Exalted Legacy: REQUEST TOPIC

Arch

Introduction

I come to you, the people of Serenes, a desperate, lowly hacker. A man walking through a desert devoid of my own artistic talent, in need of your pixels.

A bit over-dramatic of a start, yeah, but...I need spritez! What for? Well, I've got this new hack, see; a revamp of FE1, The Legend of Marth. I can't sprite worth a damn, all I'm good for is writing and hacking. And hey, I'm happy with those talents, but it leaves me in sort of a predicament when it comes to this sorta stuff. So, I'm hoping to get some help to make this project a beautiful pixelated work. If you've got a favorite character from the Archanea series that you feel inspired to sprite, go for it!

The Compilation Sheet
Naturally I fucked with the characters' ordering a bit so that their recruitments weren't spoiled and redacted some stuff.

Some Guidelines

Right now I'm focusing on the early-game units, since I need their sprites much quicker, but feel free to do whomever you'd like (I'll just hope you're all huge fans of the early units tongue.gif).

You don't have to strictly copy the FEDS designs; you can look at the TCG arts and original official art for some retro inspiration. There's plenty of room for creativity, I'd love to have some new iterations of the characters too. In fact, I'd even prefer it if the FEDS mugs weren't too heavily referenced. The proportions are different than GBAFE's standards, and some of the poses (especially those fucking "look at the camera" ones) feel awkward in this new style. Just a few nitpicks, but easy errors to avoid by simply not copying the FEDS mugs directly into GBA style. Most importantly, just feel free to get creative. If you've got a pretty big redesign you want to do, just run the concept by me first through PM.

Company Policy

I'd just like to run through a few standard practices. There are, of course, certain standards of quality to which I aspire. Simple splices are not what we're looking for, although I appreciate the effort put into them. We reserve the right to reject submissions for issues of quality.

On the other end of the spectrum, if something is almost there, but could use a few stylistic changes or touch-ups, we will run it through you. If you can clean things up yourself, that's fantastic. If you'd rather not (or cannot), I'm going to have a quality control team in place to deal with these sorts of issues. If you're vehemently opposed to having others edit your work, I understand. I would hope, however, that spriters would keep an open mind about such things; it's not any sort of insult to your talents, it's simply that we want to improve your work even further. We reserve the right to edit sprites for issues of quality.

And Last But Not Least, Thank You

No, seriously. I mean it. As I said before, I've got no talent when it comes to this stuff. Even still, I love making games. Hacking is a fun hobby of mine; I love to be able to transform my ideas into a reality, I love being able to create, to be able to create things that people enjoy. However, I'm nothing without support from the artistic community. It's supported me strongly in the past, and I'm hoping for some luck the second time around. Seriously, my work would be nothing without the artists that choose to lend a hand. If you take time to work on sprites for this project; thank you. It means a lot to have that kind of support. I'll do my best to create a game that's worthy of your art!

And, without further adieu, let the pixelation begin! Edited by Arch

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kinds of limitations are there to sprites which are insertable into GBA's format? I'm figuring that at least, there's a 16-colour palette, and the size is limited. Are images made with standard editors using standard formats usable? Are colours made with three or six bytes? I've heard something about a GBA colour picker, so I'd assume three

I've never done any spriting for GBA FE's, but I don't think I'm that terrible in general spriting, since I've done it quite a bit. At least I can make a base for someone to clean up, if nothing else.

Edited by Piss Macho Macho Macho

Okay, I've got a question. I can do custom clothes and stuff like that fairly easily/decently (especially if I can resize to get an outline for mah proportions to be lined up right) but I really suck at hair.

Soooo were I to contribute to this project, would it be possible for me to do most of the sprite and then have someone else do the hair/other fixes to fit their style, etc?

MarthFormat.png

Still needs a chibi, I'll get that to ya later.

hair could probably use a couple tweaks if any of the more experienced spriters are willing to take a crack at it.

PS: To the people who edited my Sheeda/Caeda sprite without asking permission or so much as informing me, I'll let it slide this once, because it does look better.

Edited by Harbinger

I was wondering, how exactly are we supposed to create mugs for the new characters? Are you just going to let people create different mugs and pick whichever one fits best, or do you have a specific idea as to what you want them to look like?

