonist because he is the most suited character to a "change Nohr from whitin" storyline. He can easily became a Roy Mustang like character. Xander is too lawful stupid to actually rebel unless he find out that Garon is literally not himself anymore. Simalarly, Takumi would be a good protagonist from birthright, especially if he have to strugle with Anankos trying yo turn him into Betrayal and Azura for revelation. Hell, Azura would work as a protagonist in General and so we coul scrap the whole "i can't talk about Valla because it would spoil Revelation."

Michaia as RD protagonist...

4 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Finn as thracia protagonist because you could set him across many years and have a much better picture of what happened to jugdral during the timeskip, and because Leif story feel incomplete in fe5 because his arc is only finished in fe4. I would had some person enmity between Finn and Raydrik, in order to make the latter Finn arch nemesis.

Plus from his character design alone, he looks like he's a protagonist. It's the blue hair

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Michaia as RD protagonist...

She already is though!!!!!! : P 

And really for me...I would replace Roy and make Lilina the lord, I just find her a much better character than him, or at least she would had made a more fun lord. 

29 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

It's pretty much a given that literally anyone would've been a better protagonist of Fates' story than Corrin, but if I had to choose who would replace Corrin as the protagonist, probably Leo.

Literally anyone, you say? *Imagines Fates through Arthur's perspective. Spits out coffee.*

29 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Literally anyone, you say? *Imagines Fates through Arthur's perspective. Spits out coffee.*

I would actually pay money for that game because I would be laughing the whole time I played it and I need a good laugh.

Anyway I would say Sacred Stones from Joshua's view point would be cool.

Edited by EricaofRenais

1 hour ago, EricaofRenais said:

I would actually pay money for that game because I would be laughing the whole time I played it and I need a good laugh.

I would totally pay full price for that that as well. I've always loved Arthur from day one, yes he's a goofy character, but that's exactly why he's so entertaining.

I think it would be interesting if Minerva was the protagonist of Shadow Dragon so that the first 9 chapters could be a new campaign where we see Minerva's struggle fighting for the Dolunian Empire against the Altean Army while her sister is held hostage.

I want my tragicomedy featuring Valbar, Leon, and Kamui already, IS. Don't care if the game has gone a year without DLC, I would still buy it.

6 hours ago, Etheus said:

Despite not liking the female lords we've had so far (Lyn aside), I actually think that Shadow Dragon would be more interesting with Caeda, Linde, or Minerva as its lord, rather than the bland tofu known as Marth.

Marth in Shadow Dragon is honestly a much stronger character than many other Lord in the series. Let alone Linde(does jackshit.txt) and Minerva(not exactly in the best position)

You know who actually would be a interesting second Lord to round out Marth? Hardin. Because Mystery makes SUCH a big deal out of having Marth moving on from the boy that is guided by Hardin, but then we get him doing just as jackshit in Shadow Dragon

August and Dorias being the true Lord characters with Leif as a more overt figurehead who leans on them more heavily. Post-chapter 18 now allows you to choose who goes to Alster, which affects the final stretch of the game, the ending, and to a degree Leif as he takes over as the leader. It would drive home the game's message about how heroes are not born, but made.

20 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Marth in Shadow Dragon is honestly a much stronger character than many other Lord in the series. Let alone Linde(does jackshit.txt) and Minerva(not exactly in the best position)

You know who actually would be a interesting second Lord to round out Marth? Hardin. Because Mystery makes SUCH a big deal out of having Marth moving on from the boy that is guided by Hardin, but then we get him doing just as jackshit in Shadow Dragon

No one in Shadow Dragon has much character, to be clear. But Minerva has the best arc. And she would have fit in well as a main lord. Plus, how cool would Hauteclaire have been as the iconic first legendary weapon? And how cool would Minerva have been as a Smash Bros and other crossover mascot?

Edited by Etheus

Anyone but Corrin for Fates would be good. I might be in the minority who likes self-inserting, but I kind of prefer a self-insert who isn't the center of the plot but instead just another unit. Kind of like Robin in the first half of Awakening. Corrin existing as a character isn't really a problem, but the absolute degree to which they were the center of the universe was absurd. I like Takumi or Xander for the two nations respectively. 

I also think Minerva as an alternate lord for Shadow Dragon would be super interesting as mentioned. 

Xander/Leo for Conquest. I actually like how Conquest (well, Nohr) gets a lot more characters than just the playable cast. It has the most potential for character interaction, with a premise full of intrigue and a predominantly evil-to-morally-gray cast. I can already imagine how entertaining the dialogue would be without Azura and Corrin in the mix, with Garon and Iago not trying to kill our protagonists every five seconds. I think it would give also some relevancy to Camilla and Elise, and even the rest of the cast, who are all clearly affected by life in Nohr.

For Birthright, I just don't see what's in it for most characters in that game, since they all seek Corrin and then go to war, end of story. I like the characters, but by and large I just felt that there were no personal stakes in it for them. Anyway, with Corrin out of the way, I'd say Takumi and Oboro. It would be interesting to see otherwise decent people have a rabid and irrational hatred of the enemy. Yes, some of the hate is justified, but most Fire Emblem protagonists tend not to hate those who oppose them yet do them no wrong (your regular soldiers and such).

Sorry, I think Revelation has too bad of a story to be saved by any character changes.

