Rate the Unit, Day 30: Duessel

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Difficult Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted (unless they fall into the general parameters of the average rating, but reasoning is still strongly encouraged on those even if you just wanna quote people) — incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

- Numbers for votes, please - not something like "Marcus/10", etc. Proper justification will be determined by me and whoever decides to help, whether it be Integrity and Integrity again or sometegrity else.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is okay, but no more.

- Votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Makes it easy to calculate, please and thank you~!

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist on ephraim" ANYWHERE in your rating for Innes I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

Average Ratings

Amelia: 1.65

Ewan: 1.74

Marisa: 2.05

Neimi: 2.24

Gilliam: 3.27

Rennac: 4.09

Dozla: 4.28

L'Arachel: 4.31

Ross: 4.33

Lute: 4.80

Joshua: 6.02

Innes: 6.20

Natasha: 6.27

Colm: 6.32

Garcia: 6.88

Kyle: 6.89

Moulder: 6.89

Artur: 6.92

Forde: 7.04

Tana: 7.33

Eirika: 7.34

Saleh: 8.04

Ephraim: 8.13

Vanessa: 8.16

Cormag: 8.22

Gerik: 8.29

Tethys: 8.30

Franz: 9.32

Seth: 9.91

rennac scored a lot higher than i thought he would

also to some of you, make your scores more distinct. an unbolded 4/10 in the middle/end of a long paragraph is sorta hard to spot when i'm skimming for scores

i think i got everything though

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A/A/A rank

17 base defense

This is awesome where can I get more

oh well and 6 move but he's awesome enough and tank enough to not care that much

And the next chapter he joins in is Phantom Ship and high-def units are esp. welcome

He's like a Seth that joins later with less move but axes so basically a free awesome tank combat unit

8.5/10 full bias because he's manly

Edited by Luminescent Blade

A-rank in the Physical Weapon Trinity which allows combat flexibility a.k.a WTC and being able to chuck both Javelins and Hand Axes; tanky/durable, and has Anima affinity! Now, just imagine if he had 8 MOV; and I'd really enjoy his company. He kinda needs a bit more speed too.

7.5, but because of pony biases...

I shall kick him up to...

8.5!

Edited by Frostbite

Duracell is pretty amazing. Triple A ranks. Wtf str and def bases. Pony. 6 move hurts though and unwinged duracell will stop doubling soon. I give him 7/10 but bias (bcuz beard) increases the score to an 8/10

AAA auto insurance is on his side. Durable as fuck, but has the fewest gainable levels to gain.

I don't always use 3 A ranked weapons, but when I do, they're super effective.

6.25. Dat manly man beard earns him a bonus +.5. So 6.75/10

8.75, because of smash.

Edited by Elieson

I say 8/10. He's solid if you need him, Triple As, nice defense, and he gets you a Knight Crest by saving his soldiers. Only problem is 6 move and being useless in the desert. So pretty much Eirika Route troubles, and becoming another candidate for the coveted Swiftsoles. Oh and he can recruit Cormag if you're dead set against using Tana for some reason

FE8's desert's pretty nice to mounts, IMO. The entire bottom half is very mount-friendly and Duessel starts there regardless of route.

I'd agree FE8's desert isn't as harsh on mounts as other FE games' deserts are.

Duessel is the very definition of an idiot-proof prepromote. Top-shelf weapon ranks, bitchin' starting durability, okay movement (GK may not be great on that front, but 6 Move isn't exactly sluggish), doesn't need your promotion items, doesn't need your favoritism (although a Speedwings wouldn't necessarily hurt). A great option for taking one of the sacred weapons, and thanks to his ranks he can choose which one... but you're going to choose Garm of course, for +5 SPD and the fact that it doesn't even begin to slow down Duessel thanks to his 15 CON. That's right, he makes unpromoted Garcia feel inadequate as a man. Plus his beard is better too.

Definitely an 8/10 kind of guy. If he were around longer, he could only go higher, stopping somewhere under Seth. He's not though, which is unfortunate, but what can you do? Oh yeah, that's right: Chill and kill everything with Hand Axes while tanking.

FE8's desert's pretty nice to mounts, IMO. The entire bottom half is very mount-friendly and Duessel starts there regardless of route.

Compared to other deserts? yes? but even then the best Duessel is for is being sent to take out Valter which is great for Ephraim Route but poor for Eirika Route. then again on the Latter he just Auto-Deploys like a boss.

Compared to other deserts? yes? but even then the best Duessel is for is being sent to take out Valter which is great for Ephraim Route but poor for Eirika Route. then again on the Latter he just Auto-Deploys like a boss.

It's still like, half the goddamn map that matters. And there are two areas where mounts only require a much smaller amount of turns to traverse in the desert than your average desert since the actual sand area between top and bottom is quite small. Not to mention you're only supposed to count his better route, which is obviously Ephraim's.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

One of this game's OP prepromotes. Unfortunately for him I can take the fact he isn't there for half the game into account, his move and movement type are average and suck respectively and he's weak to slayers and magic. 7/10

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

6.5/10 -1 for bias (against his class, not against Duessel himself). While he's good, he's not around for half the game, his movement type sucks (he's essentially a foot unit that takes worse movement penalties), and his class leaves him weak to *both* anti-armor and anti-horse weapons.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Because theres a lot of antiarmor and antihorse-weapon-using-enemies, amirite?

Even if there aren't, I still consider it annoying. Especially when your dodging ability isn't that great and effective weapons are triple Mt on the appropriate targets (though said weapons either tend to have low Mt or are inaccurate). And for what it's worth, he's also pretty hard to rescue.

Edited by Metal King Slime

His base durability is similar to most of the physical casts endgame durability, Triple A's in Sword/Lance/Axe gives him great flexibility when it comes to picking which S-rank weapon he gets. While he's only got 6 mov, unlike foot units he's got the movement advantage of re-move for rescue chains. There's his weakness too effective weapons, but honestly from most of the enemies wielding them he takes slightly more damage than a unit that it isn't effective against takes and can have any WTA over any of them.

8/10

Even if there aren't, I still consider it annoying. Especially when your dodging ability isn't that great and effective weapons are triple Mt on the appropriate targets (though said weapons either tend to have low Mt or are inaccurate). And for what it's worth, he's also pretty hard to rescue.

Taking into account WTA and Duessel's DEF/AVO, I'll give you a table for how much damage the effective weapons do before enemy stats.

Armorslayer: 4, 33 HIT

Zanbato: -2, 38 HIT

Horseslayer: 1, 23 HIT

Heavy Spear: 7, 23 HIT

Hammer: 10, 8 HIT

Those numbers don't scare me too much, especially when I'm maybe seeing numbers like that about three more times the whole game.

Taking into account WTA and Duessel's DEF/AVO, I'll give you a table for how much damage the effective weapons do before enemy stats.

Armorslayer: 4, 33 HIT

Zanbato: -2, 38 HIT

Horseslayer: 1, 23 HIT

Heavy Spear: 7, 23 HIT

Hammer: 10, 8 HIT

Those numbers don't scare me too much, especially when I'm maybe seeing numbers like that about three more times the whole game.

Well, to be fair, I DID admit they were either weak or inaccurate...