Rate the Unit, Day 26: WENDY!

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Characters should be rated for their performance on all possible routes (A/B / Sacae/Ilia) but should not be penalized for routes they physically cannot exist on (z.B Juno in Sacae).

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Barth: 2.07

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Dorothy: 3.17

Lilina: 3.53

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Treck: 4.66

Oujay: 4.80

Lot: 5.40

Sue: 5.64

Ellen: 5.73

Lugh: 5.98

Noah: 6.13

Chad: 6.42

Astohl: 7.17

Saul: 7.18

Zealot: 7.56

Clarine: 7.78

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

Rutger: 9.61

On this day, 10 years ago, Sword of Seals was launched. Does a more fitting day to rate Wendy exist?

Also it's LUKA'S BIRTHDAY and this was irresistible.

side note: bullshit vote that i decided to keep left oujay > treck. what the hell

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wendy, Wendy, Wendy... Where should I begin...? Is it the 4 move in a GBA game with big maps? Or the godawful bases? Maybe the fact she's lancelocked with an axe heavy segment of the game right around the corner?? Whatever the reasons, she's absolutely pitiful. FFS, training her is a struggle even on Normal mode (however, this isn't about Normal mode). And to top it all off, she's practically impossible to train without the triangle attack (and I have better things to do with my unit slots than field three scrubby knights, especialy one who sucks ultramassively). And if you're masochistic enough to use her, bad growths ensure she stays useless. Using her is like shooting yourself in the heart (or at least shooting yourself in the foot so badly the bullet ricochets back into the gun and the gun explodes). I can't think of anyone else who can possibly be the worst character in the entire Fire Emblem series.

Because she's so pitiful... This is a perfect time to use this. emot-frogout.gif

0/10 (With all due respect, I'd actually go for a negative rating if possible, but as that wouldn't be allowed, a 0 is the next best thing.)

Edited by Metal King Slime

Hoo Boy Wendy.

Armor Knight in a game where Armor Knights suck

Lance Locked going into the Western Isles

Bases so poor that Nino looks mighty usable

No con, no defense, no anything

And can you believe someone requested I make her a 'Trainee' unit for my hack?

0.01/10

I refuse to give her a flat 0 because that's just who I am

I didn't know you can vote zeros.

Anyway, do I seriously need to elaborate on this one?

Low level, bad bases, bad joining situation, bad class. And bad growths just in case you are masochistic enough to actually use her. The only reason she is not the bottom of the barrel is that Sophia exist.

0,5/10

At least until I figure out if zeros are valid. Yay! :awesome:

Edited by BrightBow

to be perfectly honest, I don't like zeros and don't use them but I don't enforce that other people don't. I cut the line at 0 to 10.

Edited by Integrity

0/10. Wendy is terrible. She never hits anything and gets like, ORKO'd back. It doesnt help that she has terrible move, a fugly sprite (oh wait all FE6 chars do) and she has terrible bases and growths. Shes also lancelocked and super underleveled, thats unacceptable when the western isles are around the corner.

Edited by PKL

You know, I even though Wendy was insusceptible to hype.

Yet one day, I was proven wrong.

But Grandjackal wasn't the only person to hype Wendy up into something that's supposedly "beautiful". Lest we not forget our best friend, Inui, who even attempted to completely justify Wendy and her "awesomeness".

If you are under the impression that I view Wendy as anything but the second worst unit in the game, you are mistaken.

Also you guys assumed too much stuff and misinterpreted me, which made this annoying.

Which means Sophia is the worst, which whatever - arguable, but no one cares.

Edit: I just had Wendy gain one level as soon as she joined. Zealot didn't one-round the loldier with a hand axe, then it attacked Wendy as soon as she came out, and it died. Oujay lured in the Archer, Marcus hit it and didn't kill it, and then Wendy killed it. HOW CAN YOU EVER DO THAT WITH SOPHIA!? I don't understand, lol.
If she misses that Mage, she dies, and the kill needs to be set up for her. Wendy doesn't need kills set up. She can putz around and poke things since she has Hit that is over 50.
Wendy actually can be leveled to promotion. Sophia can't because she can't hit things and dies instantly from anything.
Why can't she be rescued and then dropped like everyone else? Also, she can fight the enemies to the left or something. Merc and a Myrm she can actually hit. Then she can just catch up eventually or never. Thany can get her. Whatever. The point is, she can gain EXP, Sophia can't.
There is none. Wendy is horrible.

