[FE4] Rate the Unit VI

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking

Sigurd: 9.96

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Ardan: 1.39

Lex: 8.83

DAY 6: AZEL

___

Azel. Where do I start with Azel? He has awesome Speed and Magic and has Pursuit, but he gets weighed down so horribly because yay FE4 Magic.

But Azel has Minor Fala and is a pretty good father for the magic kids. He's one of the best fathers for Arthur and isn't bad for Delmud.

He also promotes to one of the sexiest classes ever, FE4!Mageknight.

He's decent, has a bad start because of not having a horse, but he is a force to be reckoned with once he promotes.

6/10

Edited by Octavian

He's kinda bad because he's stuck with the heavy Fire tome he starts with, killing his evasion. Still, his offence is reasonable in the first few chapters due to axe land.

However, his movement is terrible until promotion, and when he promotes, he's still very frail.

3/10

He's only really a viable husband for Tiltyu IMO.

Edited by General Horace

He's kinda bad because he's stuck with the heavy Fire tome he starts with, killing his evasion. Still, his offence is reasonable in the first few chapters due to axe land.

However, his movement is terrible until promotion, and when he promotes, he's still very frail.

3/10

I'm generous, huh?

He's really only good for Tiltyu and possibly Lachesis. He's Arthur's second/third best dad (depends on what you think about Lex!Arthur) and he's not horrible for Delmud and Nanna. He gives them better usage of Magic Swords at the least.

He's really only good for Tiltyu and possibly Lachesis. He's Arthur's second/third best dad (depends on what you think about Lex!Arthur) and he's not horrible for Delmud and Nanna. He gives them better usage of Magic Swords at the least.

I think he's a more fun dad for Delmud and Nanna than the good dads. Not that I'm saying he's better, just more fun.

Okay offense, made of paper, shitty move.

Horse after promo is nice, but getting there's the problem. Especially since Fire weighs waaaay too much and Thunder doesn't even come until ...when does Thunder come again? So his arena performance isn't even that great as he dies too easily.

Makes decent dad for magic units I guess and pursuit is nice.

3/10.

5/10

He is a good father for some units, eg Arthur. However, I find it often tedious and annoying to train him since he lags behind due to lack of a horse. After he promotes he is better, but by that point the whole rest of your team will already be promoted (at least those units that you used).

Edited by Bee

Fair enough.

Like most people said he starts with crap movement until he changes his class. So, some care is needed if you want him to not get passed up by the other characters. However, he is good for first time players seeing how he make a good pairing for Tiltyu since both her kids use magic. He also not a bad choice for Fee. Not to mention having holy blood is always helpful. Also gives bonuses and gifts if you choose to get them. If you can get passed his bad movement in the opening he's a good unit.

Edited by Guy Starwind

5/10. He's good when he promotes, but oh lawdy getting him to promote. Gives his girlfriend a cool staff if paired with Aideen, although it only really shines in Gen 2 when promoted Leaf uses it. Otherwise he's... pretty okay, I guess.

Fair enough.

Like most people said he starts with crap movement until he changes his class. So, some care is needed if you want him to not get passed up by the other characters. However, he is good for first time players seeing how he make a good pairing for Tiltyu since both her kids use magic. He also not a bad choice for Fee. Not to mention having holy blood is always helpful. Also gives bonuses and gifts if you choose to get them. If you can get passed his bad movement in the opening he's a good unit.

Good enough. Thanks!

7/10 he is a pretty kick ass dad for nanna and delmud and Artur and tinny. He's terrible before promotion but pretty good after . After promtion he gets a mount and the promtion giains he gets are pretty good not as fantasic as , mage fighters or female master knights but still really good. plus one because he is my 2nd favorite magic user in the entire series.

Especially since Fire weighs waaaay too much and Thunder doesn't even come until ...when does Thunder come again?

Chapter 2. Wind takes until Chapter 4.

