I need some help with creating some custom weapons:

I'm trying to create a new magic sword and it seemed that it could be done easily, but when theweapon is used, it doesn't follow the rules of the magic triangle like the other magic swords do.

It doesn't look like it could be fixed with Nightmare Modules alone, and (as far as I know) no one has asked this before but is there a way to make it work like a dark tome when used?

post-14997-0-05828400-1431482529_thumb.png

if it's a sword, it's not a part of the magic triangle; it can't be a sword and a tome at the same time

Light brand acts as a light tome at far, FYI

Yeah, but the other magic swords follow the magic triangle (the Light Brand IS effective againts dark magic if used at long range), but for some reason this one doesn't work like them, instead it behaves like a normal range weapon (just like a javelin).

Light brand acts as a light tome at far, FYI

Yeah, but the other magic swords follow the magic triangle (the Light Brand IS effective againts dark magic if used at long range), but for some reason this one doesn't work like them, instead it behaves like a normal range weapon (just like a javelin).

then it's probably some weird hardcoded thing

I'm willing to bet that what you want can only be achieved with code

Well, if that's the case it means that code it's located in a different part of the ROM's data because I tried to copy the runesword's code where the new sword's code is and it's still not working like it should...

Super Sentret, I believe Icecube made a patch which might do something similar what it is that you want to achieve. I believe this patch sets up a table that effectively transforms a weapon type into another at range. I'm not entirely sure how to set it up and it might require a bit of intermediate know-how on your end, but maybe someone else here can you you advice on how to do that.

Well, this would do it (if I can figure out how to set it up, of course), but, does it matter that this module is supposed to be used on FE7? Because I'm doing this on FE8...

It should matter for FE8 over FE7 but not by too much if you can hack the ASM code as it's just a matter of finding where to put the routine and making sure the registers are correct. In the coming weeks I'm going to be looking into solving this issue so if I manage to do so I'll share it here, but that won't be for awhile. If anyone else wants to give it a shot in the meantime, go for it.

Edited by Blademaster!

Since what you want is only altering the weapon type, IMO this patch is enough.

This patch will allow you to edit weapon type at range or meele (or both).

This patch also allow you to set some weapons to use their ranged animation on meele attack.

Weapon EXP is set for original weapon (Lightbrand will not get light wexp on range).

Note that this patch does NOT modify battle formula such as STR/2, 0 crt, etc.

This patch also allow you to set some weapons to use their ranged animation on meele attack.

Weapon EXP is set for original weapon (Lightbrand will not get light wexp on range).

I think the animation patch might be working fine, but the spell one causes the weapon level up notification to always play after battle (no weapon level is gained).

Also, I'm not sure what's causing it yet, but in my hacked rom(the previously mentioned error is present in the clean rom) one of my units(the 5th one in deployment if it helps?) had their class change after battle to become a class that resets the game when you hover over them. When I have more time I'll try and see what is causing this error, since your patch didn't seem like it should conflict with anything I've done so far as the affected areas were the same as the clean ROM.

I found something rather strange, right now Eirika's supposed to use swords and magic (I used the Special/Physical split patch and I'm going to check if this relates to this glitch) but every weapon she uses gives her Lance Experience instead. That and the weapon level up pop up is really annoying...

It's definitely hardcoded somewhere, considering all of the other hardcoded assembly for the three base magic swords (see the pastebin below).

Would it be worth comparing data to the FE8!Wind Sword?

Ooh, ooh, I might be able to help here! (Maybe.)

While the information I have is for FE7 (and, hell, might even have already been taken into consideration in both of icecube's patches/modules, but from reading through the thread on FEU, I honestly can't tell, so I'm posting this anyway), I can't imagine that IS would have given themselves more work by altering the code, so the opcodes and assembly should be relatively similar between FE7 and FE8 (with the addresses and possibly the item IDs changing between games, of course).

Credit to Hextator for the research and disassembly on this many, many years ago. (I'm just going to copy and paste the entire section of notes that I have, some of it is probably not relevant and possibly has even be documented in other ways before, but, eh.)

http://pastebin.com/Tub65XLk

Unfortunately, he never did research on what actually gives these items their Anima/Dark magic triangle effects and where it might be coded. But, suffice to say, there's got to be something associated in the assembly for the three magic swords that comparing or following the trail of would enable someone much more skilled than I to make magic swords (or other weapons) expandable by modifying (and probably moving) the code and allowing it to check against a table or an "array" of sorts.

Also, did Crazycolorz deal with Str/2 and No Crit in relation to the original magic weapons for Modular Battle? If so, that also might contain additional pieces of the puzzle...

I hope that this post was at least helpful and not information that everyone already knew and had documented. :/

Unfortunately, he never did research on what actually gives these items their Anima/Dark magic triangle effects and where it might be coded.

Yet he wrote it. It's on 080288E6 (for FE7. For FE8, it's 0802A870).

In the routine, both Light Brand and Wind Sword have their magic weapon bit cleared (Weapon ability 1, 0x40) for meele attack, or their weapon type changed for ranged attack. Runesword always has its weapon type changed. Since this routine is called after determining whether the weapon is magical, the weapon will always hit RES, since their magic weapon bit was set initially.

The routine for modifying the STR/2 and 0 CRT is actually on 0802A4B8 (display only), and 0802ADCC (preview and battle).

Edit: fixed typo. Thanks Blademaster!

Edited by icecube

Ooh, ooh, I might be able to help here! (Maybe.)

While the information I have is for FE7 (and, hell, might even have already been taken into consideration in both of icecube's patches/modules, but from reading through the thread on FEU, I honestly can't tell, so I'm posting this anyway), I can't imagine that IS would have given themselves more work by altering the code, so the opcodes and assembly should be relatively similar between FE7 and FE8 (with the addresses and possibly the item IDs changing between games, of course).

Credit to Hextator for the research and disassembly on this many, many years ago. (I'm just going to copy and paste the entire section of notes that I have, some of it is probably not relevant and possibly has even be documented in other ways before, but, eh.)

http://pastebin.com/Tub65XLk

Unfortunately, he never did research on what actually gives these items their Anima/Dark magic triangle effects and where it might be coded.

Yet he wrote it. It's on 080288E6 (for FE7. For FE8, it's 08028A70).

In the routine, both Light Brand and Wind Sword have their magic weapon bit cleared (Weapon ability 1, 0x40) for meele attack, or their weapon type changed for ranged attack. Runesword always has its weapon type changed. Since this routine is called after determining whether the weapon is magical, the weapon will always hit RES, since their magic weapon bit was set initially.

The routine for modifying the STR/2 and 0 CRT is actually on 0802A4B8 (display only), and 0802ADCC (preview and battle).

Oh... OK... But what am I supposed to do with these numbers? Do I need a special editor for this type of data?

Oh... OK... But what am I supposed to do with these numbers? Do I need a special editor for this type of data?

It's the ASM routine where the game determines how to handle the three magic swords in FE8, though I think Icecube made a typo and meant to type 0802A870 as the location of the FE8 routine?

IMO, a text editor and a hex editor is enough (along with gbatek documentation). If you only want to do a simple modification such as STR/2 and 0 crt, it shouldn't be difficult.

If you're new to ASM hacking, try applying my patch, and look at 0802C124 and 08B2EC00 via VBA disassembler. I think that is simple enough for an example.