[FE4] Rate the Unit XI

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking (Least to Greatest)

Ardan: 1.39

Azel: 4.63

Midir: 5.47

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Fin (First Generation): 7.88

Cuan: 8.41

Lex: 8.83

Ethlin: 9.15

Sigurd: 9.96

DAY 11: AYRA

___

Ayra doesn't have a horse. Damn. Because if she did all hell would break loose and she'd probably be one of the best units in Gen 1.

Sadly she isn't on a horse which hurts her score.

Ayra, however, has Meteor Sword and Pursuit (Nihil really doesn't do anything good for her). She also has a fuckton of Speed. She also has Minor Odo which buffs her Skill. Since Meteor Sword activates with Skill% this helps increase her chances of activating it more.

Ayra also gets the superior Hero Sword in C3. Now, Sigurd probably wants it more, but Ayra can do wonders with it as well. She's also a terrific mother and can go with either Holyn or Lex for crazy swordtwin shenangians.

She lacks in defense greatly, however, and not having a mount of sorts sucks testicles.

Nonethelss I love Ayra and will give her +1 because she rocks my socks (and Skasaher <3)

8/10 including bias.

Damnit I wanted Aideen sooner not later. ;/

Ayra is cool, and Astra is broken as fuck. She gets a Hero Sword that chances are she won't keep, but she does fine with a steel blade or a silver sword. Her dodge is awesome, and she almost always hits. And she's sexy.

But she has no horse or defense.

7.5/10 with bias in it already.

Ayra is pretty awesome, and she's like the best of the Myrmidon archetype. I kinda doubt she deserves this, but she and her children are so useful when they do manage to get into the battlelines, so....

8/10.

Edited by Refa

I'm going with 8/10

Honesty not having a horse doesn't bother me. She is very useful especially with the hero sword and her kids are always good. Meteor is op too. Only thing wrong with her is she has bad magic defense and she's a pain to recruit.

She's fine at fighting. Better than fine, really. Spectacular. Her defenses aren't great, but her Avoid is pretty damn good when she's favorably set up.

She's also a good mother who produces two good fighters who are pretty much impossible to screw up. Hell, the worst pairing I can think up, Claude, still gives you two Pursuit-using kids with acceptable SPD and SKL and 100%+ HP growth. That said, neither of them has horses either... man, someone should make a hack where Skasaha is a Free Knight or something. Although then he couldn't use his mom's skill. :(

Also, she doesn't have a horse.

7.5/10. The -2.5 is solely for the horse. It matters. A horseless unit has to be pretty damn amazing to get better than a 5. Ayra is... when she has the opportunity.

She's good at killing and all that, but this is a game with large groups of enemies and you gotta be able to take counters. In that regard she's really not very good, especially if the enemy is wielding something other than an axe. On top of that she's stuck on foot with your B team, and my B team usually only gets the table scraps that are left over after the main battle is won. It's at least easy enough to pair her up with Holyn, which is good for her kids.

Part of me feels like that's way too harsh, but I don't know. People like Noishe, Alec, Fin, and Midir are getting way more action than Ayra. Holyn stays alive longer. Levin at least doesn't take counters and eventually gets equally overkill offense. She's really only better than people who are a liability to use. If 5 is the midpoint between being a contribution and a liability, then I can't offer her a much higher score than that.

She can kill stuff pretty well, but her durability sucks, and her low luck affects her avoid more than you think. She's left behind big time due to her movement.

3/10

Edited by General Horace

Nice damage output but she's a little fragile. Horses mean everything in FE4 but she's useful for fighting off side armies. Horace is right about her luck, something which means her avoid will never be as good as Dew's could be.

6/10 - For a foot unit, she's one of the best, but it limits how useful she is. Bonus points for her Ardan convo and the Hero Sword!

I'm going with 8/10

Honesty not having a horse doesn't bother me. She is very useful especially with the hero sword and her kids are always good. Meteor is op too. Only thing wrong with her is she has bad magic defense and she's a pain to recruit.

If that's your biggest flaw with her, I'd personally say give her a 9/10, because she's worth recruiting even if you're not using her for that there Hero Sword.

As for Dew, I was under the impression he wouldn't be useful until Chapter 3, right, if you let him tank the Cross Knights which would give him enough EXP for promotion (assuming you've been using him a lot beforehand)? He may be better than her when properly leveled, but that's kinda hard to do, has more investment for less of a reward because none of Dew's children will ever be as awesome as him.

Edited by Refa

3/10

Overkill offense with bad durability and movement on FE4's enormous maps. A candidate for most overrated FE unit of all time. There is just nothing she can do that your mounted units can't get done sooner, and you get a LOT of those. In addition everything more powerful than an Iron Sword 2HKOs her, and dodging in FE4 is pretty unreliable, and she's hard to position properly after attacking since she has no canto. Resources she can take to improve this are much better used on people with mounts since they get into combat more often, meaning you get more mileage out of them.