Anyway. Azel gets 3/10. Promoting to pony is amazing, but it's probably only happening late in the Gen, and there's no outstanding contributions he will start making that couldn't be made by someone else. Worse, Dark Mages in the Arena basically stop him in his tracks, and he struggles badly against swordfighters etc. and required very specific magic-blessings to pass by rigging something like 2 misses at 85% in Ch1 (70% in Ch2). I'm not sure there is any reasonable chance for him to clear the Forrest at the end of Ch2 (something like requiring six misses at 60% and having all four of his hits at 70% to connect... or similarly outrageous), but I may have forgotten something.

Not a bad father, but generally outcompeted. I'm a personal fan of Azel x Aideen, but if you're neutering Lester it is objectively worse than Claude x Aideen in terms of inherited Rescue, and there's not that much to be saved in Ch4 by itself, IIRC. I guess Master-Knight Lachesis can grab Sigurd after he seizes Silesia so you can acquire Holsety, and rescue-spamming Dew up to the bridge gets him there faster than walking, but you also have to remember you may be pressed for turns on pairings, depending on how fast you're going. If subs are unacceptable, there's only so much benefit to shaving turns, if you need to spam "end" in Ch5 anyway.

His other main choices in women have already been discussed, and I'm not sure I have anything new to add.

Summary. Azel takes a net influx of resources, and provides no significant return for expended effort, rending him a definite <5. However, he definitely has a leg up on Ardan... and that's about it. I could see arguements both ways comparing him and Tiltyu, but barring her, I don't think there is anyone else that is legitimately worse than him.

Magic is nice in a game with literally no resistance. However, his move means he's not going to keep up with the frontline and fire magic is so heavy it means that he's not going to double a good number of enemies. This is relieved when gets Thunder and Wind but it's pretty late. Promotion is manly, but isn't happening until chapter 4 or 5.

As a father, he's not great. Tiltyu likes his magic and pursuit, Lachesis can put up with him. However, he creates a Sety which is on par with Hawk and Fee is arguably at her worst, having no strength and only half of Azel's speed. He cripples Lester, and doesn't even let Lana inherit the Rescue Staff. Sylvia doesn't really care who's she's with and Ayra and Briggid won't touch him with a bargepole.

Once he gets rolling, he's not too bad. It's just that it's a little too late and he doesn't offer much to anyone not called Tiltyu. Before we go into the Magic Swords argument, the Forrest Knight cap is 18, he'll be doing more damage with Silvers. Nanna might get 10 more magic, but it's up to the player whether it's worth it.

3/10.

6.5/10

Perhaps this is a bit biased since Azel is my favorite unit in gen 1 aside from furry.

Azel has a lot to boast for, but he has a lot of downsides as well. When he comes his offence is second only to Sigurd and he has the speed and magic growth to keep his offence up. He also gains a pony after promotion and it a pretty good dad.

The bad parts are his horrible move before promotion, his defense and fire magic. He'll still double's almost any non-boss characters, but his avoid is taking a pretty big hit.

Azel kinda sucks. When he joins he 1RKOs the weak enemies and gets 2HKOd. The second point doesn't change for most of the game, and the first one changes pretty soon. His speed is nice enough that he can usually double (then again, so can everyone) despite Fire's massive weight. He makes good mage babies, and can pass down swords to kids. And he has pursuit. Woohoo. He promotes to a weakish class (If he gets there), but hey, at least he can get a mount eventually. 4/10

Despite the fact that Azel's a pretty cool guy and one of my more favorite G1 units, he's really not a great one.

I'll invoke my PLUS ONE BIAS right and give him a 5.5.

He's very balanced in a vacuum. Amazing offense with terrible durability at first, with the durability getting better over time. Terrible move that turns good after promo, and perpetual 1-2 range. But the only vacuum worth considering in FE4 is the enemy density vacuum that stops Azel from promoting at all if not given 10 Kilomias of favouritism.

3/10