Rate the Unit, Day 14: Joshua

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Integrity and Integrity again or sometegrity else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route they're best on. If I see "1/10 doesn't exist on ephraim" for Innes your vote won't be counted. If I don't like you enough, I'll throw it out if that reasoning is anywhere there.

Average Ratings

Neimi: 2.24

Gilliam: 3.27

Ross: 4.33

Lute: 4.80

Natasha: 6.27

Colm: 6.32

Garcia: 6.88

Moulder: 6.89

Artur: 6.92

Eirika: 7.34

Vanessa: 8.16

Franz: 9.32

Seth: 9.91

lute became a 4.8 after the retally

natasha's score disappoints me; she should have outscored moulder

Now, I let a few slide last time that I might not have, but for the love of fuck I don't want to see anything like

but directly competes with Moulder for a slot and

If your rating contains something comparable to this (horace, you were skirting the edge of it too) I'm going to throw it out. This clearly falls under the "not X" rule. If, somehow, people are confused I'll edit it for even more clarity.

Comparing two comparable units is perfectly fine:

Joins later than Moulder with lower staff rank. Is far more a traditional mage than Moulder. I'd give Moulder about a 6/10 so Natasha will have to do with a 5/10

because you're not assuming Natasha competes for Moulder's slot. They exist individually.

Let's see...

He get to support Natasha, has that WTF-worthy offense with the KE, but becomes meh without the KE. Anyways, he's still worth the use especially once he promotes.

It's funny to watch him slice through crowds of enemies while dodging at the same time (provided he has supported with Natasha and Gerik, considering they boost his evasion), although being sword-locked is sadfais.

My verdict?

8.5, he gets the extra +1 for the KE, and +0.5 for a good support pool (He'll definitely want the extra avoid and defenses if you want survivability), despite being one that boost CRIT and one that boosts AVO/DEF are both slow as slugs (I am looking at you L'Arachel and Innes!).

P.S I also forgot about his hat, for aesthetic reasons... Silly me.

Edited by Le Ultimate Failure

Let's see:

- He's a growth unit (huge negative there)

- He's sword locked

- He has no flying mount or even a horse

- He can't use staves

- He can't provide any other utility

Sounds like a recipe for a terrible unit. The only reason I'd waste time recruiting him is for his killing edge.

3/10

Joshua's combat is pretty good.

For a myrmidon.

Unfortunately, his skill and speed are overkill against most non-boss enemies. His strength is pretty good, but he can't take a hit. Overall, he doesn't do anything special. And swordlock is another bad point.

Incidentally, he's actually a prince, (*swoons*), but he has basically no plot importance outside of ch. 15. He should have taken a leaf from Levin's book (of Holsety) and made Audhulma Prf.

I rate him a :Joshua: :Joshua: :Joshua: :Joshua: out of 10. Bias brings that to.

:Joshua: :Joshua: :Joshua: :Joshua: :Joshua:

Edited by Baldrick

Let's see...

He get to support Natasha, has that WTF-worthy offense with the KE, but becomes meh without the KE. Anyways, he's still worth the use especially once he promotes.

It's funny to watch him slice through crowds of enemies while dodging at the same time (provided he has supported with Natasha and Gerik, considering they boost his evasion), although being sword-locked is sadfais.

My verdict?

8.5, he gets the extra +1 for the KE, and +0.5 for a good support pool (He'll definitely want the extra avoid and defenses if you want survivability), despite being one that boost CRIT is slow as slugs (I am looking at you L'Arachel!).

I agree with this, but I consider all of this worthy if a 6, not an 9. Because add to it Swordock and only decent offense to compensate, not stellar offense.

But I love that hat, and for the first time, use my ability of bias, so 7/10, for me.

I made good time to school today so I'm going to break my mold of voting last and just type this out.

Joshua isn't very good. He's just *okay* - except that he's just *okay* but without abundant effective weaponry, 2-range, a pony, or a whole lot of other things. Add to that the fact that he doesn't get any bias points from me and we're left with

4/10

4/10

So I used to love Joshua because swordmasters have the fucking coolest animation ever with myrmidons closely behind (and how cool is the word "Myrmidon" anyways? Don't know what the fuck it means, but I like it). Unfortunately, recently I've come to feel somewhat indifferent towards him. There are a lot of lance users in the later maps, and he doesn't have a "Get Out Of Jail" free card like Eirika. Also, while it behooves you to level up Eirika and make her survieable, there's nothing incredibly special that only Joshua can do at higher levels that someone like Gerik can't do better.

Also he doesn't have a horse. Or any other weapons.

Decent at killing things. Swordlock sucks, though, and he doesn't have a horse. Still, his bases are at least decent and he'll alway double everything. Hero Crest is in tight competition, too.

He's not bad at doing what he's supposed to be doing, just kinda really outclassed.

