Rate the Unit, Day 1: Roy

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody has already given good reason for a score +/- half a point from yours, you can decide not to explain your score, but I always encourage personal reasoning. Incredibly low scores or high scores without proper justification will not be counted. Don't put in some random text thinking it'd count as justification. Put in at least a little thought and give REAL reasoning.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

anyway, hi

time to start the fe6 series

EDIT: To those of you arriving from the FE8 threads, I've modified the rules a little bit. Please brush up on them real quick before you throw yourself back into it.

Edited by Integrity

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

starts out okay, with a few levels he usually doubles and kills quite reliably.

his late promotion makes him near useless mid-game. he doesn't need to be fed many more kills before he's up and running again after promotion though.

also, he's needed to conquer/seize. guess that's at least a +1.

7/10

Edited by whase

Ehh, Roy. Not amazingly good in offense, rather frail, horrendous promotion time, but he's the fucking lord. And he gets Sword of Seals which gives him awesome points.

5.5/10

Can go suck a fat one 0/10

Okay time to be serious

Roy has an okay earlygame. Axe users are in his favour, and in C4 he could stab a few of those really dickish cavaliers that everybody else sans Marcus and Dieck and sometimes Halberd Lot (if his hitrate permits) have trouble with for pretty good damage. Once out of the earlygame, however, he's useless for a long time, and has to be fed kills just to stay alive. Fir's chapter is good for some self-improvement, but really, I consider it a net negative when you're forced and it takes /that much effort/ to get you to survive ONE goddamn bolting depending on the mercy of the RNG, since Roy's combat is absolutely ass outside of earlygame and like, Fir's chapter before his promotion. Most of the time, Roy is useless baggage you need to carry him around so he doesn't DIE.

His promotion is late and pretty bad, but the Sword of Seals does redeem him a little. His combat against human units continues to be ass, as he just promoted and likely won't double any promoted units that are more commonplace in C22. He is, however, good against Mamkutes, since they're balls slow, and he can hit them for massive damage at 2 range. But that's all he's good for. SoS isn't spammable due to 20 uses, after all. Great sword, though, since it gives an utterly crap unit some uses by endgame, but still not enough to make Roy a good unit since Roy's entire crappy mid-late game pre-promotion is against him. And being forced just makes it worse.

4/10 -1 bias point because fuck roy and his tendency to die by bolting

3/10

Edited by Luminescent Blade

starts out okay, with a few levels he usually doubles and kills quite reliably.

...in hard mode? Are we playing different FE6es?

He's simply baggage to lug around for the rest of the game once you clear early-game axelandia.

Also, later promotion hurts him a lot! A few chapters away from Final if you got all Legendary weapons; and a freaking one chapter if you didn't got all of them!

Oh yeah... Sure, the Sword of Seals makes him redeemable, but that is if you're roasting Wyverns or smacking Mamkutes into outer space or into fine grounded ashes.

His supports make him redeemable, but it doesn't mean he's gonna be good! So in summary, Roy starts out good; then becomes obligatory baggage who is fed kills and stagnates once he reaches LV20; and has a late promotion which is complete sadfais!

4.5/10

Edited by Frostbite

sorry, I forgot I always go to the secret shops and buy some statboosters for Roy.

That's certainly more than "with a couple of levels" and also doesn't take place until midgame at the very earliest.

Right. The one with non-Angelic Robes are chapter 21. 16 shop has only Angelic Robes, which is kind enough to boost his survivability against Bolting dicks up a little, but it ain't helping his combat.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

When secret shopping helps you keep up with your team, it means that you are just slowing things down.

With the exception of a handful of chapters, Roy suffers from being his father's son. A lord of mediocrity.

That being said, I rate him a inb4 not marcus out of 10 2.5 out of 10

6/10. He gets a + 1 because he is the only required unit and has to be their to seize, +1 because he's a strong presence in the early game and Western Isles arc, +2 for hitting the Endgame like a truck, -3 because of that mid game slump that murders him, needs to promote earlier, thank god I made a patch for that -1 because his bases, while he in essence has the best growths in the game outside of crazy ass Karel, his low bases kick him in the nads and leave him winding up mediocre, especially when he's stuck at 20 until Chapter 21.

His final +1 is affinity and supports, that fire affinity is just amazing for any of his multiple supports, especially since Alan and Lance support FAST with him.

And I guess there's also a +1 bias point cause I love the little bastard and because he looks like this in my current Hard Mode game (Chapter 7, and no I haven't been mucking with the RNG)

t6t14x.jpg

So overall 6/10 WITH Bias and 5/10 without

Edited by Onmi

+2 because he's a strong presence in the early game and Western Isles arc

Seriously what's with all this "strong earlygame presence" for Roy? He dies all the damn time in NM ffs.

