[FE4] Rate the Unit XIII

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking (Least to Greatest)

Ardan: 1.39

Azel: 4.63

Midir: 5.47

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Aideen: 6.57

Ayra: 6.79

Fin (First Generation): 7.88

Cuan: 8.41

Lex: 8.83

Ethlin: 9.15

Sigurd: 9.96

DAY 13: DEW

___

Dew, the magical little thief with the ridiculous growths and Solar Sword. What's not to love about him? Well, his shaky start and the fact that Sigurd, Cuan, and Lex roflstomp the whole damn game.

Dew's pretty awesome because of his unique utility. He's a walking bank. With the ability to Give to anyone, Dew is always able to keep people supplied with cash. He himself is usually loaded as well, because whenever he lands a hit he steals money. While he's not the best fighter, all he needs to do is land one hit.

He's also got a pretty good Avoid.

He's also a terrific father. His growths help his kids out, and he gives them a combination of Bargain and Solar Sword. He can father Ayra, Lachesis, and Briggid's kids well. He's not their best father, but he's definitely good.

He also promotes to 7 movement, so he'll move faster than all of the foot units to where he needs to be.

I'll give Dew a solid 7.25/10 because despite his pretty bad combat, his utility and great parenting is enough to make him a damn good unit.

Pros

• Great Father
  • Can borrow rings for super cheap
  • Walking Bank
  • 7 move after promotion
  • Growth rates are stellar
  • Opens Bridge in chapter 4

Cons

• Get's killed super easily in Chapter 2
  • What's combat? Something that isn't around until promotion at the earliest

6.5/10

Admittedly I myself am very poor when it comes to training Dew. He's got a rough start in combat due to low bases, and he can't just destroy arenas like some of the other foot units can to gain levels (Sol? what use is Sol for 1 damage gained back?) but I've seen him trained effectively on C3's Cross Knights in that one draft I was in, and that was pretty impressive. Trained Dew can make C4 not a pain in the dick, so that's also a plus for him. Throwing money around is definitely useful, too, especially for units like Aideen who can't get her own cash until promotion. Dew himself gets 7 move on promo, which is nicer than the rest of the footies, and his combat isn't shit after promotion. He has high (except HP) growths, so he makes a pretty good dad, and Sol gets to be passed down if you pair him with Briggid/Ayra/Sylvia. Bargain for everyone he fathers, too, and that means Elite Ring and other rings for cheap with no net loss in money.

Still stuck at 6 move before promotion, though, and takes a bit to get started, but overall a good unit.

7/10.

Dew takes way too long to be a good fighter with those low bases and average sword rank, but the little guy has other ways to make himself usefull. His ability to give money to healers and poor fighters is awesome and he steals money for every hit he makes. He can also lower that bridge in chapter 4 which saving you the hell of going trough the mountains.

And he's a little kid who can sleep with all the woman in the first generation, thats pretty impressive as well.

7/10

I don't know what game you guys and gals are playing, but Dew does not have good growths. I'd trade his for Beowulf's in absolutely every situation. 3 base str and 28/1 hp/def makes him unusable in combat, and so Sun Sword is a total waste except as a skill to pass down, which on its own is a very small point in his favor.

The only significant thing he can do is throw around money, but outside of chapter one (where he'll get some from axe fighters) actually getting that money will require something along the lines of intense favoritism, with very little payoff. I mean, money isn't really a problem to begin with unless you're playing hot potato with the pursuit ring. That I'd ever have him engage in combat, let alone give him enough kills to gain levels and promote, seems like the absolute worst way for me to spend my time. Ardan, at least, is durable.

I do apologize if I have missed something in all of this (especially since there's a huge disparity between my score and the rest), but as far as I can tell Dew is nearly worthless. What saves him from a zero is his brief chapter 4 utility, and the novelty of giving away money that he'll never have a reason to spend on himself.

He has higher growth in everything but HP than Beowulf, what are you smoking?

Dew has 40 growth all around, with 10 for magic and res, and 50 for HP.

Awesome, I have Ilyana now!

Edited by Knuckles

He makes money and he spreads it around, and he's got Bargain so he isn't hurt too much by giving away all his cash. He pops bridges, he gets the Wind Sword, it's all very nice.

But he sucks ass at everything else. Too fragile, too hard to train, and it's hard to recommend his abilities as a father, in spite of good growths, thanks to a lack of Pursuit. I guess you could pair him with Ayra and hope for the best.

I'm gonna say 5/10. His decent movement, unique utility, and okay fathering make him pretty average in spite of his big flaws elsewhere. If nothing else, he's your army's ATM.

Yes, and Beo's +30% in HP is better than everything else combined.

40% is never particularly impressive, except possibly for Defense, but Dew's bases are so hilariously low that they don't matter at all. 50% HP for a physical unit is a special kind of terrible.

Edited by Duff Ostrich

You have to look at growth rates in relativity to the rest of the game. Seth has some of the best growths in FE8, but throw that growth into FE12 (and its 60s and 70s across the board for some units) and suddenly it isn't even good anymore. FE4 gen 1' growths just suck ass, with 30s being very common. Dew's straight up 40s look great in comparison. His bases do suck, though, that is a problem.

