Rate the Unit, Day 17: Navarre

Guess I'll take over this one while Narshen is MIA.

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Darros: 2.45

Gordin: 3.11

Bord: 4.37

Cord: 4.87

Castor: 5.54

Wrys: 5.92

Marth: 6.33

Julian: 6.60

Jagen: 6.98

Draug: 7.12

Ogma: 7.56

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Lena: 9.26

Barst: 9.40

Sheeda: 9.89

Navarre, Simply put, the obligatory early game Myrmidon. C-swords and good speed, but mediocre defense and just slightly above average, which seriously, dissappoints in this game, when you have Ogma and Barst right behind you, and Generals 3 chapters away.

I'll give him a 5.5. He's not as useful as Marth, I think, but he's a decent unit all around. He just never becomes great, like his "past" indicates that he should be.

He has bad RES

0/10

Dat 0 base RES

Dat 30 maxiumum RES growth as a mancleric and 0 as any fighter

oh and i hate his face too

Edited by Folgore Blue

5/10

He may have set the myrmidon archetype back in one (without even being a myrmidon) but he is kinda not very good this time around. His defense is iffy and you rely on dodging to survive. Plus he isn't the strongest sword user, which isn't good. But he still set the standards for an archetype and is still usable.

He's a little slow when reclassed due to his personal speed base of 0, but he does have C in swords which allows him to use the armorslayer right off the bat. His defense is pretty bad too.

4.5/10

Guess I'll take over this one while Narshen is MIA.

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Darros: 2.45

Gordin: 3.11

Bord: 4.37

Cord: 4.87

Castor: 5.54

Wrys: 5.92

Marth: 6.33

Julian: 6.60

Jagen: 6.98

Draug: 7.12

Ogma: 7.56

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Lena: 9.26

Barst: 9.40

Sheeda: 9.89

Navarre, Simply put, the obligatory early game Myrmidon. C-swords and good speed, but mediocre defense and just slightly above average, which seriously, dissappoints in this game, when you have Ogma and Barst right behind you, and Generals 3 chapters away.

I'll give him a 5.5. He's not as useful as Marth, I think, but he's a decent unit all around. He just never becomes great, like his "past" indicates that he should be.

Sorry man... I was going to get back to this... Thank you regardless though! This really does prove that i had to maintain this... Damn it 13th...

I shall give him a 5 since he is a bit average...

He has bad RES

0/10

Dat 0 base RES

Dat 30 maxiumum RES growth as a mancleric and 0 as any fighter

oh and i hate his face too

Try again with that one...

Edited by *Narshen*

Navarre, the namer and codifier for his "enemy Myrmidon with the Killing Edge" archetype.

He's a good unit to use against earlygame bosses such as Hyman. Unfortunately, that's all he has going for him. His mediocre stats are going to turn someone off in regards to actually using him. Don't get me wrong, his speed is good, which is the main reason why earlygame bosses are what he's good at. But unfortunately, he has meh durability and isn't likely to stick around for deployment for long because of it. He's usable, but that's about it. It's good to see where the Navarre Archetype came from though.

4/10

Try again with that one...

Nuh-uh! Elie's doing Navarre, and he said it counted! You can pick up with Matthis!

Nuh-uh! Elie's doing Navarre, and he said it counted! You can pick up with Matthis!

I usually tally up the scores right before doing the next character so unless i get a good rating from you, I won't count your score!

You can do what you want from this point on but if you want that score to be included in the tallying, Try... Again!

Whether it counted or not, don't you think 0/10 is even the slightest bit unreasonable? Topics like these ask for how you feel a character does as a unit, not whether or not you dislike their looks, personality, 20/20 stats, or if Die For Our Ship is involved in your inherent dislike. Even though I only started participating in these topics just recently, you wouldn't see me give someone like Florina a 0/10 rating, would you? And this is considering the fact that to say that she's not one of my favorite FE characters would be understating it.

5 + 1 because he started the archetype I love, 6/10

He's got C swords, good speed and decent strength I guess. Now most of the units in this game are frail unless you reclass the knight/general, so holding that against Navarre is stupid. Now what kind of irks me is that mediocre strength- it really needs to get better. He's better off stuck in his original class because any other class makes him too slow. So he's not really... flexible. >.<

He can go on wheels, and mobile Armorslayer is awesome early. He can go back to not-on-a-horse on those chapters that don't really need an Armorslayer (see: Chapter 9).

