Rate the Unit, Day 4: Wolt

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Roy: 3.54

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

okay a little bit of a change here today

the entirety of rule 2 except the most basic part is solid gone

I will no longer presume "okay horace put a justified 8.5 so soul's unexplained 8.5 can be excused" - soul will have to either write his own reasoning or explicitly reference horace's rating

we'll see how it goes for a mostly inconsequential day or two (tomorrow's bors after all) and go from there

also why is soul always my default example

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolt is this I don't even...

Yea, you get the idea.

Poor bases, bowlock, low movement...basically, archer syndrom, but there isn't anything about him redeeming in the long run either.

max availability does nothing for him, except give him the opportunity to chip, if he can keep up with marcus, alance, thany, and hell, even dieck.

Stuff him in the crap pile with Bors.

A more than generous 2/10

Wolt is just an sucky unit. Extremely bad bases, growths which aren't bad, but not enough to compensate for his bases. Being bow locked isn't all that great either.

He's still free for a few chapters and he can do some chipping. I'll be nice to him and give him an extra bias point, since I find him strangely endearing as a character.

2/10 as a unit and one bias point, so its a 3/10 for Wolt.

This is going to sound crazy, but I actually think Wolt is worth about a 3/10. Even I think that's a little high, but I want to give him a smallish bump. Why?

Well... he's bad and difficult to use on HM. No question. His bases are awful and his durability is unlikely to ever be any better than Roy's, who isn't exactly King Toughness himself. But he does have okay offensive growths and early chip potential. It's not very much, but I think it floats him toward the top of the heap of shitty units. I mean, he's not as bad as Bors or whatever; there's a lot of really shitty, entirely unusable characters in Sword of Seals, and while Wolt is a bad unit, and not in any way advantaged by HM, he can at least say that early on he's able to make attacks that aren't drawing counters. It also doesn't hurt that, in a game with lowish accuracy, bows have okay Hit.

So assuming you use him while you don't have a choice, get some chip in here and there (maybe if for no other reason than to feed Roy or Alance, or to plunk something that wasn't in Marcus's way), and then bench him, at least he's tried to help. Better that than an outright liability.

Wolt may be shitty, but earlygame chip does help, however much we can get. Bows are fairly accurate too, which makes them better choices than javelins unless you're Marcus and his 14 skl base. Wolt doesn't really get anywhere since his bases suck ass and growths are fairly mediocre, but he can contribute to the team positively before you get a prep screen.

3/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

2/10

His early joining is probably the only thing that saves him from a 1/10. He's moderately accurate, but does no damage, scales poorly, and is impossible to train because, well, archer. Klein blows him out of the water after not too long even if you choose to continue using him for some reason.

Edited by Silvercrow

Accurate but deals mediocre damage.

Also, Igrene, Sue, Shin and Klein are around later on; so why bother?

I'll be generous though since at least if you'll pick Pegasi-infested route and you still continue to use him...

So, my verdict?

He is decent accurate earlygame chip. His bases are terrible and he will never be able use his growths even if they were amazing. Because archer syndrome. Hes pretty terrible outside of earlygame chip and should ideally be benched ASAP. He gets a 2/10 from me.

Roy's 'Brother' Given third string on pretty much all the official art he, Roy and Lilina appears in, ABSOLUTE JUNK and I love him anyway.

Okay not absolute junk since my Current Wolt is 20/4 38HP/20STR/16SKL/16SPD/12LCK/11DEF/3RES. But to actually get to that point was me lucking the hell out and getting good early strength growth. On the whole he's only really useful for the first 8 chapters where he can successfully chip pretty much anything.

'Good' (And I do use the term loosely) Wolt chapters:

Chapter 1,2,3,4,5 (Free deployment, Truly Shines in 1 (Small Map) 3 (Tight corridors for Chipping) 4 (The starting rush) and 5 (Potshotting over at the lower gate)

Chapter 6 (Tight packed corridors, can chip)

Chapter 7 (Wyverns make their debut)

Now while I say their good Wolt chapters only the first 5 really count, because On chapter 6 we get both Sue and Dorothy. And while I've never been particulary impressed with the former, she gets a horse, and the latter has gotten some insane growths this run through 20/1 37HP/21STR/20SKL/20SPD/9LCK/9DEF/9RES (Or in short, an unmounted Shin with 1 more point in Strength and one point less in speed, and she didn't get HM Bonuses)

Also, without strength growth that Chip will very quickly become worthless, if Marcus using an Iron Sword has stopped bringing enemies down to near death by Chapter 4, what the fuck is Wolt with his shitty bow doing?

