[FE4] Rate the Unit XIV

Caliban of Sycorax

Rules (Borrowed from whomever made them first with modifications)

- Ratings to be assumed from when a unit is first available.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Sigurd/10", etc.

- Personality / Appearance may be taken into account, but only +/- 1 point at the most.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it, please!

- Make votes easily visible, please and thank you!

- Every ranking phase will end on the next day at approximately 10:00 PM (or 22:00), EST.

Units and Ranking (Least to Greatest)

Ardan: 1.39

Azel: 4.63

Midir: 5.47

Dew: 5.68

Noish: 6.15

Alec: 6.17

Aideen: 6.57

Ayra: 6.79

Fin (First Generation): 7.88

Cuan: 8.41

Lex: 8.83

Ethlin: 9.15

Sigurd: 9.96

DAY 14: JAMKA

___

Dat recruitment is a pain in the ass. Oh, and no horse.

But he has Pursuit, Charge, and Continue. And technically Critical if he doesn't sacrifice the Killer Bow to Midir (lol).

He's a pretty good father, too. Great stats minus Skill (LOL) and pretty good growths make his kids decent. Of course, he's probably only fathering Aideen's kids, and possibly Briggid's kids. I really want to do JamkaAyra next playthrough

Lack of EP hurts him too, and his defenses aren't the best.

He's great for a second line though, and despite a lack of Canto, he's still got the ability to kill a lot of shit.

5.95/10 because his recruitment and no horse suck, but I do like him.

Jamka: Offensively awesome and bowlock really doesn't hurt nearly as bad as the other games. However, takes turns to get and doesn't give the team an epic weapon that 2/3 of your team can benefit from. Killer Bow does make Midir better, though.

Lack of horse sucks, too, but hey, like Ayra, he has no issue getting his own exp in ranked play and if he doesn't activate continue charge he could probably chip for some of those scrub units so they can get exp, too. He makes an okay father (inferior to Midir) to Aideen's kids and could pass some interesting skills to Ayra's as well as massive strength (and his low skl growth doesn't even hurt them thanks to Odo).

So uh

-3 for horse lacking

-1 for taking turns to get.

+.5 because he's pretty hawt. Not my favourite like Ayra or Fin or Sigurd (who didn't need the +1 anyway) but I like him nevertheless.

I don't find him hard to recruit to be honest. He as a unit is awesome imo. Not mention abunch of attacking skills. In his generation he's great. However, because he can't pass pursuit and can only use bows it hurts his parenting skills. Hero bow helps too.

7.75/10 if I'm allowed to that. If not 7.5/10

Edited by Guy Starwind

jamka sux because he always makes me load the save I made at the start of the turn because he kills sigurd, fuck that guy

but really

I actually really like Jamka as a character and a unit, but his 6 movement is a pretty big shortcoming.

if only he passed down pursuit, he'd be an incredible father.

3.5/10 + 1 =

4.5/10

oh also, he's almost never recruited in drafts

He's solid for what he is. Unfortunately, what he is is a guy without a horse. Being bowlocked isn't even really a thing; odds are he's not tanking anything anyway, though he's pretty decently survivable. His good skills are nifty, but because Pursuit isn't a personal skill I can never adequately recommend or use him as a father. Good STR inheritance and some good skills, but you really have to pick somebody carefully, or be willing to give up the Pursuit ring to his kids. A tough call.

So, he's a good guy who can easily clear the Arena with Killer (which he and Midir should be trading, though Midir will use it most just for the reality of it), does okay as a second lineman, and rarely fails to kill whatever you point him at in the player phase thanks to every possible skill available for extending the length of a fight. But no horse, and that matters, and that's real unfortunate.

Also I've never had him slow me down or anything. The damn forest is what slows me down, not recruiting Jamka.

So 6/10.

Nice stats and skills, although having Pursuit (like in the Shin Patch) would help him out a lot. Still, he's not going to keep up with the horsies but for the combat he faces, he doesn't do too badly. A pain to recruit, almost never done in a draft environment. He likes his Killer Bow but he can settle with the Silver in chapter 3.

5.5/10

Better skills than Briggid

Better stats that Midayle

Better everything than Arden

But no horse! Which sucks!

As said before, the enemy AI is idiotic, so he can hit enemies fine on their phase, and he's a killing machine on his phase. Probably the third best foot combat unit, factoring in availability, after Ayra and Levin.

5.5/10 + 1

6.5/10

I hate recruiting Bindi Sue. So he loses my bias point.

After that, though, he's a competent archer. Actually, he's a pretty damn good archer. On the other hand, he's an archer and a footsie. Those two things mesh nicely with FE4's maps.

And unlike Briggid, he doesn't even start promoted. The nerve.

He's still better than Briggid, though.

I'm calling him a 4.5/10.

I like using Jamka but it's fair to say he got an unfair hand dealt to him. He's got amazing combat and a really good chance to Critical with the Killer bow but it doesn't make up for being a ranged foot unit in game with lots of enemies and large maps. Which is why Midir is significantly more useful than him.

4/10

Huh, how is he better than Briggid?

Better skillset, keen availability advantage, comparable level-for-level stats? His recruitment is a pain in the dick, but so's giving Briggid Ichival - which is one of her two advantages over Jamka, the other being Skill.

EDIT: And the ultimate problem, to me, is that really fuck them both. One > the other means a unit I won't use > a unit I won't use.

Edited by Integrity

I like Jamka a quite a bit, but he is not very good. Ultimately worse than the cavalry for obvious reasons and slightly worse than Holyn and Ayra for having a less versatile weapon type, he has a really difficult time getting kills without favoritism. Still way better than total garbage like Dew though.

Huh, how is he better than Briggid?

Available in the tail end of Ch1, all of Ch2, and most of Ch3.

Brigid's leads with Ichieval are largely superfluous because Jamka ORKOs pretty much everything other than some bosses at that point, especially those fliers.

Jamka has three skills that help him ORKO enemies. He will Pursuit fairly often because of his speed, and Continue and Charge also activate frequently. And he's usually not getting countered unless he attacks Javelins/Hand Axes/Magic/Bows. It's not uncommon to see Jamka fire 4-5 arrows. Of course, he usually needs only 2-3.

5.5/10.

This is half a point less than my Ayra score, because Ayra gives us a swordmaster and a forrest, rather than two forrests, and they also have better skills. The 2 range Jamka has actually means that he can see slightly more enemies than Ayra, because his range is longer, and he catches up ever so slightly faster. Aside from that they are fairly functionally equivalent.