Also the Hero Sword is not her Prf weapon.

Edited by Mekkah

She can still access Hero Sword without paying. Anyways, I'm going with 8.5/10, because even though she's not very durable, she's really good at killing, especially with that chance of Meteor. She also has Pursuit, in a game where that's not very common.

Meh. Footsie still has stuff to do, but she isn't as amazing as her kids so she actually takes a little attention. Taking a little attention + footsie = ;/

I'm going to at least go with 5.5/10 since she does contribute rather well if she gets to the destination.

She's let down by her movement(though every foot unit is like that in this game) despite solid offense(Pursuit and Meteor Sword) and the Hero Sword or the Blades. Her durability also leaves something to be desired for a unit who can't re-move/canto after attacking due to large enemy groups and formations. She tends to only see much combat if there's back tracking in a chapter(e.g. chapter 2) where she's better off waiting for a certain part of the map to be opened up than following yur main force, or the early turns of a chapter with enemies nearby(e.g. chapter 5).

4/10

If that's your biggest flaw with her, I'd personally say give her a 9/10, because she's worth recruiting even if you're not using her for that there Hero Sword.

As for Dew, I was under the impression he wouldn't be useful until Chapter 3, right, if you let him tank the Cross Knights which would give him enough EXP for promotion (assuming you've been using him a lot beforehand)? He may be better than her when properly leveled, but that's kinda hard to do, has more investment for less of a reward because none of Dew's children will ever be as awesome as him.

Dew does help a lot with funding, but we can talk about him when it's his turn, other than Horace, I'm not sure if anyone's tried using him to tank them.

I've also noticed Ayra struggles against lance users. Although swords are the weapon to have, her defense and luck don't do her many favours. The armours in chapter 2 really are a threat for her.

The thing with Ayra is that she usually has no problems clearing the Arena. Once she gets the Hero Sword she makes mince meat of every unit. She can easily pass a 50+ kill Hero Sword to Lakche while Sigurd's Silver Sword still has 50+ kills.

Considering I don't always manage 50 kills on Sigurd's Hero Sword in drafts where Sigurd is just roflstomping (and I'm aiming to get 50+ kills on it), I find it a little hard to believe that Ayra can *easily* manage a 50+ kills Hero Sword with her titblasting 6 (?) move. Arena kills go so far towards raising her, but they're not going to increase the potency of that sword.

Edited by Integrity

Goddammit this is hard

On one hand I know exactly what her weaknesses are so I can't go 10/10 Ayraplz

On the other hand I'm a massive Ayra fangirl so I want to go 10/10 Ayraplz

I hate this aaaaaaaaaaaah

Okay time to be serious.

Ayra has awesome offenses. Her durability and movement sucks, though, but yaknow, once Sigurd pissed me off by not killing Langobalt with a 51 kill Hero Sword over the span of FIVE turns and guess who did it for me (and I still gave him a 10/10, that bastard, okay fuck you big shield you suck)

Yep

Ayra

Yeah it was a draft and all and she only has Sigurd Silver because Sigurd ran out of money for Elite ring and had to sell his shit but still

That overkill offense does come in handy at times

And hey, in ranked, she has no issues getting exp for herself, at least. That's more than some units can say.

Oh yeah and she is required to even get that Hero Sword yes I give people credit for shit they bring if Ardan got credit from me for Pursuit Ring she should get credit for Hero Sword even if it's most likely going on Sigurd so

-3 for shit move

-1 for durability issues

+.5 for HERO SWORD

+1 for I FUCKING LOVE AYRA andeverythingthatisOdo

7.5/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Considering I don't always manage 50 kills on Sigurd's Hero Sword in drafts where Sigurd is just roflstomping (and I'm aiming to get 50+ kills on it), I find it a little hard to believe that Ayra can *easily* manage a 50+ kills Hero Sword with her titblasting 6 (?) move. Arena kills go so far towards raising her, but they're not going to increase the potency of that sword.

I can't recall a time I've ever gotten the Sigurd Sword or Hero Sword to 50+, like ever. I haven't ever done a Sigurdstomp, but still, it seems very unlikely that anyone's passing down a 50+ kill Hero Sword to anybody unless you're specifically engineering it to happen. And if you are, odds are it's on Sigurd, not Ayra.

Granted, if you Celicestomp Chapter 6 it's likely that those weapons will get there if they were already close. But that's irrelevant here.

I can't recall a time I've ever gotten the Sigurd Sword or Hero Sword to 50+, like ever. I haven't ever done a Sigurdstomp, but still, it seems very unlikely that anyone's passing down a 50+ kill Hero Sword to anybody unless you're specifically engineering it to happen. And if you are, odds are it's on Sigurd, not Ayra.

It's very possible (lol, specifically engineering it = having Sigurd destroy maps like he always does). I don't see how you've never gotten the Sigurd Sword to 50 kills though. You must not use Sigurd enough or something.

It would be very hard to get Ayra to do the same though.

Edited by Refa