Rate the Unit, Day 14: Lethe

Dat Rules (As run by PKL, but borrowed from Integrity, and RTU without rules originally created by me, Elieson)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.154

Shinon: 3

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Mist: 6.413

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Marcia: 9.36

Titania: 9.91

This one is on me, PKL. Welcome back to college life!

Anyway, first Laguz (along with Mordecai), is more quick and skillful than her bulldozing counterpart. Has a crap affinity and worthless support (LolHeaven). But she's quick, and starts the fight transformed. It's stupid though, because she untransforms in the middle of a sticky situation, more often than not.

She does provide the shiny Beorc Guard though, and that's nice for any Laguz unit in the history of ever.

4 for this one. She's just not that great IMO. Outclassed by units that can 1~2 range, or blast through oncoming enemies like a fat woman at an all you can eat buffet (Mordecai, I'm looking at you)

Edited by Elieson

Very useful early on, transforms right from the start, can kill pretty well for quite a while and is speedy. She also demands almost nothing in terms of resources. She doesn't even need to transform early, what with the whole "already does that at the start" thing she's got going. Sure, she eventually untransforms, but at least she doesn't dick around at the start of the map waiting to do something.

She also has damn good supports, even if she's not the best partner. Ike probably doesn't want her but he can have her, so that's an Earth right there. Jill, Muarim, and Ranulf are all super fast-building supports, so there's bound to be somebody she can hook up with. A bit strange that she's always hanging out with Mordecai yet they don't support one another. Oh well.

7/10

Unlike her FE10 counterpart, Lethe has lots of Earlygame utility. She insta-transforms on the first PP, and can immediately run around and kill things. The gauge in this game is a little nicer to Lethe, so she can actually fight for a little while longer. She dodgetanks and doubles forever, making her a very important asset in earlygame. Once Beorc units catch up, Lethe falls behind, and she's not good enough to last long in Endgame, even with instant transformation.

6/10

Edited by Laurence Olivier

5.5/10. Starts the fight transformed, which is nice, albeit that means she tends to revert when things are heating up. At least the exp formula and gauge were MUCH nicer to her here than in RD...

Transformed when it matters, in turn 1-5. Joins early and is basically Titania without 2 range for those first 5 turns. Good growths, bases and movement. Suck support bonus but at least has Ike and Jill in her list. Also IMO the most attractive female in PoR.

7/10

Lethe, the laguz warrior with a streak of severity when it comes to the beorc.

Pros:

First joining laguz.

Speedy as fuck all.

ok strength.

good bases.

Character development.

Good transformation time.

Cons:

Support bonuses are eehh.

A bit tough to gain levels early on.

Lethe is actually a pretty good unit in this game. (unlike the sequel) Shes got high move, good bases, good transformation time, and shes got a decent story going for her. Since she transforms at the beginning of each chapter, shes gonna see more action and sooner. Shes dodgy and likes to murder. Her supports are cool in terms of conversations because we get a real insight with her beef with beorc and stuff, but the bonuses arent much to write home about. Shes treated like a prepromote in terms of experience gains, so when we first get her, shes not gaining a ton of EXP. Later chapters, this isnt that much of an issue. Shes just pretty solid all around.

8/10. 9/10 bias because i like her in this game with her character development.

Love Lethe's power when she joins. Early transform, potent offense, and generally will get through most of the map before shifting back. Only problem is that, at about chapter 20 or so, she makes a serious plummet when the team upgrades to Silver weapons while she remains stuck with what is basically a steel sword. Heaven isn't too hot of a supporting element either for anyone.

8/10 for early/midgame

5/10 for late game

7/10 overallish?

5.5 Comes early enough to be useful and has great movement. Howeve,r being a laguz means she has all the cons involved with transformation. Admittedly hers is one of the more convenient. She also falls behind later. I'd rather just have a good beorc unit.

Lethe is the first laguz you get (right alongside Mordecai), and I used her a lot when I first started PoR. She's solid, she rarely dies, and her only real weakness is fire. If you let her, she can eat up the entire earlygame and part of midgame as well. But ... that's not really a good idea. For one, laguz transform between fighting forms and non-fighting forms, so they're useless once their gauge runs out. Lethe is no exception. Also, Lethe herself becomes a bit shaky near latergame (like Titania, I took her to endgame at least once). Also, perhaps Lethe would be more valued if she showed up earlier in the game, before we get BEXP, but at the point in the game we get her, Titania is still functional, Boyd and Oscar are becoming functional, and we have BEXP to shove into units who need it. She's not all that mandatory, and that gauge does hurt her a bit.

6/10, because she can help out in midgame and still be solid enough to do it, but that gauge hurts her as well as her slowing down near endgame. Plus, she's not around in earlygame, when you'd probably need her the most.

Transformed when it matters, in turn 1-5. Joins early and is basically Titania without 2 range for those first 5 turns. Good growths, bases and movement. Suck support bonus but at least has Ike and Jill in her list. Also IMO the most attractive female in PoR.

7/10

What I was thinking. Except for Lethe being the most attractive female in FE9, since that title goes to either Marcia or Mia for me. XD.gif

7/10

She is amazing when she first joins, but then proceeds to gradually lose her glamour when the beorc begin to catch up with her. However, it always irks me that the Laguz have to return to the human state after a few turns :/ But she can really be helpful in the beginning.

PROS:

-Strong start

-High movement

-Shoves stuff

CONS:

-Untransforms

-Stuck with a weak weapon

-No 2 range attacks

-Has serious late/endgame issues

Even though Lethe is statistically one of your best units when she joins, depending on how much combat she sees, she is only useful for 3-5 turns per Chapter. After that, she can only shove stuff. Lethe is great for about 10 Chapters and then she becomes outclassed by everyone and really shouldn't be deployed for anything other than shove utility. Her lack of 2 range attacking makes her combat similar to the Swordmasters, however they get better stats and weapons.

3.5/10 - She just fills-in while we are waiting for Kieran, Jill, Astrid, Makalov, and Tanith.