Dew's growths means he gets to tack on 20 to his daughter's growths and have 40s as the BASE of his son's growths before mother addition. That's actually why it's so good.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Awesome, I have Ilyana now!

Earth to Knuckles- 40% everything are not good growths. They may be the best growths for Gen 1, but they do not make Dew amazing by any means, especially with his god awful bases.

I don't know why people are just looking at growths here. It'll take fucking forever just for Dew to reach Sigurd's base strength, or even Ayra's base strength if we want to compare footies.

Dew is NEVER the ideal parent for anyone either (MAYBE for Briggid), so who the fuck cares if his good growths get passed down to his children anyways?

Edited by Refa

Pros: money

Cons: shit

I like money, but he's really ass at fighting most of the time. OTOH, he throws good growths and Bargain down to unsuspecting children so I think I'll just settle on a 6/10.

Now, Dew starts really weak. His bases other than speed blow, and he's stuck with C rank swords and no pursuit. However, he's vital in the first generation when it comes to passing cash around. Whilst his strength isn't going to get terribly high, there are easy ways to get him promoted. And yes, it involves him fending off the Cross Knights and gaining 15 levels in the process. Other than Sigurd, Levin and maybe Lex, who can do that?

In efficient play, it's possible to get him promoted by chapter 4. This makes unlocking the bridge far easier, he actually struggles less against enemies than Sigurd because of his unholy avoid and Sol tanking. 7 move upon promotion is nice!

As a father, he's not passing down much HP or pursuit, but Bargain gives his kids free access to the Elite Ring, which is always cool. He produces dandy sword kids and a stellar Corple. Sol's fun for the sword twins but nobody else can really take advantage of it.

8/10 - His start's not great and he takes a little know-how to get going, no pursuit, but his money powers, great late game performance and growths/bargain to pass down are well worth it.

Dew helps the passing around of rings like elite a LOT, and gives the player generally lots of flexibility. Like Shin said, it's easy to level him against the cross knights (Cuan is good at tanking them as well, btw) and a promoted Dew makes chapter 4 much easier. However, his bases are like the worst thing ever, and without a ranged attack, he's not doing much damage ever until promotion. He's a good parent for passing down stats, but Sol can only be used by the swordtwins, and bargain, as useful as it is, is pretty useless if said unit doesn't have pursuit (which is sometimes, but not always the case).

7.5/10

His start is crap as most people know. He has a hard time killing anything until class change unless someone already weakens the target or until he gets the wind sword. He does have two good skills though. However, the flip side to one of them (sol) can only be given to 4 of kids in part 2. Bargain is good to since he is able to buy things like the elite or pursuit rings for uber cheap. That should speed up his process. In the end he's not much of a character until class change. He requires a lot of patience to made good imo.

6.5/10

I don't really believe in giving units credit for what they pass down. It's hard to explain why but I find it kind of equivalent to giving units credit for recruiting another character.

That leaves Dew as a money machine for generation 1. Money is of very low value to efficiency overall. Not so much in ranked, but he still takes so much favouritism to get more than just his initial load. Dew is just so awful at combat. Even after promotion, he is worse than Ayra at fighting contributions, and I already didn't value Ayra very high!

2/10, he gets Aideen the money to keep Warping I guess

I don't really believe in giving units credit for what they pass down. It's hard to explain why but I find it kind of equivalent to giving units credit for recruiting another character.

It's different in my opinion because you can make the kids better depending on the father. Lex, Levin, and Dew and their likes are good BECAUSE their parenting is amazing. Recruiting another character does nothing for me, and it seems like that doesn't affect the votes so far. I think the only one it would be good would be Levin because he recruits Fury. But if anything it's a minor addition. Being a good parent is much better and dictates how some units are used in Gen 1.

6/10

He is too weak to survive without major babying. He can be a good father and does give Aideen the warp staff. However, because of how fragile and useless in combat he is, I am giving him a 6.

Dew helps the passing around of rings like elite a LOT, and gives the player generally lots of flexibility. Like Shin said, it's easy to level him against the cross knights (Cuan is good at tanking them as well, btw) and a promoted Dew makes chapter 4 much easier.

Cuan can't tank Cross Knights, just like Lex can't, at least as far as I recall. Too much defense, they won't attack him. :P

Also, didn't the Cross Knights have Javelins? What sword are you giving Dew for tanking?

Regardless, Dew has a holiday vs Axes in Ch1. He needs to be very strength blessed to have any shot of clearing level 3 of the arena, though, which does not do him any favors. Instant 5k from bandits and brigands though is amazing, and he can easily borrow Elite ring during bits of chapter that nobody else is using it for, and is absolutely pivotal in topping off people so they can afford it for their own uses. Simply a must for Ranked, because he makes raising the whole cast that much easier. The entirety of his score derives from his utility, so don't think his combat is doing him any favors.

He should probably only father Patty, because Bargain on a Thief allows them to temporarily shore up on rings and equipment to control their donations more effectively. Without bargain, they lose significant access to this flexibility. Sol is worthless on Dew.

8/10

Well he can probably give it back to her after he's done~

And hey, people like Sigurd and Noish always steal my Ayra's sword. Maybe FE4 should've done prfs. :P

Edited by Luminescent Blade