Shadows of Valentia has a great cast that I think is mostly fine in terms of character placement and importance. I wouldn't switch it up too much. That being said, like Revelations, there is only so much you can do because the story itself is abysmal.

For Awakening, it would have been nice to follow Lucina and the rest of the 2nd gen during their travels in the present (past?). One of my pet peeves is how no one besides Lucina does a thing to try and regroup and/or prevent the bad future from happening, so that would need to change. But I digress. I think Virion deserves the spot as protagonist. The fall of Rosanne, his self-imposed exile. No lord has his personality, it would be very amusing to play as someone who acts the fool and is a total womanizer. But Virion has layers! He has cunning and what appears to be a hidden ruthless streak (which I think would come out under duress). He actually manipulates a lot of people while leaving them none the wiser. Probably my top pick if I had to choose one game with a different lord. 

Edited by Slyfox

Hidden fourth Fates route from Azama's perspective, where he literally does nothing and watches both kingdoms and the entire world go to hell.

Cutting Corrin from Fates and replacing him would probably improve the story a little, so my picks would probably be:

Takumi: His brash and headstrong attitude would get him in a LOT of trouble, which would lead to some great story moments and heaps of character development. Also, if he ended up with the Yato, we'd have a Bow Knight lord, which would be absolutely amazing.

Gunter: A weird choice, I know, but seeing a full on revenge story of him plotting to kill Garon would be great. Besides, I always thought he should have returned in Birthright and fulfilled his revenge arc in the game where you actually directly oppose Garon. His search for new allies would open up the way for some world building, which is something Fates desperately needs, and having his views of nobility challenged if/when he allies with one of the royal groups would amount to more character development than Corrin got in the whole story. Either have them confronted and directly changed by having him work with the Birthright cast, by having him defect to Hoshido and slowly win over their trust and aid, or have them reinforced by making him help the corrupt (in this universe) Nohrian royals assassinate their dad, watch them gain absolute power and have Gunter reflect on his mistakes as he attempts to undo the mess he's caused.

(I'm not a writer, so that could be an even bigger mess than Fates' original story, but IDK.)

In Awakening, I only really have one choice for an alternate lord, which would be Lissa. Lissa, to me, comes across as almost bratty (in a good way, though), and I think that placing her at the centre of Awakening's story would do a lot to develop her, plus it would be a lot more profound than Chrom's story, considering her starting point. Forcing her to develop and mature throughout the course of the game, struggle with what she sees as her shortcomings, eventually mature and grow into the role of a princess that she's worried she doesn't fill... Plus, it would be nice to have a more dynamic lord, for a change.

Edited by Anathaco
Typo, oops

5 hours ago, Slyfox said:

Shadows of Valentia has a great cast that I think is mostly fine in terms of character placement and importance. I wouldn't switch it up too much. That being said, like Revelations, there is only so much you can do because the story itself is abysmal.

>sees this

*pulls shotgun*

12 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

>sees this

*pulls shotgun*

What can I say? 8/10 for the cast.

The remainder of those points leave us with 2/10 for story. Now where is my shrug emoticon?!

*Proudly wears Baron-class armor, making me practically impervious to any physical damage the shotgun may cause*

i kinda hate to say this because I love roy, but lilina. Lilina is probably my favorite fire emblem character. she's a well written magical girl who's kind and well mannered who you can't help but like. as the heir of Lycia I feel like she actually bears more importance than roy. I wish there was a mage fighter class in fe6 that let her wield the Durandal lol

• 2 weeks later...

Xander and Ryoma should've just been main characters tbh. You don't get to use them until too late in the game imo. Same goes for Azura too. But specifically Xander is the best in my eyes.

On 5/21/2019 at 4:42 AM, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

I completely agree with this. Hardin would have been a much better villain if we actually had seen more of him as Marth's companion as he was made out to be but sadly probably because of permadeath and them not wanting to have people retreating like they do now with key story characters, Nyna (and also Malledus I suppose) had to take that roll.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:00 AM, Etheus said:

No one in Shadow Dragon has much character, to be clear. But Minerva has the best arc. And she would have fit in well as a main lord. Plus, how cool would Hauteclaire have been as the iconic first legendary weapon? And how cool would Minerva have been as a Smash Bros and other crossover mascot?

I mean, yeah this is true, but Marth has a decent bit of development if you really look into it. He develops from a young grief stricken boy who lost his family and home, who completely sees the world in black and white and wants nothing but revenge against the people who wronged him. However as he joins the war, he realises there are more people than him and as a prince, he has to make personal sacrifices for his people, which is where the line 'I am a prince before I am a son or brother' comes into play, which he says after retaking Altea and discovering his mother was murdered and his sister was kidnapped by Gharnef. And despite this and Nyna telling him he should mourn, he still decides to go to his people as they are more important. Yeah it's a rather typical hero's journey but that is most FE lords tbh.

Marth is blandest out of SD imo because that's where he is shown to the rather 1 dimensional 'I love my friends and I will let no one die!' (which is a contradiction to the prologue where it is established Marth learns in war there is sacrifice and not everyone can survive the war). Don't even get me started on New Mystery Marth and how bad he is (mainly because of Kris).

I do also agree though, Minerva would make a stellar lord and seeing her story from he perspective would be cool.