Rate the Unit, Day 11: Jill

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode (JP Maniac).

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Savior to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Skills can be reassigned freely.

- No transfers.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Meg: 1.341

Leonardo: 2.531

Ilyana: 3.75

Aran: 4.926

Laura: 5.139

Edward: 6.316

Micaiah: 6.5

Volug: 8.875

Nolan: 9.069

Sothe: 8.938

Alright bases, and uses axes, mounted and flies and has awesome caps.

Oh, and makes very good use of the drop/draco/robe combo.

Needs a forge, but hell-why not?

Also, can go with the GMs, but that's kinda redundent,

They have Haar after all.

Also, her growths allow her to be epic lategame and tower.

So, 8.5/10 and bias pushing it to 9.5/10.

Might suprise you, but Jill has never been that great of a unit for me. Joins somewhat overleveled, and quickly falls behind... I've heard she can be amazing if properly trained though. For that case, I give her a [Deleted]5.0/10

Edited by Melonhead215

Might suprise you, but Jill has never been that great of a unit for me. Joins somewhat overleveled, and quickly falls behind... I've heard she can be amazing if properly trained though. For that case, I give her a 5/10.

That does suprise me. It suprises me so much that I'm going to say Jill doesn't deserve a 5/10 and you haven't convinced me that she does.

Jill, the daughter of Shiharam and apparently has a..."wyvern delivery service" with Haar. So thats what the kids are calling it these days...

Pros:

FLIER!

OK bases.

Great growths.

Good base level.

Cons:

HP is lowwww....

REALLY likes having transfers.

Jill is a pretty welcome addition to the DBs. And HOW! She flies and axes things in the face. Her strength is a bit low at first but...can get really stupidly high after awhile. Shes super mobile and can save yer bum especially in 1-6 and in part 3. She likes having transfers though. That helps her get going nicely. Shes not bad without them but she can get screwed by the RNG without them. Shes a good contender for one of them Master Seals you get.

Shes also the first of the two units you get where you can actually fuck yourself over with. Meaning, she can defect away from the DBs. While on the GM side, she might see better training but will really deal a blow to the DBs. Big time. The other unit in question, not as much. So its better to keep Jill on the DB team to keep them from being destroyed. Jill makes good use of Paragon and once she gets some levels into her in second tier, her defense gets cray cray. Cats are tinking her and tigers do very little damage. But of course, thats if shes being fed with Paragon murder. But hey, Killer axes exist in part 3. :smug:

Overall, Jill is kinda awesome to have around and basically has potential to be come Haar Lite with more speed and better res. If shes not at an assy level, her part 4 is good and not a bad Urvan choice for endgame.

8.5/10. 9/10 bias because Jill murders things on my runs. Plus shes totally got a thing with Haar!

Edited by Florina

Might suprise you, but Jill has never been that great of a unit for me. Joins somewhat overleveled, and quickly falls behind... I've heard she can be amazing if properly trained though. For that case, I give her a 5/10.

I dont think this counts as much of a reasoning. Im tempted to toss it into the trash can. What do you all think?

She's a flying axe-user with good growths, and also the only flying player unit for the Dawn Brigade chapters. She might want a +5MT Iron axe forge to help her offense, and a Seraph Robe so she can fight a little more. She has one of the best uses of Paragon during the DB chapters due to her high movement and canto, allowing her to see more combat.

8.5/10

I dont think this counts as much of a reasoning. Im tempted to toss it into the trash can. What do you all think?

No rule against it though PEMN. On average and even slightly below that Jill is solid.

Edited by Daigoji Excellen

I would only because on average, that reasoning is wrong. :/ I usually dont mention stuff like this but...knowing how a character performs on average even without transfers and excessive babying or love, i know for DAMN sure Jill is worth more than a five.

Chuck it out.

Jill's solid throughout the game, only flaws are average-ish bases, and not being in 1-8.

Otherwise, she's awesome

7/10. She's helpful, what with being the only flyer the DB gets, though those bases are pretty underwhelming without transfers.

But hey, Killer axes exist in part 3.

...And they completely suck because RD enemy luck is just too high. Better to use a steel heavy or what have you than to gamble on a killer.

Edited by Metal King Slime

I'm actually with Melonhead here. Jill has never turned into a great unit for me, and it may be because I've never been able to use transfers (I have the US RD but the PAL PoR, go figure). She seems to always be weighed down by her weapon type, and for me she's always had accuracy issues; on top of that, her strength is strangely low. This means that I have to make a forge for her, which typically ends up being quite expensive, and I'm too busy trying to make forges for everyone else who isn't doing well. Then Jill kind of isn't there for a lot of Part 1 - actually, you only have her for, what, 3 chapters? And in one of them she's got that ungodly movement penalty, so I usually don't bother taking her into that chapter, especially since there are archers on the ledges and mages above that, so she kind of dies really easily there. Even her Tier 1 level 20 averages show that she's still getting weighed down by axes.