My point, as it has been from the start, is that Wendy can gain EXP and Sophia can't, at least nowhere near reliably at all. Sophia needs to fight to get to 10/0 before promoting. How does she do this?

In the next chapter, there are Mercs. Even if the Mercs are rockin' 30 Evd, she has 46 Hit with a Javelin. Just tossing Javelins here and there and poking things with Slim/Iron like loldiers and Archers lets her gain EXP and weapon levels. She can eventually use an Axereaver.

Okay, cherry-picking and maybe slight strawmans, but I never understood why people love to argue Wendy vs. Sophia. It's like taking two bricks, smashing them against your head, and attempting to determine which one hurts more. FFS, Treck vs. Sophia had more legitimacy and (minor) entertainment value than the clusterfuck the former argument had.

There was also our good friend Trueblade, who posted this in the FE6 Tier List.

The 2nd person of the class group you get is often the best of the set, but there are always abnormalities. In order of superiority in the common class trios and duos or more in FE6:

Lance>Noah>Alan>Treck

Percival>Marcus>Zealot (Yes, Marcus is SECOND! Zealot is pretty much Sigurd, as in good starting stats, but ATROCIOUS growths)

Wolt>Klein>Dorothy>Igrene

Wendy>Bors>Douglas>Barth

Ellen>Saul>Yodel

Dieck>Oujay>Echidna (of course, Echidna's best in axes, but she's still a hero)

Lot>Ward>Bartre

Thany>Tate>Yuno (In my opinion, Yuno should NEVER be used)

Chad>Astol>Cath (Graded in dodge rate and ability to take a hit. Cath is best in the 1st, and Astol is best in the 2nd, but Chad has both in between)

Lilina>Lugh>Hugh (Hugh would be 2nd if not for his variable starting stats)

Clarine>Cecilia (FTLOG, Cecilia starts in a DESERT FOW LEVEL!!!)

Karel>Fir>Rutger (Karel is a Gotoh that gets an addition to all stats upon level up, so that makes him an automatic 1st)

Sue>Shin>Dayan

Gonzales>Geese>Garret

Sophia>Ray>Niime (Sophia's an Est, meaning automatic 1st)

Miledy>Zeiss (Miledy is balanced, while Zeiss is a winged General)

Also a random note... I didn't realize bblader made a return one day. Hmm... hopefully we can let the whole "bygones be bygones"? Who knows.

I don't think I need to really state more with this rating. Terrible unit, terrible growths, terrible bases, terrible class, terrible weapon ranks, terrible join time. Anyone who rates her above a 1/10 has to be an obnoxious dumb ass. I'm sorry, but I only speak the truth here. I would even dock her a point if I could... but she's already at a 0/10 and I don't think negative scores work so well.

0/10. Arguably the worst Fire Emblem character in the series.

Edited by Colonel M

Quite possibly the most abysmal character in FE history, which is a damn shame given that she's representing a grossly understaffed class for women.

But the truth hurts. You know what else hurts? Anything that attacks Wendy. For a class whose entire deal is "takes hits," not being able to do that is already a massive failure of role. Her base SPD is 3, her base HP is 19, her base DEF is 8. That means it takes a whopping 10 net Mt and 7 SPD to ORKO her. This is hardly an impossible feat, even for GBA-era enemies, especially in FE6 HM. She does get a little better... but only a little, and only if she gets every level she can, because an early promote just makes her that much more of a joke. And she won't gain any levels, because she's lance-locked, has 4 base STR and 3 base SKL, and her crap-ass durability.

If she were some kind of more balanced SPD/RES tank she might have a minor niche over Barth and Bors, but she can't even do that right; her RES is just as terrible as theirs and goes nowhere fast. She's almost impossible to raise, actively detrimental and endangered on her own forced map, and even if you do stick with her, you end up with a mediocre unit that has no movement.

0/10 is the only fair thing I can give her. I suppose you could try to argue Sophia is worse, but at least Sophia's not pretending to be a class that's supposed to be durable. You expect a girl in full plate armor to be able to eat a couple arrows.

