Jedi's Thoughts on the FE Warriors news

Jedi

I'm currently waiting for the Famitsu article to actually come out and be properly translated before I do an official article for SF, but I figured I'd share my general thoughts considering I'm the Warriors guy here after all. I'll post my thoughts on each bullet here on the Gematsu "translation" of sorts even if I'm not too trusting of them

The rough translations seem to be 

Shion is voiced by Yuma Uchida. Lian is voiced by Maaya Uchida.

The Fire Emblem series’ mainstay weapon triangle and class systems exist in Fire Emblem Warriors. It is efficient to attack a Pegasus Knight with an Archer, for example.

Intelligent Systems is supervising on things such as character settings.

There will be a huge, fully voiced script.

The characters that appear are generally from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem Awakening, as well as Fire Emblem Fates. This won’t be a gathering of the protagonists from across the series.

There are bond conversations with characters from across different titles.

There is no marriage, nor is there love as a result of becoming good friends.

Thanks, Ryokutya2089.

Update 7:20 a.m.: And some more details.

Marth is voiced by Hikaru Midorikawa. Chrom is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita.

There are two more original characters: Darios (voiced by Takuya Satou) and Yuana (voiced by Yuka Nagayoshi).

Development is currently 70 percent complete.

The project was in planning before Famitsu’s collaboration Musou title survey.

The first thing that was decided was “to do a Musou game that Fire Emblem fans would enjoy.”

The weapon triangle, high strategy elements, and classes that are mainstay in the Fire Emblem series are in.

The reason all the protagonists from the Fire Emblem games are not being included is because if they did that, everyone would be using a sword.

You can switch characters while playing, so you’ll be able to control various weapons and classes of characters.

The number of playable characters is more than the first entry of any other Musou series collaboration.

Archers and magic users will be playable.

While Koei Tecmo can’t share details on the world yet, there is a “Shield of Fire” in this world that has tuned up from beyond space and time.

Units that ride a horse, such as the Cavalier, always fight on horse. They’re designed to have high mobility.

“Bond Conversations” are being prepared as support conversations. There is a huge amount of text, including serious conversations and goofy conversations.

Jedi Thoughts Below - SF Quote function derped again.

First of all, weapon triangle & classes being a big deal, I kind of predicted and its cool to actually have been right. Dynasty Warriors 8 did use a weapon triangle of sorts, where each weapon you got had an attribute (it wasn't based on the type of weapon itself), and it allowed you to get an advantage or get walled out by an enemy general, although this is where the DW8 Dual Weapon system came more into play. So I assume we'll see stuff like that. 

IS is merely supervising, meaning most of the choices are Koei-Tecmo. 

Huge fully voiced script gets me excited after Echoes, however will we get an English dub? Koei has been shaky with that of late. 

I had predicted FE1/3/11/12, FE13 & FE14 would be the main forces at work here, but people shouldn't be quick to think they'll be the only ones, note it says "generally" I think it stands to reason that Smash Bros characters and general fan favorites do still have a shot, but the main focus will be the 3 aforementioned games. People have been really negative about this, but think about it, FE3 is Japans favorite FE, and 13&14 have seen massive success, its only fair to give those 3 the spotlight, I mean I love Elibe, Jugdral, Magvel & Tellius. But unfortunately they aren't the forerunners of this franchise, as much as we all wanted a full scale crossover of all 15 FE's I think we'll have to just use Cipher & Heroes for that, however DLC may come around, do recall how Hyrule Warriors focused 3 main games and then branched out. 

Bond conversations sound fun in general, Warriors Orochi kind of had them but I hope they aren't as bare bones. They mention serious & goofy talks, I just hope we don't have any sort of oversea changes to those regardless of whats said.

No marriage, considering the 2 avatar characters we have (much like how Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 both have a Male & Female protagonist). I wouldn't have been surprised, but hey at least they have priorities straight. (I like the girls design as much as the hair on both kind of annoy me).

We have 4 original characters much like how DQH's did things again. 

Development is quite far along, but then again a Fall release means it should be this far along, I'm expecting a Trailer at E3

"Musou that Fire Emblem fans would enjoy" which goes back to the 3 game choices, they are for better or worse the 3 most successful games in the franchise, so it only makes sense to try to branch out to as many people as possible, to get a profit. 

"The weapon triangle, high strategy elements, and classes that are mainstay in the Fire Emblem series are in." Kind of making me hopeful for that bonus potential mode I mentioned here 

I really dislike this cop-out of "most of the mains use swords" considering Dynasty Warriors & Samurai Warriors have tons of swordies that they made unique, however I see why, considering they mentioned the weapon triangle is a big deal in this game, they want to have weapon types be balanced in terms of character selection. I was hoping to ride around as Eliwood, but alas I doubt I will. 

"You can switch characters while playing, so you’ll be able to control various weapons and classes of characters." 
Whether they mean like Warriors Orochi style where you switch with a button or Hyrule Warriors where your characters are seperate on the map itself and you can switch, would be nice to know.

Decently sized playable cast for a first Warriors game is a + to me. 