This is when I abuse my bias privileges and give him an extra point because he's hawt.

5+1=6/10.

(and how cool is the word "Myrmidon" anyways? Don't know what the fuck it means, but I like it).

It's a reference to the Iliad, where Myrmidons were Achilles's army.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

"Okay" is a good way to describe him. He's got good offense, good supports to shore up his defense (in fact, pretty much all his supports boost his defense), but he's a slow-moving growth unit in a game where you can have one of the most pound-for-pound dominating cavalry offensives in the FE series (maybe tied with FE9, maybe beaten by it, but still). If you do that, it's hard for him to keep up. If you use him and do level him properly, he still has the usual Swordmaster issues, including lowish defenses and no 2-range option. Still, he has good STR for the caps he's got, has no SKL/SPD issues, and can support a number of Ice units to bulk up, so he could be a hell of a lot worse.

Also he can become an Assassin, but he shouldn't.

6.5/10. I'd rate him a lot higher with better mobility or more offensive support options, but I do want to note that his durability is not nearly as bad as you'd figure for his class given that he has a bunch of solid defensive supports, including an actually plausible one with Natasha and a pair of +3s with Marisa and Gerik. You probably won't use all of these units, but if you're using Joshua you're most likely using one of them, and he happens to be Natasha's fastest support and one of Marisa's fastest as well. Gerik probably doesn't want him though, but he could still use him, so that's something at least.

I'll give him a 6.5. Swordlock sucks, but he's still not bad at killing stuff, and IMO, he's a solid candidate for the Hero Crest.

And once again, I'll use bias to add a point, leaving him with a 7.5 for my final score.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I like him, and he does have rather OK-ish stats for his level. Kinda needs the KE to really do anything at first, and he's honestly so-so, but he becomes a goddamn swordmaster. AND my name's Joshua.

6.5/10

6.75/10

+Strong early-game

+High speed means he doubles for the entire game (even against those pesky Mryms and Mercs)

+Access to a promotion as early as Ch. 10 on Ephraim route (no competition since Ross blows and Garcia is bad at this point)

+Good Con

-Swordlock

-Average move

Edited by Mage Lord

8.5/10

Joshua is one of my favorite units he dodges he criticals like hell and even when he doesn't he does quite a lot of damage. The defensive stats are low though.

Sweordmaster Joshua ftw! Also sword lock is not much of a problem to me seeing as he kills things like soldiers before it get's too dangerous.

Swordlock in FE8 sucks.

But he is pretty cool and has a KE. He also promotes to my favorite class which helps his case.

He also has nearly unlimited Shamshir access because he really only competes with Eirika and Assassin!Colm (lolmarisa). He also can get full crit with L'Arachel/Gerik Support (lolmarisa)

But he is a growth unit which hurts in efficiency. However, he's not horrible and can use Audhulma very, very well.

did i forget to mention lolmarisa?

7/10 (6 +1 for personal bias)

All of this +/- points based on bias makes me want to eat my hat. And I lost my hat. That's how much it makes me want to eat my lost hat.

Joshua attacks stuff and tends to die quickly like any typical sword user. I give him a 4/10. He's meh at best, swords, and lacks a mount.

First off, I disagree with you Integ about the Natasha getting a worse score than Moulder since she competes for a deployment slot. It's true, and they already have tough guiding ring competition, and Moulder is reaching level 10 quicker, and Natasha has no real advantages other than luck until they have reached a level that they will never realistically reach unless you torchspam in skirmishes or something.

anyway

Joshua actually has some solid bases, 8 strength and 14 speed is actually pretty good for a GBA myrmidon. Unfourtunatly, his strength growth is still lowish and is still swordlocked and he has no buisness promoting when his competition is Gerik and Garcia

3.5/10

In my head, I know Natasha doesn't have any particular lead on Moulder.

It's in my heart, Horace, that I am disappointed.

EDIT: As for deployment slot competition, if we go for that we're moving towards efficient deployment and I don't like that so nyeh go make your own rankings :p

That's why "not deployed because moulder" is disallowed.

Edited by Integrity

In my head, I know Natasha doesn't have any particular lead on Moulder.

It's in my heart, Horace, that I am disappointed.

EDIT: As for deployment slot competition, if we go for that we're moving towards efficient deployment and I don't like that so nyeh go make your own rankings :p

That's why "not deployed because moulder" is disallowed.

I only gave Moulder one more point than Natasha anyway, which is for avaliability, level lead, and staff rank, and I did (poorly) say that if Moulder wasn't used, Natasha functions fine in his shoes as well in both of their ratings. Ironically, I said "better than natasha" in Moulder's rating and "worse than moulder" in Natasha's rating.

and if I cared about efficient deployment, I wouldn't field both tbh, but i'm (for the most part) throwing them out the window for these ratings.