Wendy. You're a fucking armour knight. You get onerounded by an archer on your joining chapter. What the hell.

Her bases are absolutely atrocioius. 8Def is on par with base Treck, and he comes with a horse, joins a chapter earlier, and has better stats in everything else. And yet, her class is supposed to be tankin'. It may be her non-hp best base stat, but that's not saying much as every one of her bases is absolutely shit. Her growths are mediocre, while they're fairly average by FE6's standards, they are not helping her get out of that rut any time soon. It doesn't help that she has 4 move, either, so she can't even keep up. On top of that, she can't even hit the fuckers accurately.

I've tried training her once. It was an all-girls playthrough and by my own arbitrary rules I had to use every female unit at least at some point. So maaaaaybe Wendy could be useful, since at that point I didn't have many combat units? WRONG. I painstakingly trained her to 10/2 and it was the biggest waste of a crest ever (although, at least she was the only female crest user so eh). Lilina, whom I trained alongside her, was twice easier. That should be saying something. It was full of pain, and even as a growth unit if you baby her to death, she's not worth it.

Wendy, I really like you as a character. I like how you are the first female captain of an Ostian AK squad, and that's pretty cool in my books. But why do you just suck so fucking much?

0/10. +.5 bias. Would be 1 bias usually on character but the pain it took me to get her to 10/2 takes that down half a point.

.5/10.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I just invented a new playing style.

It's called "spend as many turns as needed on chapter 8 to get Wendy to level 20, promote her, then treat her like another Jeigan". She actually turns out not terrible. Decent, even.

7/10

I guess it's a 1/10 if you only accept non-absurd styles.

An armor that gets ORKO'd by archers on their joining chapter is a horrible armor.

0/10 (I find her better than Sophia, at least Sophia eats sleep staves and gets you a ring)

Dammit... Had such a good rant too. I'll just post the closure, since the rest has been said.

In the world I live in, a quarter, or .25 cents, is represented by President George Washington. With this, I can get a gumball from the grocery store. Therefore, a gumball costs .25

a ball of gum / 10

Also known as the 'how low of a rating is it possible for a character to get?' thread. Normally I would not give a zero, because in general, no matter how bad a character is, they could conceivably be used for something. Sophia, for instance, can theoretically maybe chip in the desert if she happens to hit something. Not so for Wendy. The one thing you can possibly argue she does is break that wall, but... if I gave her a 0.01/10, it would still imply that breaking that wall is contributing 1/1000 as much as Marcus, and that just isn't true. She will never hit anything and will be doubled forever, and it's basically impossible to level her even if you wanted to. As someone who actively likes units for being bad (seriously, I constantly try to use Meg, Fiona, Wil, Amelia, etc.), I still can't do it. She has worse bases than Bors, who is already a terrible unit, and comes 8 chapters later.

It's too bad, really. I like the idea of female armor knights, and I like her portrait, but when you are this bad that still doesn't earn you a bias point. 0/10.

Edited by Recondite

I lack the words to accurately describe Wendy's terribleness.

She's the worst class in the game, fails to even fit the characteristics of said class and comes terribly underleveled with terrible bases and mediocre growths lance-locked with shitty durability right before a massive axe-fest. She gets ORKO'd by most enemies and her only 1-2-range weapon is so shitty that it hardly helps in raising her at all. Her promotion - despite the great boni - doesn't fix this in the slightest.

At least Sophia can eat a guiding ring after somehow getting to Lv10 and act as a heal-bot. Wendy can't even do that.

0/10.

-0.5 bias because she's a disgrace to female FE characters.

-> -0.5/10

(If half a negative point isn't ok, just ignore the bias modifier)

I haven't used her yet, but what I do know is that Wendy is almost fucking impossible to train, given her absolutely atrocious start. Let's see, 19HP/4str/3spd/8def? THIS IS BEYOND SHIT! And she's lancelocked at a point in the game where the field is predominantly axes, some of which can actually flat-out OHKO her! Oh, and her growths don't get her out of her rut fast enough(or at all, really).

WORST. FE UNIT. EVER!

0, and that's actually being VERY generous. Since if I could, I'd give her a -9001/10.