3/10. And 1 of those is a Bias point

In Short

Pro's

~5 Chapters where he doesn't cost anything to deploy

~Can Chip

~Has good and fast support options

~Able to be adequate on Chapter 6/7

~Good growths for FE6 40STR/50SKL/40SPD (Equal to Roy and Lance, 5 lower than Alan, not that it matters because...)

Con's

~Pathetic bases

~Locked to Bows (No Enemy Phase, Weak attack)

~Get an Archer and a Nomad who do his job better in Chapter 6

~Can't keep up with the damage output

~Fragile

~Has a terrible affinity (I hate Ice. Bias)

~Flyers are so far and few between that he wont be doing anything significant

~The flyers who do show up you want alive (Thite's Pegasus Squad) or are Wyverns with High Defense.

~Archer is a terrible class

~Uninteresting supports

~Probably more I can't recall at 3:30 AM and just waking up.

How To Fix: If you're going to be Weapon Locked, and have no Enemy Phase, Wolt needs to be having a Dieck-like player phase, even on Hard Mode. He should have had the highest starting strength in the party outside Marcus, and been able to handle the fighters in much the same way. Snipers getting the 30% Crit the Swordmaster and Berserker get would certainly mitigate their shittiness, but that's a fix to the class not Wolt.

Overall I like Wolt for some reason, He sucks and I know he sucks, the game never really fleshes him out either unlike Igrene, and even my current run has Dorothy surpass him while being 3 levels lower, yet He's the one who gets the deployment slot. Maybe I'm masochistic? still even with my bias he doesn't deserve more than a 3. If you need me to revise, let me know, I literally just woke up to type this

Earlygame, he does some good chipping damage, for what it's worth.

I'm sure you're all aware of chapter 7 the one with all those Dragon Riders. Wolt's ability to pierce their defences and cause considerable damage to them is invaluable. Plus he never misses which is something nearly all axe and lance users in this game can't hold a candle to.

He gets an overall 35% from me.

Although Wolt's pitiful chip is mildly helpful for 3 chapters, there's still 90% of the game left to be played, in which he's awful personified. I'm also not of the opinion that being necessary for the most efficient clears of early chapters, simply because you are the only unit available is all that great. It just means your terrible self exists. 1/10.

He helps out a little when he first comes, but his bases are really stinky! Unless you're pulling a magic Wolt, the odds are that his stats won't be good enough for more than a weak inaccurate chip. NM is another story, but we're not talking about NM. Long live Klein!

2.5/10 - Stinky bases destroy him!

Speaking of which, since it's FE6, and we can freely look at why a unit is bad, what bases would people suggest for Wolt to make him better I'm totally not gathering info for my hack or anything

On second thought, not here, not unless Integrity wants to do something similar

Edited by Onmi

Speaking of which, since it's FE6, and we can freely look at why a unit is bad, what bases would people suggest for Wolt to make him better I'm totally not gathering info for my hack or anything

Sorry if this is way off topic ahead of time.(I'll move it to your hack thread if it is) Anyways, I'm not too interested in looking up the specific numbers, but It would be really nice if he could at least 3RKO early game, and if he had any kind of prospects for doubling. It's my opinion that archers are best balanced as high damage, low durability chip. Basically, more spd+str

Sorry if this is way off topic ahead of time.(I'll move it to your hack thread if it is) Anyways, I'm not too interested in looking up the specific numbers, but It would be really nice if he could at least 3RKO early game, and if he had any kind of prospects for doubling. It's my opinion that archers are best balanced as high damage, low durability chip. Basically, more spd+str

Strike through is a joke, I'm pretty sure what I'm doing for most units bases anyway. I'm honestly curious for vanilla FE6 what people would do, because Dieck's the god honest proof that "Good bases>Good growths"

Edited by Onmi

So much for "inheriting" Rebecca's skill with a bow.

I'd say he pretty right well inherited Rebecca's "skill" with a bow, mhm.

Wolt is pretty awful. However he is forced into 5 chapters, and has relatively good chip damage there. He has almost no long term potential due to being bowlocked, having bad bases, and mediocre growths.

2/10

2/10

Wolt really has very little use out of a handful of chapters, and even those chapters are more an accident of him being in the right place at the right time. I suppose that's still better than someone like Bors who is in those same chapters but practically useless.

The funniest part about Wolt is that even the prepromoted Snipers have comparable stats to him.

Uh, did people rate Marcus as if he were FE7 Marcus?

2/10

Wolt really has very little use out of a handful of chapters, and even those chapters are more an accident of him being in the right place at the right time. I suppose that's still better than someone like Bors who is in those same chapters but practically useless.

The funniest part about Wolt is that even the prepromoted Snipers have comparable stats to him.

^

2.5/10

Edited by Tangerine