[FE4] Rate the Unit X

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking

Sigurd: 9.96

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Ardan: 1.39

Lex: 8.83

Azel: 4.63

Cuan: 8.41

Ethlin: 9.15

Fin (First Generation): 7.88

DAY 10: MIDIR

____

He gets criticaled by Gandolf when Gandolf couldn't even critical him normally. I call bullshit.

Midir has bowlock, so enemy phase doesn't exist. Cool.

He's got Pursuit. And he's on a horse. That's his only redeeming factor.

He's a decent father for Lester because he gives Lester Pursuit and passes down bows, but Jamka can pass down Charge and Continue, a Killer Bow, and a Hero Bow. That's better in my eyes.

-1 because I don't like him.

2.5/10

I feel Midir's kinda always underrated. Poor Midir.

Sure, his stats are pretty mediocre, but he does have pursuit and he can shoot things at two range. This is nice considering javelins are in limited supply and are kinda heavy. Horse is nice, too. I've never really had an issue with him---actually since the bow arena is easier, he can often get through the arena with ease--moreso than Alec and Noish without the Hero Sword, anyway. If paired with Aideen, he can get Hero Bow. In a chapter full of Pegasi. That is pretty nice. I think he had some other skill---//checks SF// right, Charge. So he can shoot people more. And with Canto, you can always let him get behind someone like Sigurd in formation and then if it's a bunch of ranged enemies he might actually get some EP phase.

Obviously his EP isn't the best and his stats are only mediocre, but they're workable. 6+1=7/10 because I like this guy.

Edit: giving him 1 more point since people pointed out that EP isn't all that much of an issue in FE4, which...well, I haven't played FE4 in a while so I kinda forgot. :P

He's a decent father for Lester because he gives Lester Pursuit and passes down bows, but Jamka can pass down Charge and Continue, a Killer Bow, and a Hero Bow. That's better in my eyes.

Pursuit+Charge>Charge+Continue, 's far as skills go. Continue's a % activation. Pursuit is ALWAYS given self AS>opponent AS. Midir also nets you Hero Bow and can pass down Killer Bow if you sell it to him, so I don't see what Jamka has that' really winning besides, like, STR. Hitting twice consistently instead of relying on % activations makes up for the less str anyway. And if you argue pursuit ring, that is too valuable and debated to just be shoved on to Lester.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Hm

Midayle is pretty decent. She can grab Jamka's killer bow and has some very solid offence with it, and has a mount on top of that. Unfourtunately, she has no EP, so i'll give her a 6.5

yes I thought Midayle was a girl the first time I played FE4, so I tried to pair him with Noish

Bow users are way better in this game than they have any right to be because the enemy AI is stupid and will constantly meet them at ~2 range if possible instead of doing something smart. This makes Midir slightly more useful than normal, although he doesn't become awesome until you get the Hero Bow (or the Killer Bow if you got Jamka). 6/10.

Midayle sucks and I hate him. -2636282/10

[spoiler=Fine. I can be somewhat mature.]

Midayle has pursuit, and a horse, and not so good stats throughout his entire gametime. However he can have a steel bow and later on a silver, a killer or a hero if you so desire. Personally I don't like giving Midayle a killer bow because of FE4s limited inventory, and it cripples Jamka. Also the enemy AI is idiotic and loves to attack at 2 range so he has enemy phase.

4.5/10 - 1 because I still hate him.

3.5/10

Edited by Knuckles

He's a pretty average unit, all told. A reliable chipper and player phase fighter with some later access to great bows (he shares with Jamka, but he's got a horse, so that is a point in his favor). Decent skills to pass down, if not a whole lot else, but if he passes down the Killer + Hero then Lester is pretty much good to go. He also has a so-so player phase due to weird FE4 AI that likes to have Hand Axers attack him at 2-range and have mages attack Shanan at 1-range.

6/10. I should probably remember the rating.

Edited by Renall

He's bow locked in a game where canto is broken! However, his stats are decent enough for him to getting rolling with some nice kit. He really wants the Hero or Killer Bow to fight well. He pairs well with Edain and arguably Briggid. An added bonus is that he's the quickest pairing for Briggid. His kids will always end up similar to Beo's, but he can't pass down swords.

