Stream of Fates

Teapot

After a dicussion with our lovely admin, Tang, we thought the streaming community could use a little pep to try and encourage more people to join in. This is where you, the spriters, come in.

What is it?

In anticipation of the upcoming release of Fire Emblem: Fates and to help garner more interest in the spriting community, we'd like to hold a week-long Fates-inspired streaming event for spriters to come and exhibit their skills.

• No previous streaming experience is required. We will help you set up, if you're just starting out.
  • Spriters of any skill level may join. In fact, we'd like to encourage new spriters to try it out!

Why stream?

While many spriters may feel uncomfortable with the prospect of being watched while working, streaming is actually a very effective medium to help spriters improve develop their skills with real-time critique. If you've ever wondered how your fellow spriters do what they do, this is also a great opportunity to observe their techniques.

How can I get involved?

We have a dedicated streaming hub topic where you can get started. If you need help, feel free to ask!

As for the event itself, we're looking for spriters who would be interested and willing to stream themselves spriting a little something FE:Fates-related during the week of the event. You can sign up for the event by posting below.

When is this happening?

The tentative date for this event will be the week following the release (Feb. 19).

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, we'd like to hear them!

------

Current List of Participants (please check out their related links!) --

• AK
  • AthenaWyrm [ devART | Twitter | Sprite Topic ]
  • Snake Mom [ Twitch | YouTube ]
  • Thor Odinson [ Art Blog ]
  • The Merc
  • Lenh
  • xXHoshiHeartsXx
  • Smirks
  • The Wonderful & Amazingly Talented Mew Whom I Have Most Definitely NOT Forgotten To Add To This List By Any Possible Measure Nope
  • Tao
Edited by Greninjeta

Just to add, I'll be helping manage things behind the scenes and promoting it on our website, but AK (and anyone she gets to assist her) will be in charge of seeing the event itself through for the most part. Anyone who streams on AK's official spriting channel for our event that has their own separate channel(s) will have them promoted as well during SF's promotion of the Fates sprite streams.

You won't need to dedicate much of your time if you don't want to, even an hour or something on one of our event days would be great.

I plan on spriting a certain fluffy lobster, so might as well schedule it around that time, given that grad school doesn't pile a shitton of work on me

I don't have my own streaming channel but promos to my art blog would be appreciated instead

Edited by Thor Odinson

There were some concerns from chat regarding the event date; that is, having it the week after release would likely interfere with participation as most people would be playing the game. Suggestions involved having it coincide with either the Scribbles contest, or to have it the week before release. What do you all think?

I'm pretty much open during normal 9-5 work hours and can do streaming then, I barely sprite anymore though I can't speak for my quality lol, I've been working on the same sprite for months. Would I be allowed to stream general digital artwork as well? If not it's nbd since I realize this is mostly geared towards spriters.

Also, I'm one of those people who raised concerns about the event date: I sort of wish this were coinciding a bit more with the end date of the creative contest (having this happen in the last week of January basically)--I don't have anything finished yet and streaming it might be a fun way for me to get something finished for it, as well as generating maybe a slight bit more hype towards the end to remind people that they still have a little bit of time to make entries.

Posted my thoughts in our skype thing, cliffs:

- I'm okay with whenever you guys want to do it. My suggestion would be to talk among eachother and anyone else potentially interested in entering the event and see what dates are best for people.

An explanation for the original choice of dates:

We're guaranteed to experience a spike in user interest if it's done after the Fates release as opposed to before. We typically have 350-400 users on at any time throughout the day, but I'm expecting that to increase to 800-1000 during the Fates release. It was the original motivation behind the date we decided on. I can't really guarantee that we'll be attracting a ton of stream viewers regardless, since spriting is a fairly niche hobby, but promoting the event during our population boom certainly couldn't hurt the artists we'd be promoting on stream.

Ultimately it's up to you guys what week you end up choosing to do it on, I'll be doing what I can to support you regardless :P:. Do what's most comfortable for you!

Also random side note: I'll be promoting each stream using the forum and website. So if your stream is scheduled for x time, there'll be a personalized header advertisement for the duration to alert people that you're currently streaming.

Edited by Tangerine

I think it'd be okay to open up the stream to digital artwork as well, honestly. While the channel is intended for spriting, for the event, it might be nice to have digital art streams, too.

Both timings have their benefits. It'd be nice if we could break it into two halves, with hype building before the release, then riding the hype train after the release. Maybe we could do it that way, anyway? Like, start the week before, and slowly ease people into it, then give a break for the few days around the release, then continue it afterward. That'd likely be a more flexible schedule for some people, too?

I'd be up for it too~ (Tentatively, because my internet and free schedule (and muse) isn't the most reliable. If you're okay with it I'd try to at least have a timelapse of a (requested?) particular character/item pixellation or something.)

• 2 weeks later...

While I would love to participate in the spriting, because I haven't paid attention to this being a thing, I am not set up in the slightest to be able to stream. If I can get Skype set up quickly enough, I'd love to join you guys, but even that's a maybe.

I'll definitely watch of I can, though.