5.5/10

Y'all are no fun. I'm serious. :/

Navarre isn't getting a "good rating". He doesn't deserve it. I can make an attempt at a justifiable one, to please you people who can't have fun.

His strength blows, his HP is subpar, his bases are not to great, his best stat is lolskill, he's slow as anything but a myrm, and myrms suck in this game. Apparantly everyone cares about the armourslayer all of a sudden. I'd rather give it to Ogma, or even better have Hammertime Barst/Bord. and his res sucks He has the lamest personality ever, and manages to contradict himself in the game the only chapter he talks in. And I still hate his face. Also you need to go through the effort of recruiting him, so you can take his killing edge and then bench him the next chapter.

tl;dr fuck you navarre

3/10

- bias

2/10

He can go on wheels, and mobile Armorslayer is awesome early. He can go back to not-on-a-horse on those chapters that don't really need an Armorslayer (see: Chapter 9).

5.5/10

Why am I so lazy on DS ratings

anyway this but 6.5 since +1 bias I like long hair on a guy :P

I've used the fucker on more difficult modes anyway and made it work so w/e

Edited by Luminescent Blade

His absolute base skill and speed are both 0. All his skill and speed essentially come from the myrm class.

28 damage as a cavalier before defense subtraction isn't something to sneeze at against armors. I don't mind his bases, because he can stay in his base class for 40% Skill and 50% Speed (where Skill in this game isn't as important as FE12), or he can go to Cavalier for more movement that any class B male will see before promotion. He's fairly easy to recruit, too. Just make sure to disarm him on the phase you get him so he doesn't die of awesome.

What happened! You used to be good in FE3!

Navarre has one big problem, he either lacks strength or speed, and is torn between the two of them by going Cavalier or Myrm. That sword rank is nice, really nice, but it's going to be a while before he can double/hurt someone. He comes early, I guess that's nice!

4/10

28 damage as a cavalier before defense subtraction isn't something to sneeze at against armors. I don't mind his bases, because he can stay in his base class for 40% Skill and 50% Speed (where Skill in this game isn't as important as FE12), or he can go to Cavalier for more movement that any class B male will see before promotion. He's fairly easy to recruit, too. Just make sure to disarm him on the phase you get him so he doesn't die of awesome.

Well due to the (not so) overwhelming amount of armours in this game before Port Warren, Navarre is charging ahead as a cavalier with armourslayer in tow, doing respectable damage for a few chapters' bosses, and getting faceraped right back, before dealing the final of a 2, 3, our even 4 HKO.

'cause Navarre's the only unit who'll be at the boss, ever.

Considering Cain is at Dswords base, 2 chapters earlier, fighting mostly axe fighters (and the occasional bowman), it is completely possible to have Cain up front with the Armorslayer too.

Granted, if this is a draft.setting, Navarre x Cain are the only 2 ridicufast options.

In a game where big part of cast sucks, having a niche is good

I have huge bias towards him

6/10

Considering Cain is at Dswords base, 2 chapters earlier, fighting mostly axe fighters (and the occasional bowman), it is completely possible to have Cain up front with the Armorslayer too.

Granted, if this is a draft.setting, Navarre x Cain are the only 2 ridicufast options.

If iron lance weren't so much superior to iron sword and Armourslayer!Cain costing us Javelin!Cain, I would consider this option

Edited by Shoptimus Prime

Y'all are no fun. I'm serious. :/

Navarre isn't getting a "good rating". He doesn't deserve it. I can make an attempt at a justifiable one, to please you people who can't have fun.

His strength blows, his HP is subpar, his bases are not to great, his best stat is lolskill, he's slow as anything but a myrm, and myrms suck in this game. Apparantly everyone cares about the armourslayer all of a sudden. I'd rather give it to Ogma, or even better have Hammertime Barst/Bord. and his res sucks He has the lamest personality ever, and manages to contradict himself in the game the only chapter he talks in. And I still hate his face. Also you need to go through the effort of recruiting him, so you can take his killing edge and then bench him the next chapter.

tl;dr fuck you navarre

3/10

- bias

2/10

This is still unacceptable!

What about Jeigan?

This is still unacceptable!

The fuck?