Tatsumi Kimishima succeeds Satoru Iwata as President of Nintendo

Florete

He seems to have a lot of experience under his belt and perhaps his time as CEO of Nintendo of America gives him a good view of both the western and the eastern market.

I won't exactly hold him against it and its far too early to judge anyway, but seeing his picture I don't really get the same pleasant old man vibe that Iwata gave of though.

Anyway I wish him good luck and I hope he'll do a good job.

I'm going to hazard a guess that Kimishima isn't going to be the president for a long time, strictly because of his age. I think for short-term, however, he's going to do the job just fine. He clearly has experience and an understanding of both the Japanese and the American market (maybe European, though I think Shibata runs NoE well), so my gut reaction tells me not to be worried for the two regions. The fact he's more of a behind-the-scenes kind of person makes me wonder about the future of Directs, though. I suppose they could get someone else to present Directs, like Morimoto. We'll see, though

Has it been stated on who's replacing Iwata's position as CEO for NoA? It wouldn't surprise me if Kimishima took that role too

I'm not very clear on business titles and whatnot, but a head of resources doesn't really seem like the type of guy to run a company such as Nintendo. But apparently he actually did very similar roles in the past according to posts above me, so I suppose I shouldn't judge just yet.

He seems to have plenty of experience in the market, so he knows what he's getting into, and from what I researched, that whole mess with NoA(copyright, localization, etc.) was after his presidency, so I don't believe he's involved with Nintendo's copyright mess, or at least his involment was very small.

I suppose I shouldn't really think anything of him yet, but my gut reaction is to distrust him. Maybe it's just because I got used to Iwata's smiling face, but still...

Let's see what Nintendo starts doing from here on out. Hopefully my mistrust will be proven unfounded.

I've never heard of this guy before, hope Nintendo made a good choice.

He was the former President of Nintendo of America, so not a bad choice IMO

I was about to say "but I thought that was Hiroshi Yamauchi," but then I noticed you said NoA, not NoJ. :P Guess this was a good move then. And maybe at last, we'll see a new Nintendo Direct soon!

Edited by Anacybele

I suppose I shouldn't really think anything of him yet, but my gut reaction is to distrust him. Maybe it's just because I got used to Iwata's smiling face, but still...

Let's see what Nintendo starts doing from here on out. Hopefully my mistrust will be proven unfounded.

I don't mean this insultingly, but he does look a little bit like a 'sour old man' :p though Iwata makes the contrast even worse. I'm sure he's great lol.

Edited by L95

I don't mean this insultingly, but he does look a little bit like a 'sour old man' :p though Iwata makes the contrast even worse. I'm sure he's great lol.

You're right, and he doesn't even look like a funny bitter old man, ala George Carlin, or Lewis Black, either. That, plus the fact that he comes from business instead of videogames kind of makes me distrust him. Satoru Iwata was a game programmer, so with him in office you knew it was someone who cared for games, at least a little. This guy comes from business, and business people tend to care mostly for money.

Once again, I hope my mistrust is proven unfounded.

This guy comes from business, and business people tend to care mostly for money.

Today, Nintendo appointed Tatsumi Kimishima as its new president. We now have some quotes from Kimishima himself, via Japanese paper The Nikkei and Dr. Serkan Toto on Twitter.

Kimishima said that there won’t be changes to the basic strategy set up by former president Satoru Iwata. The challenge, according to Kimishima, now lies in identifying new projects and cultivating the right human resources to reach Nintendo-like profits again.

The Nikkei also quotes representative director Genyo Takeda as saying that the aim is to establish a future-proof group leadership system inside Nintendo. Source

Arguably, a valid concern

Hopefully he doesn't ruin what Iwata helped to build.

Nintendo might not be the most profiting company, but they still know great games, and maybe with a more business focused leader at the reigns they can continue to make good games and sell more units of games and consoles (and whatever other amiibo-like knickknacks they come up with) as a whole.

...or perhaps with a business focused leader at the reigns Nintendo will become indistinguishable from Sony and Microsoft. Who knows, it's only been like a day, if not then even less.

Though he looks like he might not be a very long term president like Iwata was, at least based on his starting age...

to be fair, a nintendo president who's more preoccupied with business than iwata's game expertise is nothing new; the story goes that yamauchi never played a single game himself, nintendo or otherwise, during his tenure, and he certainly had no background or experience in game design! needless to say, nintendo fared just fine under him, so my feeling is that kimishima won't be much different. he's been around nintendo and its subsidiaries long enough

Edited by bookofholsety

Arguably, a valid concern

Hmm...Let's hope that wanting Nintendo profits back just means not making dumb business decisions. As opposed to say, Nintendo becoming Japanese EA.

to be fair, a nintendo president who's more preoccupied with business than iwata's game expertise is nothing new; the story goes that yamauchi never played a single game himself, nintendo or otherwise, during his tenure, and he certainly had no background or experience in game design! needless to say, nintendo fared just fine under him, so my feeling is that kimishima won't be much different. he's been around nintendo and its subsidiaries long enough

Hopefully you're right, but I suppose we can't really know until something noteworthy really happens.

From what I've read this guy is just the placeholder until company arrangement gets sorted out, so I suppose I shouldn't be too worried about this. Another problem comes in with the actual rearranging of the positioning. Nintendo is looking more business heavy now.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Some people are worried a business-focused guy will turn Nintendo into Sony or Microsoft, I'm a little worried he might go further and turn Nintendo into Konami. I hope I'm wrong, but I kind of have an innate distrust for businessmen.

I trust him. He's been the main lead for a lot of things from past Nintendo and he has industry experience. Not to mention he recently admitted that he thought "Wii U" brand name would not capture the market like the original Wii.

Some people are worried a business-focused guy will turn Nintendo into Sony or Microsoft, I'm a little worried he might go further and turn Nintendo into Konami. I hope I'm wrong, but I kind of have an innate distrust for businessmen.

In the next episode: more dlc and more transaction!

Lets hope that we are wrong and that we shouldn't be judging a book by its cover.

Still concerned though.

Edited by Naughx