Rate the Unit, Day 21: Noah

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Treck: 4.66

Lot: 5.40

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Chad: 6.42

Saul: 7.18

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

treck had a record low number of votes. why do you all hate treck?

EDIT: I'll leave the Zealot and Treck votes open to modification until tallying tomorrow on account of the rule change, but I won't be accepting any new ones for either.

Edited by Integrity

His bases are good, particlarly the 9 speed. He is also easy to recruit. However the growth rates are not really all that friendly. The weapon ranks are quite generous - C Swords and D Lances. Being Lv.7 means that he could be promoted within 3 levels of usage, giving him those great promo gains on top of his already decent bases. He has a great support with Fir, giving both of them extra attack amongst other things.

Despite this, I don't think he deserves a high score simply because those growths will make him lag, and early promotion will only delay that.

55%.

Edited by Raven

Treck, but superior in mostly every way that matters.

Higher level for quicker access to promotion. Better weapon ranks. Fir supports, which are very nice. And that base Sp...sure helps.

closer to Alance, but not up to their level.

so Noah > Treck, so he earns a 6.25

NOAH! NOAAAAAAAH!

Wait... we're not talking about the theme or SRWZ 2 and are instead talking about the unit?

Damn.

Anyway onto Noah, the sword focused cavalier in a game full of Lance focused cavaliers. he has a nice Anima affinity to give to some decent units. However Noah suffers from a problem that a few other units suffer from. Master of None. His growths, while 'balanced' have no real strength and this will only bring Noah down. He's certainly not the worst unit in the game, but unless Alance has failed and Treck isn't Dozering, and You don't want to use Percy (...WHY?!) You wont be hurt going with Noah.

6.5/10

A Bias point for having some good supports.

Noah is decent as far as FE6's standards go. Having C Swords is interesting, since it opens up to being able to use Killing Edge and Wyrmslayer. Pitifully, Killing Edges are hogged by Rutger and Wyrmslayer is low in supply.

Noah's base stats are pretty decent. His 10 Con allows him to wield a Steel Sword with no penalties, AS-wise. Noah has 19 Atk / 9 AS with Steel Sword, which usually is just enough to double and ORKO the Steel-wielding Pirates and Fighters earlygame. He also has a little time to pad up his stats a little more since he can be in Chapter 8, which is wtflong.

The biggest issue with Noah is that, while his bases aren't too shabby, his growths are just an eyesore. 30% Str and Spd growth is too low; especially in Sacae, and he might barely even make the cut in Ilia if you can (miraculously) get Noah to Level 20 and promote him before heading there. If you can get him there somehow, 14 Str and 15 Spd (technically it's 13.9 / 14.9 Spd, but...) isn't terrible for Ilia, but by that point you still have better Paladin alternatives (Percival, Alan, Lance) and units that are just bad ass enough to pass as foot units (Rutger). At least he has the greater possibility of being able to use Durandal, aside from Percival... so that might help too?

I don't really have anything funny to say about Noah. He's too bland.

Overall, Noah isn't "terrible", but he's far from "great". I would say about average, but the horse is probably his biggest saving point to consider using him. It's just a damn shame that he suffers from the usual-ish FE6 cast syndrome.

5.5/10

You could probably argue a 5/10 if you really want to weigh his Sacae performance down more, but he can at least ferry people around... which says more than a lot of the shitty foot units.

Edited by Colonel M

Oooh! It's Noah~!

Apparently; he's my second favorite cavalier in this game; Tee hee~!

I gotta love how his weapon ranks are gonna be a boon for him at Western Isles; since it's an axefest. He loses no AS from Steel Swords and that's nice. His growths are kinda meh though; but his bases are okay enough.

And he has option to get some nasty +ATK and +CRIT supports if you like bothering with Fir and Treck; hence making his offenses become okay; despite of having not much CRIT; but still dat ATK thanks to Anima affinity.

Since I like him; and I'm such a sucker for most Paladins...

Kick it up with a bias point for a nice...

Another above-average but not incredible Cavalier, but he's got some decent prospects at least. Okay stats, good growths, good weapon ranks, great CON (for a Cavalier at least), acceptable supports. He's probably not seeing them in LTC games but in regular HM runs, maybe. He could also do the early promotion thing.