5/10, he's mounted and can provide some needed chip. However, he struggles against mages and armoured enemies. On the plus side he's a nice guy.!

I like him, he's a more than competent fighter, and he's around approximately forever. Bowlock is meh, but it doesn't cripple him like it would in some games.

I'm gonna go ahead with a 6.5/10 for cantochip forever with occasional random Charge 1RKOs.

"No enemy phase" is not as big a deal in FE4 considering Midir's getting deployed regardless. He's not slow, so he won't fall behind and be useless, so there's no reason he shouldn't be out there softening things for Cuan, picking off guys that somehow didn't die, or whatever. With the Killer Bow that role is filled quite reliably thanks to its WTF accuracy. And once he has the Hero Bow he's basically guaranteeing a Player Phase kill every round, and any mofo dumb enough to target him at 2-range is dead.

Seriously people let's not undersell the awesomeness of the special bows here. Killer comes in Chapter 1 with Jamka, so he and Midir are rocking a weapon with the Mt and Wt of the Sigurd Sword yet with 20 more Hit and immediate free Critical at range. That's goddamn incredible, and while Midir's STR growth is nowhere near Jamka's, it's still decent (and he barely needs it, because 14 Mt 3 Wt 100 Hit free Critical). And the Hero Bow is a Hero weapon. And Midir is guaranteed to hit at least twice with the Killer and four times with the Hero, because he's got Pursuit and Charge. Jamka will use them better, sure, but they can share (especially once the Hero and Killer are both in play), and Midir's actually going to be in the thick of things wherever the thick of things happens to be thanks to his horse. So in spite of his lower stats, he's likely to get the nod for actually employing them as he'll have more opportunities.

It's just kind of his average stats that make him average to slightly better than average. But a lot of what makes Archers problematic in other FE games doesn't apply to him.

Jamka and later Brigid are better at murdering things with their starting equipment, stats, and/or skills, but you get Midir for longer and he gets to fight with your main force with his huge move. He's still worse than every other mounted unit this side of Noishe (without the pursuit ring), but he's making a positive contribution.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

He's one of your best ranged weapon users for Gen 1 due to his high move and Re-move(which even given the AI's tendenacy to attack him at 2 range lets him keep out of range of grouped enemies anyway). despite his average stats once he gets access to the Killer Bow or Hero Bow he becomes significantly better since he's not eating counters like Alec or Noish and is looking at very frequent pursuit activations and has Charge and Critical(via Killer Bow) which allows for some ORKO's.

6.5/10

I am hovering around, and a little unsure of quite where I want to put him, but I think I will settle on 6/10.

Midir clearly gets the Killer Bow for all of Ch2, because Jamka's stats are bad-ass enough he can survive on Steel, easy, and the Killer bow is like a personalized Speed Ring + Skill Ring + Crit Ring that needs to be up there in the action, softening Barons with their wtf defense and bullshit Great Shield. Wonky enemy AI already has been discussed, meaning combined with free deployment as long as you want him, his bow-lock is probably the among the best cases of bow-lock in the entire series.

The only reason his score is so low is because his stats are subpar, and he misses out on a lot of kills unless he manages to crit or charge, and the activation rate on those are not so hot. He's probably not a terrible candidate for picking up the Prologue Speed Ring, as that helps him out until the Killer arrives, but you'll probably sell it to someone else after. Killer Bow is also expensive meaning repairing it eats into his Elite Ring slush fund, and not using it means not clearing the Arena, so that's a double-edged sword for him, and another reason he likes that Ring.

His skills as a parent are actually really good with Citizen Pursuit (opposed to Jamka's Soldier Pursuit) and Charge, but only Lester wants his item inheritance, though I suppose chumps like Patty and Corple could care less what their daddy passes down, or he could always pull a Lex and kill one of those sword-carrying bosses. So there's pretty good flexibility there, actually. However his growths aren't the hottest, and he doesn't have holy blood, so...

Maybe I should double-check the ratings I gave to Noish/Alec to be sure how much lower than them he actually deserves, but I think the 6 is probably reasonable.