Archers and Mages being playable? No duh. 

Shield of Fire? I bet this is a super maguffin and the games fire emblem. 

So Cavaliers play like Link on Epona instead of just like you can demount and remount a horse with differing movesets, not 100% sure how to feel about that. Cavaliers might be the best for speed running though! 

My article is now up 

https://serenesforest.net/2017/05/31/famitsu-details-fe-warriors-depth/ for the better translations

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh, I'm kind of bummed about cavaliers not being able to dismount. It makes sense in the context of FE, but still wish that they Thracia 776'd this game and allowed them to dismount. It also makes me wonder about foot units? Will they be allowed to mount, or would they need to use warp points? I guess we'll have to wait til more information/gameplay footage to come out. Seeing as how E3 is soon, we may get more information then along with FE Switch (which I'm also curious about because they said they're changing conventions IIRC, but that's a discussion for another thread).

I'm not surprised the majority of the cast is from FE1/3/11/12/13/14, seeing as how they have the most popularity/acknowledgment. The keyword is generally so I bet Lyn and Ike will be in the main game, since they won the Heroes poll. A little disheartening to see some obscure newer character over lords of past games, but I understand the reasoning. But why add 3 new characters that use swords though? Choices. I wish only one of them wielded swords, while the other 2 wielded an axe and a lance, so they could explain the weapon triangle in this game, but I digress.

Also, this just crushed my hopes of L'arachel being in this game, because Elise is so much more popular because she's a precious cinnamon roll she was in Fates.

Overall, I'm still probably gonna get this game, because I've been a Dynasty + Samurai Warriors fan for a long time and I do enjoy a lot of the newer characters. I do hope that Phina gets the Dancer representation, since I don't think Azura counts.

I'm pretty confident it'll be English dubbed. I would imagine Nintendo would make sure of that considering Echoes.

And it certainly better be dubbed because if it isn't, then this goes off the list just like Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Just now, Sentinel07 said:

I'm pretty confident it'll be English dubbed. I would imagine Nintendo would make sure of that considering Echoes.

And it certainly better be dubbed because if it isn't, then this goes off the list just like Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

True, if the went as far as to dub a mobile game so fully, surely they'll insist upon it.

10 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Tbh, I'm kind of bummed about cavaliers not being able to dismount. It makes sense in the context of FE, but still wish that they Thracia 776'd this game and allowed them to dismount. It also makes me wonder about foot units? Will they be allowed to mount, or would they need to use warp points? I guess we'll have to wait til more information/gameplay footage to come out. Seeing as how E3 is soon, we may get more information then along with FE Switch (which I'm also curious about because they said they're changing conventions IIRC, but that's a discussion for another thread).

I'm not surprised the majority of the cast is from FE1/3/11/12/13/14, seeing as how they have the most popularity/acknowledgment. The keyword is generally so I bet Lyn and Ike will be in the main game, since they won the Heroes poll. A little disheartening to see some obscure newer character over lords of past games, but I understand the reasoning. But why add 3 new characters that use swords though? Choices. I wish only one of them wielded swords, while the other 2 wielded an axe and a lance, so they could explain the weapon triangle in this game, but I digress.

Also, this just crushed my hopes of L'arachel being in this game, because Elise is so much more popular because she's a precious cinnamon roll she was in Fates.

Overall, I'm still probably gonna get this game, because I've been a Dynasty + Samurai Warriors fan for a long time and I do enjoy a lot of the newer characters. I do hope that Phina gets the Dancer representation, since I don't think Azura counts.

Yeah I'm confused as to why the new characters use swords if they complained about too many swords it seems like... You're only causing your own problem. 

I'd have loved to see L'arachel as well, speaking of characters would anyone be interested in seeing my wishlist for these 3 games and potential outsiders? 

7 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I want to be as confident as you in this, but I can't be 100% sure until we get some trailer in English.

I really want to see the bond conversations, especially since they're across titles. That'll be very interesting to see.

It's a shame that the the only titles listed are with Fates, Awakening, and SD. I'm guessing they'll include others as DLC at some point. I'm interested in seeing how they'll blend these titles together though.

I wonder what characters they plan on adding. For Fates, I would hate for it to just be all royals only because I'm tired of them being over represented. I want someone else. Awakening, I'm hoping some children get in. If Lucina gets a spot, then I'm guessing they'll add a few others too. SD, I haven't played it, but I want Catria. Then maybe whoever else.

Marriage honestly has zero place in this game, so whatever.

I don't play a lot of warrior games, but I'm glad FE is putting in it's own twist, keeping WTA and such.

They say mages and archers, but what about Manaketes and beasts? Is there anything about those yet?

6 minutes ago, KongDude said:

I really want to see the bond conversations, especially since they're across titles. That'll be very interesting to see.

It's a shame that the the only titles listed are with Fates, Awakening, and SD. I'm guessing they'll include others as DLC at some point. I'm interested in seeing how they'll blend these titles together though.

