Rate the Unit, Day 25: Oujay

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Barth: 2.07

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Lilina: 3.53

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Treck: 4.66

Lot: 5.40

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Astohl: 7.17

Saul: 7.18

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

idk what to say about oujay i haven't ever used him even in nm

also i still haven't thrown whase's lilina score, still thinking about that one

Edited by Integrity

tumblr_lvsdl7g4Kj1qm68p1o1_400.png

Oujay's a good substitute for Dieck if he got RNG screwed, and he can hold his own pretty well. The Western Isles is an axefest, so Oujay comes at a pretty good time. His growths are decent, but his level is kinda low and his bases aren't so good. Still, a good unit.

6/10, +1 for the supports with Lilina and Lalum XD.gif. 7/10

Unlike the two scrubs he comes with, OJ is plenty trainable, and he does have decent speed if trained. But his bases aren't all that great, and if you promote him, his con is bad for axes but doesn't have an insanely sexy rank to make up for it. He can make a decent Hero and amount to something, however, and it's not terribly hard to train him since the coming up chapter 9 has a ton of axemen he can get easy exp from. His durability is pretty ehh before promotion, though. HP is decent, but that defense stat leaves much to be desired. Promotion gives a delicious +4, but he'll still have to reach promotion first.

However, unless you aren't using one or both of Rutger or Dieck, he's likely not promoting until chapter 16.

Actually what the fuck giving him a 5/10 there are more units that are shittier than him that might be worth only slightly less than 5

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Dieck-lite! He's certainly usable, but I've always found his strength a little underwhelming. Still, hero isn't a bad class to be, although he'll have trouble using axes. His start's not great, but the isles can get him moving.

6/10 - He's a funny guy, and won't hinder your team too much. Not the best, but you could do far worse *cough*everyone from Ostia barring Astol*cough*

Low bases and underleveled; but... but... He is a good subsitute in case Dieck starts to screw over; and joins at an okay time since he has swords and can smack axe users at the Isles. His affinity is okay; Wind is an offensive element; and it jives well with Lilina's Light; but odd with Lalum's +DEF/CRIT/EVADE; since she ain't gonna benefit which is LOLWUT (A dancer not benefiting from her supporter's bonuses, really IS?)

Sadly; unlike Dieck like mentioned before; he has meh bases; low leveled and joins a bit later; and he has low CON for axes which will sting him a lot in terms of AS.

Still; he's usable; but don't expect him to be better than Dieck in terms of AS; due to that CON.

Edited by Frostbite

5.5/10. He may join underleveled, but unlike the two he joins with, he's in heaven on the Western Isles with its inaccurate axe dudes that he can wreck.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Oujay wishes he came earlier, where his low base level wouldn't hurt him. However just because he's sitting out most of chapter 8 doesn't mean he's useless, the Axefest of the Western Isles is coming up, so he's essentially going to Valhalla. You can certainly do worse than Oujay, who is unfortunately contending for the Hero Crest and compared to the other worthless dregs who join in Chapter 8 he's a god among men.

solid 6/10

Also his nickname is 'The Little Hero' same as Roland

3a4qt.png

6sgbr9.png

So potential pre-destiny for the Durandal?

Now this is a character I like. His better speed and luck makes him worth using over Dieck if he got screwed. He's not Ravens shadow, but he won't need to be babied like with some other characters. Sure his Con is low, but at least he does fine taking out those 1~2 ranged enemies without a problem (Unlike Dieck who may sometimes have trouble doubling them); and his high speed growth more than makes up for it. If you wait till he's at 20 before promoting him, he can even have a chance at using that Devil Axe without too much trouble thanks to his good luck. <3

Sexy and the Hero unit of my choice and godsend in Western Isles.

So.....

9/10

Edited by リンダ

Doesn't have the Con for axes.

But great join time. He just need some help on his quest to become decent.

He's not bad looking, though his portrait doesn't do him any favours. I don't swing that way, so I'd probably respectfully decline.

Oujay uses swords, which is always a plus, and turns up at an ideal time to be trained. He'll never be quite as good as Dieck, and he'll be fighting Fir and Gonzales for the third Hero Crest. Wind is not a half-bad affinity, but he doesn't have many options that are any good, and benefit from it.

I have a soft spot for him, so he'll get a bias point from me.

5.5+1

6.5/10

Edited by Baldrick

He's like Raven Lite, I think. Good speed growth ensures he doubles a good number of enemies if you're willing to raise him up.

The bases aren't the worst, but could be better for a Mercenary. If only he started at level 5 like Raven does in FE7, his bases would be better and he would be easier to use off the bat. Thanks to the plentiful numbers of axe enemies in the Isles, this won't be too much of a problem, however. Will have some Con issues with axes when he promotes, but he can still be a reliable unit.