Then Part 3 comes, and hopefully you managed to get her promoted - I have trouble doing this. At this point you're torn between using her Steel Axe Forge (which is running out) to completely destroy stuff and let other enemies attack her - never a good idea - or using that Brave Axe and doing marginal damage. Even at this point for me she's still having major Hit issues due to her somewhat low skill and axes. By 3-13 I've not been able to use her much and so she's kind of lagging behind Edward and Nolan in levels and her offense just seems to be getting worse and worse. Then Part 4 comes and despite her having flying utility in a desert chapter (which is where I'd assume you'd put her) she's pretty much doing chip damage and doesn't have enough Def/HP to take a few hits, constantly needing Haar to cover her. She still hasn't capped enough stats at this point for me to make BEXP useful, and so I end up being forced to not use her because she hasn't caught up.

6/10 from me. Useful in limited situations, like taking out those pesky pegasi in 1-6-1 but that's about it for me. Sorry Jill, I loved you in PoR, but you are just too damn weak in RD.

Edited by Agromono

7/10

Pretty good growths but her bases are a bit lacking. That can be eliminated with the transfer, but her hp is still pretty low. I always have some difficulty training her and can never get her promoted before the begining chapters of part 3. But she has a flying lizard, so that automatically makes her cool.

Jill 9.5/10

There are only 2 units in the entire DB that don't have issues in Part 1, they are BK and Sothe. The laguz lack 2 range or availability, characters are prone to Rng screwage and most have tough time surviving, even Zihark. Jill's selling point her flight, and unlike Vika she stays. She'll need a robe and can use other boosts effectively. Has good caps, high move, and after some training she works out very well throughout the game. Sothe's potential stops at the end of part 1, his 22 str cap being ineffective for Part 3. So the player needs a main fighter and she's one of the best candidates. Zihark's poor experience gain and durability are inferior to what Jill offers. Volug only needs strike so Nolan and Jill are the best choices for BEXP + forges and training. I consider her Haar-lite.

Axes are incredibly cheap so a max MT forge with hit bonus would serve her nicely and not costly at all ^^' and she's entitled to the Brave Axe, Nolan has Tarvos.

Edited by Queen_Emelina

I'm going to do a playthrough focusing on Jill sooner or later.. I don't use her because I use Haar much more often-It's a rarity that he isn't in my top 5 units.

Edited by Melonhead215

give jill ALL the resources and watch her rape 8/10

I can't give her Tarvos...

...But what dondon said. Jill kind of requires a lot of attention placed onto her, which possibly means some sacrifice on Nolan (and maybe Volug's) performances, but she's pretty awesome with said resources on her. With that being said, she's a rockhouse if trained in Part 4 and possibly competent enough to bring to Endgame. Between Nolan, Jill, Volug, Zihark, Edward, and Aran, Jill is probably the first unit you should seriously consider training, followed by either Nolan or Volug (2 range and Mastery in Part 4 vs. S(S) Strike madness and workable bases). I guess if I was doing my character rating I'd go further in-depth... but... since I'm not...

I would have to go with dondon's 8/10, though give her a 0.5 because red-head Dragon riders are pretty bad ass.

8.5/10.

Edited by Colonel M

Jill is better to focus on using high mt/forged weapons. Since enemies have high luck in this game. Better gamble over Killer. She flies, has good growths, will turn out better than Haar if enough work is brought into her. It is best to send her over to Ike's group in 3-7 to get her better trained for Part IV. If some of ur DB got screwed, then it might be considerable to leave her in the DB. Up to u. Has more availability than most characters.

9.5/10

Edited by リンダ

Jill is better to focus on using high mt/forged weapons. Since enemies have high luck in this game. Better gamble over Killer. She flies, has good growths, will turn out better than Haar if enough work is brought into her. It is best to send her over to Ike's group in 3-7 to get her better trained for Part IV.

Doublefacepalm.jpg

High enemy luck is exactly why Killers suck in RD (not to mention they're not nearly effective enough to justify the exorbitant price tag). Also, sending Jill over to the mercenaries is shooting yourself in the foot so badly the gun explodes after the bullet ricochets back in it. Seriously, you're already looked at unfavorably amongst FE unit debaters, and contradicting yourself like this is NOT helping your case one bit.

Edited by Metal King Slime