PS: To the people who edited my Sheeda/Caeda sprite without asking permission or so much as informing me, I'll let it slide this once, because it does look better.

We reserve the right to edit sprites for issues of quality.

Isn't it like, you know, just like the FE4 Advance submission policy? You submit it, they will inform you eventually, but you're relinquishing the whole "you can't edit it unless you tell me EVERYTHING" at the door, aren't you?

So yeah, that was me. I'm sorry if i offended you, i just felt like giving her a nihvamp, since i thought she could use wider shoulders and a different expression. xD

I'm sorreeeeeeh </3

Nayr is right about this, he should have been informed before it had been altered.

On the other end of the spectrum, if something is almost there, but could use a few stylistic changes or touch-ups, we will run it through you.

From the OP.

It seems unethical to do so without letting him know, especially since it is in the original post. I am sure if it were one of The Blind Archer's or Jellybean's sprites that had been altered without permission, they'd be a bit unhappy as well.

Do try to follow what you say, yeah? :)

Of course, no harm was meant by it and our dear Ponih did apologize so I think we're all good. :)

Just my two cents~

Edited by Wicked Witch of the East

It seems unethical to do so without letting him know, especially since it is in the original post. I am sure if it were one of The Blind Archer's or Jellybean's sprites that had been altered without permission, they'd be a bit unhappy as well.

I appreciate your butting-in to this, Ms. Moderator, but I'd just like to let you know that this occurred before those rules were established. His Caeda was the first submission, and a friend of mine saw it and improved it. There hadn't been a decided structure on how to handle these things yet, so it was sort of like "go ahead and I'll work it out later." Definitely not the best way to handle these things, obviously, but it was a bit chaotic with setting everything up. Nevertheless, I'll do my best to ensure anything of the sort never happens again. It was unethical, but don't buy into this bullshit where he's pretending to have just found out with seeing this topic or whatever. It should come as no surprise to him. I told him what was happening; he was informed, albeit retroactively, of the edits before they went public.

I thought we'd resolved this in private already, Nayr. We literally had this discussion like...two days ago. I see no reason for it to be brought out into the public discourse like this, to make hay out of a conflict that's already been resolved. I've already apologized, and you've already accepted that. "To the people," you already knew that Niharu did it, I told you that when I showed you the edits two days ago. This whole thing was in the past before you even posted about it. Why derail the topic and start drama over this nonsense?

Edited by Arch

duhhhelice.png

hi arch i made a elice sprite but i dno if you wnat it??? btw i don't want any feedback i am done with working on this. also nice sig XD

Edited by Agro

duhhhelice.png

hi arch i made a elice sprite but i dno if you wnat it??? btw i don't want any feedback i am done with working on this. also nice sig XD

A recolor of Eleanora isn't Elice. Arch said he wasn't taking obvious splices, so I don't think a simple recolor is gonna fly.

A recolor of Eleanora isn't Elice. Arch said he wasn't taking obvious splices, so I don't think a simple recolor is gonna fly.

Why? It's perfectly legit. I mean, like, LOOK AT THE QUALITY OF THAT RECOLOR.

It. Is. GAWJUS. That blue is simply divine. Its vibrancy, the contrast - everything is perfect.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

I appreciate your butting-in to this, Ms. Moderator, but I'd just like to let you know that this occurred before those rules were established. His Caeda was the first submission, and a friend of mine saw it and improved it. There hadn't been a decided structure on how to handle these things yet, so it was sort of like "go ahead and I'll work it out later." Definitely not the best way to handle these things, obviously, but it was a bit chaotic with setting everything up. Nevertheless, I'll do my best to ensure anything of the sort never happens again. It was unethical, but don't buy into this bullshit where he's pretending to have just found out with seeing this topic or whatever. It should come as no surprise to him. I told him what was happening; he was informed, albeit retroactively, of the edits before they went public.

Sorry, I was unaware. :P

Just got to make sure there's no unnecessary drama over silly things~

duhhhelice.png

I especially like the bit of light purple left in the hair. It is absolutely stunning. <3