Rate the Unit, Day 16: Kyle

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Integrity and Integrity again or sometegrity else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route they're best on. If I see "1/10 doesn't exist on ephraim" for Innes your vote won't be counted. If I don't like you enough, I'll throw it out if that reasoning is anywhere there.

Average Ratings

Neimi: 2.24

Gilliam: 3.27

Ross: 4.33

Lute: 4.80

Joshua: 6.02

Natasha: 6.27

Colm: 6.32

Garcia: 6.88

Moulder: 6.89

Artur: 6.92

Eirika: 7.34

Ephraim: 8.13

Vanessa: 8.16

Franz: 9.32

Seth: 9.91

vanessa barely outscored ephraim wow i was going to be very cross with you people until i thought about it and remembered 6 > 3

did i mention i'm an engineering major?

Ahh... Yes... Kyle!

The Green Knight of this game; but he's high on HP/STR/DEF and kinda average on SKL/SPD and being that his RES is pretty lol.

He's durable alright, not being easily killed by things not named Mages; but why start with a Steel Lance? Iron Lances can fill that niche better and so does Silver Lance, but scratch that. He has access to 2-range just like his companion, Forde and the second lord, Ephraim. So, he can chuck off Javelins right off the bat.

Upon promotion, he earns a 2-range flexibility if you choose Great Knight, being able to chuck Javelins or Hand Axes depending on the issue is pretty fun to watch! Oh and he doesn't lose as much AS if you choose that path, I don't recall which weapons weigh him down though.

Problem? Franz exists... if Seth is not around; so your first crest is likely to be competed by three cavaliers. Oh joy!

My verdict?

7.5, He gets the +1 for being on a Pony and having flexible options on promotion; either you want extra MOV for crazy rescue chains or sheer control over the WTA, your pick!

Edited by Le Ultimate Failure

A solid 7/10. He's a good unit. Nothing extraordinary, but good. His speed lacks for a bit, but he has great durability initially, but his 25% def growth and 20% speed and res growths start to take a toll as you near the end. He's mounted, so that's nice. I really don't have any complaints, except for the lack of speed and the fact that he never seems to be as good as I expect him to.

A solid 7/10. He's a good unit. Nothing extraordinary, but good. His speed lacks for a bit, but he has great durability initially, but his 25% def growth and 20% speed and res growths start to take a toll as you near the end. He's mounted, so that's nice. I really don't have any complaints, except for the lack of speed and the fact that he never seems to be as good as I expect him to.

That defense to me by endgame isn't necessary when you have lots of hp, and psychic.

I have a lot of issues with Kyle. He's arguably the worst of the Cav trio. He doesn't gain Speed like Forde or Franz and thus sucks at reliably doubling. Forde just needs a few Strength points and he'll be better than Kyle.

That, and I'd promote Franz and Forde over Kyle, so by the time he's getting promoted... meh.

5/10

He's the best of the growth Cavaliers to go Great Knight, but if your name isn't Duessel GK isn't all that impressive a class to be. As a Paladin he's stronger and more durable than Franz and Forde, but a bit slower; I think it's still better overall than Forde, but not Franz. We won't even discuss Seth because Seth. As a GK however, he makes better use of his strengths and even beats Duessel at most things at equivalent levels or high levels. Except DEF, and weapon ranks, which are rather important, and he doesn't generally have comparable levels if Duessel's being used. Still, he's very solid at that task and can take over from Duessel later if you're not Sethskipping or otherwise blitzing the game.

Of course, the rub there is Duessel always starts out promoted, where Kyle is competing pretty heavily for Cavalier promotion items. It's hard to justify him getting one before Franz, and after that he competes with Forde and lolmelia. He'll probably beat out the latter, but the former is kind of a tossup depending on how well they're turning out.

I'd say a 6.75/10. I do think he's pretty solid, but maybe not a full 7 points solid. Having a shot at reaching the GK STR cap ain't bad, and as long as his speed doesn't lag too much he'll double with that. He can also still go Paladin for movement, he just doesn't impress as much at it as Seth or Franz. But hey, he's not Amelia, that's practically worth 2-3 points all by itself.

I'd say he's the better one between him and Forde. He does not have *that* much trouble doubling while dealing more damage a hit and having better durability. Having partial WTC as well as a horse and solid availability is nice, as well. Since I gave Franz a 9, I think I'll give Kyle a 7.5/10.

Ah, the green cav of FE8. Normally, the one that focuses on strength over speed tends to be the best cav in the game, but Franz kind of kills that concept off. He's in horrible competition for a knight crest; even after Franz takes the first one, he still has the other cav, Gilliam, and :Amelia: for competiton (well, the first two at least because lol :Amelia: ). Factor in Duessel and Seth existing, and it looks almost unfair.

6.5/10. He ain't bad, but he's nowhere near as good as Franz

I'm saving my 0/10 for Amelia, and god I have a rant about how useless she is

I'm saving my 0/10 for Amelia, and god I have a rant about how useless she is

I don't understand how someone who brings a Speedwing to the team upon recruitment (unless you steak it of course) deserves a 0...

But yea. Forde and Franz are arguable better than Kyle. Ford can compensate for his lack of str with Silver wpns. Kyle compensates for his lack of speed/def with...umm....help me here.

Kyle has 40% Spd growth FYI.

Kyle is ok. If he joined a bit earlier, he would be golden. Once he gets to doubling, hes amazing. I prefer him over forde because forde tends to suck massive amounts of...yeah. I give kyle a 6/10

His speed is unfortunate. He doesn't really excel in any stat and his garbage caps mean he's next to useless in CC. He is unable to do much of anything by himself but he works well in teams. His main problem, however, is that he only exists in two pre-9 chapters, meaning his experience gain is going to be ass for most of his existence. And unlike Ephraim, he doesn't have the ORKOing/defensive power to make up for it by killing tons of enemies on enemy phase.

When he promotes he retains his utter mediocrity, able mostly just to soak up a couple of hits thanks to his highish HP.

5/10

Edited by General Banzai

I prefer Kyle over Forde.

Pros:

I like that Strength

Good Movement

Partial and possible full WTA

Decent Growth Spread.

Good Hp

Good Def

Cons:

Fights for Promo item.

Is generally just okay as a unit.

Bad availability

Only support that makes sense is Forde's and why would you use both of them?

Speed can be an issue.

I give him a 7/10

8/10, his joining chapter is like an EXP pool exclusive to him in a lot of playthroughs (Eirika route + not using Forde), and from there it doesn't even matter if he doesn't double reliably since he's mounted. I'll never understand why people keep saying his growths are "suited for Great Knight". The guy has good stats, but even if he didn't, Paladin is the better class. He should be a Paladin. Like, what kind of jackiechan.gif reasoning is this?

Bad availability

Available in like 13/20 of the game (roughly), prolly more cause later maps are longer. Okay?

Only support that makes sense is Forde's and why would you use both of them?

Yeah man, you need team diversity. Let's use scrubs like Gilliam and Lute instead of Forde. Why would you use two of the most broken class when you can have only one broken and one mediocre class?

You know, the Ch15 master seal works well for Knight Crest users, since the only real Hero Crest competition is Garcia and Joshua, and if you need more Guiding Rings, you are using too many magic users until CC, when you can buy them anyway .

Edited by Elieson