He's better than Treck, but that doesn't exactly mean he's godly or anything. 6.5/10

I do like Noah, and his healthy C in swords along with his manly Con means he can Steel Sword and Killing Edge it up at the isles. His bases are good enough for him to contribute on some level in C7, and he can help a lot in C8 if only as a chauffeur.

Of course, his growths aren't exactly winners, and are more like something you'd expect out of a pre-promote. Unfortunately, he's not a good enough base unit to compensate for this. He's not unsalvageable, but the RNG Goddess has to like you if you want a really good Noah. He has a good Fir support at least, if you use her.

6/10

Better than Treck due to higher base level and ranks. With enough levels can promote for a third Marcus/Zealot in the isles, and that sword rank is nice. His growths are fairly unspectacular, so he's not the best choice for long-term use, although he's still viable if you like him and want to use him in the long run if you go Ilia.

6/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Noah...hmm...

His bases are good for his level, but his growths can get him in trouble if RNG screwed (seriously ._.): 30% in STR and SPD isn't what I'd call amazing, and his DEF growth is also 30%. His SKILL growth is pretty good, though, which is 45%, while his LUCK growth is 40%. Of course he has a good HP growth, which is 75%, and LOL 10% RES growth. All he needs is a bit of a luck in STR and SPD and he's good to go, but he's clearly outmatched by Alan and Lance. He's still better than Treck, though.

He could be used as a rescue bot for chapter 8, but if he gets lucky level ups, he could be seeing some use at least in the Western Isles.

6/10, but +.5 for scoring with Fir. 6.5/10.

Noah is the like Treck in that he is really just there. He has decent speed good con, but is all and all rather unimpressive. He isn't really going to end up getting doubled by much has good durability. He isn't going to do anything offensively, but at least he is going to hit with wtc and good skill and luck growths. He does have C swords which is nice especially with isles coming up.

5.5/10

He is far from being Lance or Alan, but he is better than Treck due to higher level and IIRC better growths. He can also ferry people around which is pretty useful. At least he is more useful than a good portion of the members in your team. He also has a cute pairing with Fir which give him a bias point.

6 + 1 bias = 7/10

Noah, that adorable dude that rides a horse.

Pros:

Good bases.

Horsie.

Decent Supports.

Cute as a button.

Cons:

Growths arent fantastic.

Kinda lowish level upon joining.

Alance outclasses him.

I like this guy a lot though. His growths seem to be a little TOO balanced though, so hes not excelling at anything in particular. Hes just being a cav/pally. I find him better than Treck because Noah's got better bases and stuff. He just seems easier to use. Of course, by this time, Alan and/or Lance are pretty much in the lead. What i like about Noah is that even when thats the case, he can still be useful and contribute pretty well.

7/10. 7.5/10 bias.

Noah is Treck with worse growths overall but better bases, and without the Roy ferrying in C7. Now, normally, his ever so slightly lower potential late-game performance might make me a bit hesitant, but not in the case of Treck v. Noah. Noah has better weapon bases (namely, the ability to use killing edge if case it's necessary), slightly better CON, and most notably, 9 AS instead of 7 AS, which can double 5 AS Steel Axe users and, if he can get 1 more SPD from leveling, keep him from being doubled by mercs for a while. All of these things combined make Noah easier to train than Treck and better early-mid-game; and honestly, Noah at 20/5 is barely worse statistically than Treck at 20/5, not even taking into account Noah's small level lead most of the game or extra point of CON. However, all in all, he's merely....average, so a score of around 5/10 is probably apt.

5/10

EDIT: Basically, much of what Colonel M said.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Posting real late, and it doesn't even really matter because I'm giving the same score as everyone else, but whatever.

He's okay. Decent hp/str/speed is all I really ask for, and he can claim decent-ish scores in all three of these at base. Being a cavalier with good weapon ranks goes a long way too, but combine it with unimpressive stats and you have the poster boy for what FE6 considers average. I hope its not too disappointing.

Edited by Duff Ostrich