What kind of Fire Emblem player are you?

Tangerine

What kind of FE player are you?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Veteran? Do you love you some Hard Modes? Or do you prefer to chill out in NM most of the time?

• I always choose one of the harder modes if I can.
    • I'd rather player on an easier difficulty than deal with HM frustrations.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly HM, with exceptions to 6/10 and to a lesser extent 11.

EDIT: I'll clarify with reasons!

6: HM's earlygame is just too dodgy and I don't know the game well enough to just truck through it like a trooper so I just say fuck it.

10: HM makes too many changes that I'm just not fond of (not talking about harder enemies; weapon triangle, battle save and enemy range) for me to care. Unlike 6, I've done it.

11: FAKE DIFFICULTY, HO! It's to a lesser extent because I still enjoy it to a degree unlike 10.

Edited by Integrity

I pick the harder modes these days because if it's too easy, it's boring.

If a hard mode is giving me grief, I sometimes play an easier mode simultaneously to help me relax. I never abandon a hard mode game though.

Edited by Sagekitty

I tend to start off with either the medium difficulty, or if there's an option (SD), one star up. I want LESS frustration in my gaming life, not more.

This HAS changed over time, though. When I first started playing FE in my early 20s, I was a hard mode freak. This change has also manifested itself in other games I play.

Normal modes.

While I don't appreciate dealing with hard mode frustration, easy modes (like FE10's, or FE12's normal) just feel somewhat insulting to me.

I usually start at easy and lol my way through. Then I go to normal and figure out the game. Then I try hard. Then I get angry and rage quit and go to a different FE until I've rage quit all of the games a million times. Then I put it away for awhile. Then I come back with a vengeance and try again. So far, of the three games I own, I'm half way through RD HM, I've beaten Eirika's HM and am currently doing Ephraim's HM for the first time through a draft. I just got Blazing Sword, but I have a ENM and a HHM file right now.

I like normal mode so I can use whoever I want and don't have to rage quit all of the time. If I allow myself to tower abuse and use Seth, I'd definitely play FE8 HM all of the time, but I don't...

I mostly stick to normal mode. I usually start with normal difficulty on any game I play before moving on to hard mode, but I hardly ever have enough interest to go beyond the first playthrough in the case of Fire Emblem.

With the exception of 10 (if I ever get the chance...might play once, just to prove I can), Maniac of 9 (purely due to JPN-only), Maniac and Lunatic of 12 (intend to try Lunatic once, but H1 is my preferred) and H4-5 (given that bows-only H2 seems simple enough, H3 should be doable) and HHM, I'll take the hardest available.

I always take easy mode if possible, normal if not. I never do the harder difficulties, I just have no desire to do it. It slows down the process of beating the game even more, and most of my enjoyment is derived from the characters/watching the action, so it's less of a tactical enjoyment. So a harder difficulty doesn't help me any really.

Depends more on the game. Like FE8 is still fun in hard mode while being challenging if you try going through it quick, but FE6 is not. FE6 isn't hard, just the whole acc thing is a mess in that game, and it's frustrating to know you only got boned by dice rolls as you have a bigger chance than most other FEs to get screwed that way when you're playing through. Forcing resets is not fun. That's sort of why I don't like FE12 on Lunatic, cause the requirements just to be able to play the maps is way too strict (and shows why Speed is a ridiculously dumb stat when you're forced to have really high speed just to not get your ass torn apart). You feel so restricted, and that's another way one can kill fun.

But for the most part, I tend to play hard mode. But I don't play hard mode in a hard fashion all the time, somtimes I like to just take it nice and easy. Though at times I like to challenge myself and try to low turn with low tier units or gimmicks.

FE6 Armors forever.

When i first start a game, I usually play on Normal difficulty just to test the waters, then once I've had enough experience, I then move on to Hard Mode. I've done this for just about every game with a difficulty setter. After I get the feel of Hard Mode, I try to beat it with a low turncount in mind.

The only exceptions are Radiant Dawn and Shadow Dragon. FE10 has a lot of fake difficulty that really isn't needed(I can understand removing battle saves, but did they really have to remove the WT and enemy selection as well?), and I can barely get past the first chapter on Merciless. And I'm not even getting started on Lunatic. Haven't played the game yet and DeSuMee is a dick and slows the game to near unplayability.

Hard mode tends to piss me off. Mostly because I have to do extra planning and I just wanna play the game.

I actually enjoy playing Easy mode in FE9 and 10 since I can just take it easy and enjoy the game.

I usually try Hard mode after beating the game normally. I usually stop playing Hard mode after a while since I don't find them very fun or challenging.

H5 mode in FE11 in particular I find to be extra boring and lame.

I never play for turn counts or place restrictions on myself. I always use who I want unless I feel like using someone else.

Edited by Ein Silver Rose

Depends on the game I usually play on normal mode and try the highest difficulty level once or more if I like it.

FE6: Normal some chapters in hard (Chapter 8) irritates me though its great the enemy stats are high.

FE7: Hard sometimes normal.

FE8: Hard

FE9: Hard, normal wasn't very difficult nor was I satisfied with it.

FE10: Normal, sometimes I play hard.

FE11: H3 since it's like in between IMO.

FE12: Usually H1 (hard) or sometimes H2 (maniac) I already tried and finished Lunatic, might try reverse with normal characters instead of generics next time I play.

Edited by Generic Officer