This week’s issue of Famitsu just came out not long ago, although their website already posted their Three Houses feature several hours ago. There’s an absolute truckload of new gameplay information, so make sure you’re comfortable and prepared for a very long read!
Before we go in, I recommend studying the contents of the previous Famitsu article, if you haven’t done so already.
History of the Crests
Some characters bear “crests” passed down by their ancestors. The crests play a major role in influencing one’s social standing; for example, the Adrestian Empire’s imperial throne has been passed down for generations to those with the crest of Seiros. In addition, crests may unlock talents such as superior physical or magical ability.
The protagonist possesses a crest, shown in the screenshot above. This same crest appears in various places, like on Sothis’s clothes, the king with the golden blade in the first trailer, etc. However, the name and properties of this crest are a complete mystery. In fact, it’s even called “Crest of ???” in the game.
However, there might be a clue about its origins later…
Skills and Crests
Skills are an important part of a character’s personality and growth. When set, they have a particular effect during battle. There are three types of skills.
- Personal skills: Innate skills that each character has at the start. Cannot be removed and there’s only one for each character.
- Class skills: Innate skills for each class. It’s granted to that class only and disappear once you change class.
- Professor skills: These are learned skills according to the character’s professor levels (in Sword, Lance, Axe, Authority, etc.). Unlike class skills, they can be customised and are independent of class.
Above we can see Hubert as a Dark Mage with the following skills.
- Personal: Strategist
- Class: Miasma△ (from Echoes), Hex (from Awakening)
- Professor: Reason Level 2, Authority Level 1, Rally Magic (also from Awakening), Bow Level 1
Just in case, you can find some additional information about Professor Skills via the previous Famitsu article (search for “Close Counter”).