Plus I really like a speedy Mercenary.

70%.

Orenthal James Simpson joins underleveled and with averageish bases for his level, but he joins at the perfect time for an underleveled swordsman: right before axeland. OJ loves the Isles, since he can destroy those countless axe wielders to get some much needed levels while looking for the hitman who really killed his wife. Once OJ is trained up, he's a solid unit who can more than pull his weight.

6/10

Another growth unit joining Chapter 8, but unlike the others he benefits greatly from the axe-heavy chapters ahead. His base stats aren't Wendy bad (Has the same base Spd as Noah when using Iron which isn't lighting the world on fire but at least is workable), he's got decent growths in most of the stats that matter (HP, Str, and Spd), and he has a lot of room to grow which is good because he might have to wait a while to get his hands on a Hero's Crest. He'll never contribute something as useful as Dieck or Rutger do, but in a world of trash units Oujay is pretty okay.

5/10

6/10 + 1 for being cute = 7/10

Oujay is pretty good, especially if you are getting a bad Dieck. He needs to be babied a bit but then he becomes good. His main problem is the lack of a horse.

Geez, what does a unit have to do to be given bad ratings around here? Look ugly?

He has 1-range, is 100 miles removed from promotion, gets 2HKO'd by everything and thus can't reliably enemy phase things, can't counter bows, needs the most valued promotion item and doesn't have anything unique to his name.

3.5/10

OJ Simpson brutally murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman on June 13, 1994. And unlike Oujay the Mercenary, he didn't need levels to do it and had much stronger defense. Oujay is underleveled and needs work, and turns out kind of average. That slow start can be a pain and crest competition is already rather fierce, with many people coming before him likely to want it first.

Additionally, Oujay does not have over 11,000 rushing yards and was never in a Naked Gun movie, which means he never worked with Leslie Nielsen, which means nothing, but also he doesn't have a horse.

5/10

OJ Simpson brutally murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman on June 13, 1994. And unlike Oujay the Mercenary, he didn't need levels to do it and had much stronger defense. Oujay is underleveled and needs work, and turns out kind of average. That slow start can be a pain and crest competition is already rather fierce, with many people coming before him likely to want it first.

Additionally, Oujay does not have over 11,000 rushing yards and was never in a Naked Gun movie, which means he never worked with Leslie Nielsen, which means nothing, but also he doesn't have a horse.

5/10

you're very consistently my hero

Also fixing a typo in the thread title. It was early. >>

Somewhat of a Mini-Dieck with better speed if he manages to reach a similar level. Probably not gonna happen, but he's decent enough regardless.

The upcoming western isles make it easy to train him while still having him do something useful.

I don't really care about promotion item competition because you can buy them in C16 anyway.

His Con isn't that good for axes, but as long as he doesn't do anything silly like trying to equip steel axes, he's fine. All he really wants are hand axes and killer axes anyway.

5.5/10.

+0.5 bias because I like him.

-> 6/10

Oujay might not be as bad as most of the rest of Ostia, but he's still not good at all and (apparantly) ridiculously overrated. Poor offense and poorer defense, his main selling point is okay growths and doubling weighed down axe fighters. Noah can do that better, and he wasn't very good to begin with.

And let's be clear on one thing: Being worse than Dieck six chapters later cannot be spun as something worthwhile.

He comes with a Steel Sword in his joining chapter, and with 8 Con and 9 Spd, he doesn't really double much more than, what? Loldiers? Armors? Some archers? I know the next couple of chapters are axefests and make easy training for him, but it also doesn't help his case that he has a good amount of crest competition. Rutger, Dieck, and perhaps Gonzales are probably all getting priority over him.

His growths are okay but not amazing (40% Str, 30% Skl lessen the impact of his 45% Spd growth). His bases are okay but not amazing. So if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, and has Crest competition among arguably better units...

4.5/10

Geez, what does a unit have to do to be given bad ratings around here? Look ugly?

He has 1-range, is 100 miles removed from promotion, gets 2HKO'd by everything and thus can't reliably enemy phase things, can't counter bows, needs the most valued promotion item and doesn't have anything unique to his name.

3.5/10

I got beaten to the punch here this morning for wittiness, so I'll just follow Mekkah's rating. I'll even give him -0.5 bias because his sprite palette combo is just fucking ugly. So 3/10.

Also digging the reference. ;/

Edited by Colonel M

Oujay gets 2HKOd by just about everything while getting countered, no horse, inconsistent doubling with meh Str. I know he looks godly compared to Wendy but that doesn't actually make him any good.

3/10