Seriously what's with all this "strong earlygame presence" for Roy? He dies all the damn time in NM ffs.

Chapter 1 and 2 carry's a lot of axe users that he wont DOUBLE on hard mode, but he'll certainly be able to handle. Chapter 3 he has the Rapier vs. Armors and Cavaliers, my first is still at 7/25 uses, and I'm getting the next one this chapter. Chapter 4 has Cavaliers, and you need to get him close to the northernmost village for quick recruiting of Clarine and Rutgar (or at least that's how I always do it and I will fully admit to not being the fastest player) in Chapter 5 it's Bandits Bandits everywhere, Roy I always send down the south gate rather than the group who swings around the north. In chapter 6 his use starts falling off, same as Chapter 7 (he hasn't gotten to kill much here) but he gets his new Rapier so he can go back to handling Cavs and Armors.

Of course the main problem is, how is your Roy doing. I get lucky with Roy quite a lot of playthroughs, so of course that colors my bias. And I'm talking Hard Mode here, in Normal Mode I found he survives much easier. Who knows, maybe the RNGs always been kind to me, but really I can't say I've experienced the Roy's people have gotten before. Maybe next runthrough will kick me in the nuts.

The only FE6 I have going right now is one with an extremely underleveled Roy, so my Roy isn't "doing" anything right now.

And if you don't know if the RNG has treated you kindly you can always, y'know, check his averages. I've had a Marth who doubled and 1RKOd (with iron) most of the way through FE11 H5, and I sure wouldn't say Marth has strong combat. I currently have an Eliwood who's doing the same in HHM, and yet.

Roy, eh?

He always turns into one of my better, reliable early units, even on hard mode. Killing horsies and armours are his specialty. But that late promotion hampers him.

Overall, 70%.

4/10 spends 90% of the game in someone else's saddlebags because he dies so easily and it's much easier to win by having him rescued

4.5/10.Can handle the axers early on and on the Western Isles, but other than that, he's rather fragile. Late promotion doesn't help either...

Roy's early game is terrible.

Chapter 2, after maybe getting some action against the fighters in the early portion, Dieck and co should be handling the second half, so there will be a large dearth of nothing for him to do.

2HKO'd by soldiers in Chapter 3, and 4-5HKO's back (depending on if he rolled strength), but hey they're soldiers so at least he doubles, right? He's 3HKO'd by the Cavs, and 2HKO's back, with his Rapier (anything else is lol, though). He 5HKO's knights with effective weaponry and is 2HKO'd back, so he should never fight them, etc. etc.

In Ch4, his Rapier fails to work against nomads, but you'll still use it because the 10 extra hit help, and his prowess against Cavaliers hasn't improved, but there's so damn many of them you need all the help you can get. The pirates will never be near him.

Chapter 5 has mercs with steel swords that 2HKO him, AND double him (assuming a lvl 6 Roy with averages). That's... not good. Sure he does a little better versus the ones with blades or iron, but 2RKO being better than 1RKO is not much of an accomplishment.

Chapter 6 is more 2HKO'd by soldiers and knights oh my, and then Chapter 7, loooool.

Sucking at combat is pretty much the story of Roy's life for forever, and he needs the Light Brand to have a shot at chip damage to help him level up whenever he's not in someone's saddlebags, which he almost always will be due to "Seize all day, every day".

Sword of Seals doesn't really help even, coming incredibly late. But hey, at least you'll never manage to run through the whole thing, so there's that right?

Roy's best use is contributing his affinity in some easy-to-make supports.

2/10

Roy is extremely mediocre throughout the game. Late promotion hurts him so much...sword of seals kinda makes up for it i guess...for a few maps. 3/10

My score: 2/10

He has a poor to so-so early-game due to bad base stats, but Passable combat on the Western Isles; after that he is shit for the rest of the game. A complete burden forever and ever.

Chapter 3 he has the Rapier vs. Armors

ummmmmmmmm... unsure.gif

My score: 2/10

He has a poor to so-so early-game due to bad base stats, but Passable combat on the Western Isles; after that he is shit for the rest of the game. A complete burden forever and ever.

ummmmmmmmm... unsure.gif

PEMN yet PEME, or more specificly, the latter is what I've experienced in a playthrough I started literally hours ago, forgive me for not remembering he usually can't handle them (and 9.8/10 times he can't)

Integ, I propose an addition to the OP.

- Ratings are to be assumed that the game is being played out until the true ending.

He can sieze! 20/10

Roy is terrible. Seriously, the only time he'll ever contribute anything of worth is the Isles. Bolting hates him, and he never promotes.

1.5/10