Famitsu 14th May Digital Issue Out Now

Ryo

What do they mean by this line exactly, that they want to make a game accessible on all fronts or the want to make an easier game balanced around phoenix mode. I'm rather perplexed. I assume based off later comments that they encourage Classic but have the other options, but I find the wording of this quote rather odd.

Well, the wording is gonna be odd regardless as it's Japanese translated to English and all the subtleties of a language aren't easily translated. If I were to wager a guess though, I'd say that they wanted to encourage even more new players to pick up the game than Awakening did with this new mode. I wouldn't worry about them not promoting classic mode as it's inclusion is necessary for veteran fe players and it was said in the article that they wanted to keep old and new players in mind.

Edit: Or whatever Kirokan said lol

Edited by Venterqua

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They meant they wanted to make the game bigger than Awakening (in content/volume/etc), but also with the appeal to newcomers and old fans alike.

Thanks for the clarification and translation! :) The hype train is back on track again.

Well, the wording is gonna be odd regardless as it's Japanese translated to English and all the subtleties of a language aren't easily translated. If I were to wager a guess though, I'd say that they wanted to encourage even more new players to pick up the game than Awakening did with this new mode. I wouldn't worry about them not promoting classic mode as it's inclusion is necessary for veteran fe players and it was said in the article that they wanted to keep old and new players in mind.

Thanks for the clarification as well! :)

XD Yeah Japanese wording always comes out sounding funny in English. So do not feel bad if you get confused by what is being said, and by all means feel free to ask away.

Thanks for the clarification and translation! :) The hype train is back on track again.

Thanks for the clarification as well! :)

And you are most welcome!

I wasn't being serious. Honestly, I was thinking it would affect the terrain somehow. Perhaps flooding the water below bridges (drawing the water from another source), so you could effectively toggle between having said bridge traversable or not. Making more land/room sounds closer to what Yokota said, though, I agree

Sounds like we can finally get payback for those gaiden chapters where the walkways randomly disappeared and left you stranded. I'm excited.

Also, nice to see this translation seems to have calmed down the Dead Sea levels of saltiness that was everywhere yesterday.

Edited by BlueL

Also, since I know some people were asking about it, but on the last page, the bottom blurb reads: "Despite being in the middle of the royal family, the main character has inherited a highly concentrated amount of the dragon blood. Thanks to that blood, he/she is able to use items known as 'dragonstones,' and he/she can then transform into battle using them. But, up to this point in the series, haven't only beings known as 'Mamkutes' been able to use them...?"

He-hey I was right, although it wasn't anything major.

I'd also like to point out another minor thing that at least some people have wondered about before: it's now confirmed that as long as you take a certain amount of damage (looks like around 50%), the characters make a pained expression, and not only when they're under attack.

I've been wondering. What does Marx say to Kamui on one of the lower images of this page?

fire-emblem-4.jpg

This is completely new dialogue isn't it?

I'd like to know this too. Can't figure out one of the kanji and it's really bugging me

Damn, I can't make it out either, and it's bugging me like hell. The way I interpret it, he's saying something along the lines of "if you're really going to fight for Hoshido, this older brother...(and then an imperative -te form)" something, although don't take my word for it, since I've got zero experience in translating from Japanese to English. Christ, I need to step up my studies if I'm to play this game in Japanese.

Edited by Thane

Partial transformations now? Damn, this just keeps getting better!

Kamui is definitely not a manakete now though. Manaketes could never partially transform. Glad to know I was right and that he's something new!

I'm really late on this, but Myrrh is able to hide her wings in FE8, and Medeus is shown in one artwork to have dragon claw hands, but normal hands in his portrait.

Edited by L95

I'm really late on this, but Myrrh is able to hide her wings in FE8, and Medeus is shown in one artwork to have dragon claw hands, but normal hands in his portrait.

The biggest question for me is how you activate the partial transformation. I mean, you've got swords and dragonstones, but what triggers a partial transformation? A critical hit with Yatogami, perhaps?

Edited by Thane

Damn, I can't make it out either, and it's bugging me like hell. The way I interpret it, he's saying something along the lines of "if you're really going to fight for Hoshido, this older brother...(and then an imperative -te form)" something, although don't take my word for it, since I've got zero experience in translating from Japanese to English. Christ, I need to step up my studies if I'm to play this game in Japanese.

After trying to rebuild it character by character myself, I'm getting something along the lines of "If you want to join Hoshido, you have to defeat me", though that's simplistic and possibly wrong.

please please please let weapon weight be a thing again

all will be forgiven regarding no durability if weight returns

pls IS

I think they might do a stat buff/debuff system, like anti-crit swords boost luck, weapons that are hard to double with debuff AS, etc.

The biggest question for me is how you activate the partial transformation. I mean, you've got swords and dragonstones, but what triggers a partial transformation? A critical hit with Yatogami, perhaps?

With the sword equipped, I want to think it's a skill. I don't really know, though.

After trying to rebuild it character by character myself, I'm getting something along the lines of "If you want to join Hoshido, you have to defeat me", though that's simplistic and possibly wrong.

Hey, you're probably right. I only understand a little Japanese after studying there for three months and then studying by myself after I got home; I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.

That said, I love how Marx refers to himself as "this (older) brother", it sounds absolutely adorable, and so sad given the context.

Hold your horses, you should look at the Japanese before you start imagining.

From the way it's phrased, it pretty much means making more land/room to maneuver.

Aw, and there went my hopes of reenacting that scene from the end of The Prince of Egypt.

He's saying: どうしても白夜側につくというのなら、この兄を倒してみせてからにしろ!

Or roughly, "If you have sided with the Hoshido, then show your Older brother your resolve! [by defeating me]"

Or roughly, "If you have sided with the Hoshido, then show your Older brother your resolve! [by defeating me]"

So he still calls Kamui his brother? I guess that means he and the other Nohr siblings haven't shunned you, the player, just yet.

This shot with Garon is also new, is he planning to kill Kamui :O ? (obviously I can only read Kanji lol)

fami1405-3.jpg

He's saying: カムイを苦しませよ。但し、殺してはならぬ。

"Make Kamui suffer. However, you must not kill him."

I guess you could also take it as "Kamui is becoming a nuisance, however we must not kill him."

I do not think it is an order to kill him though, or else the "however/despite that" would not be there. Anyway it would be easier to give a solid answer if there was more defined context.

Thanks a lot once again:)

Also the game has the distinct feature of having plenty of “contrivances.”

Now this is really interesting, I seriously hope they're not bluffing here.

Just realized, the new weapons system, is it hinting at heavy weapons and reavers? I miss those. Even with the lack weapons breaking, getting something scratched off my list of things I want to see is cool. Also, are the arenas in Nohr too?

Great interview. Sounds like they put a lot of care and thought into this game.

Even though I was a bit mind-boggled at first by the whole weapon durability thing, there seem to be a lot more possibilities waiting.