I wonder what characters they plan on adding. For Fates, I would hate for it to just be all royals only because I'm tired of them being over represented. I want someone else. Awakening, I'm hoping some children get in. If Lucina gets a spot, then I'm guessing they'll add a few others too. SD, I haven't played it, but I want Catria. Then maybe whoever else.

Marriage honestly has zero place in this game, so whatever.

I don't play a lot of warrior games, but I'm glad FE is putting in it's own twist, keeping WTA and such.

They say mages and archers, but what about Manaketes and beasts? Is there anything about those yet?

To be honest, the Weapon Triangle really isn't a big twist. The Warriors games introduced their own variant a while ago which pretty much functions similarly.

During the clusterfuck of the other thread, I gave my two cents that I really don't want to bother retrieving and it got buried.

To summarize, we're just echoing sentiments here for the most part. Except for the OCs, they look like goof troops, I can't be convinced otherwise lol.

But the only thing I don't want is for Cavalry to be like Bladestorm's or Arslan's... which was like Bladestorm lol.

I was fairly certain the mounted units would remain mounted, to be honest. It would defeat the purpose of their class if they could dismount, and KT would have to figure out a way to give infantry a similar boon as not everyone knows how to ride a horse despite what SW/DW want you to believe.

I've never played HW and have seen little footage, so I didn't know about their "switch characters" system. It sounds interesting, and I think it would fit better for strategical elements. Most SW/DW strategy comes more so from micromanaging than really anticipating and countering an enemy's move, if that makes sense.

I'm fairly interested in the backstory of the game. I wonder if Outrealm shenanigans is what brings the heroes together.

I mostly like the designs of the OC lords. The girl is pretty cute, while the boy reminds me of Odin/Owain and Ryuji Sakamoto. Again, I want to hear their voices and see their personalities before figuring which is my favorite.

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I'm confused as to why the new characters use swords if they complained about too many swords it seems like... You're only causing your own problem. 

I'd have loved to see L'arachel as well, speaking of characters would anyone be interested in seeing my wishlist for these 3 games and potential outsiders? 

I'm interested in seeing your wishlist, especially since IIRC you said that New Mystery or SD was your fave FE game so I'm curious to who you would want for those titles. MATTHIS FTW

And forgive me, I didn't give a certain someone the fanfare their name requires, so I'll say it now. L'arachel, Princess of Rausten, Champion of Justice, Avenger of Light, CEO of Gambling Halls, Lady of Fanciful Tricks, Icon of Grace, and Maiden of Desire.

1 minute ago, Dandy Druid said:

I'm interested in seeing your wishlist, especially since IIRC you said that New Mystery or SD was your fave FE game so I'm curious to who you would want for those titles. MATTHIS FTW

And forgive me, I didn't give a certain someone the fanfare their name requires, so I'll say it now. L'arachel, Princess of Rausten, Champion of Justice, Avenger of Light, CEO of Gambling Halls, Lady of Fanciful Tricks, Icon of Grace, and Maiden of Desire.

Nah, I like original Mystery over New Mystery, I do think New Mystery is solid though. My favorite is Binding Blade, but I find a bit to enjoy out of every FE. 

A wishlist might take me awhile to come up with.

I'm not jumping on them just yet for the swords on the new characters, multiple movesets/weapons I think makes a decent amount of sense (though not an expert in thevwarrior side) in that case, and I don't really care that much about the PR angle here.

What type of list of we talking about? I'd be pretty interested in just a simple list of people you'd like, but any thing additional would elevate it greatly in my eyes. 

Disappointed, but not surprised that cavs and mounted characters are always mounted. Though I am curious how that is going to work for Wyvern Riders. They don't exactly move on the ground too well, and I imagine flying won't be too easy on indoor maps. Bit of an odd choice considering that.

Don't like the OCs. They look terrible. They barely fit in, and will probably be kind of jarring amongst the cast of FE characters. 

I am interested in seeing how mages and archers turn out. Unfortunately eith Awakening and Fates being 2 of the 3 main focuses means that Takumi and Virion will be my only choices Archer wise, outside of whatever Shadow Dragon brings. Hopefully SoV gets some DLC rep with Leon or maybe the villagers alongside Alm and Celica for a bow user I actually like. Mages will be fine though, I liked most of Awakening Fates mages, even the ever controversial Tharja. Don't have much to say on Marth era reps, never played any of those games.

Really, really, really hope we get an English dub for this. I'm not one for listening to a language I can't speak and reading subtitles all the time. That and I want to see some of my favorite characters actually fully voiced. 

Curious what strategy elements they are talking about. I am not entirely dure what to expect, even after watching your video on it. They can go in so many different directions with it that it's hard to guess what they could do. It will be interesting to see though.

And definitely agree on E3. I can see a E3 trailer alongside a bit of gameplay and roster overview. Outside of Directs it's their only time to really showcase the game.

Edited by Tolvir

Kinda bummed that it's strictly FE1/3 and Awakening+Fates. Those are probably the four games in the franchise where I care the absolute least about that characters.

Like, I get that those are the Marth games+The two best selling games in the franchise, but still. Major blow to my excitement of the game. Now I'll be waiting to see how intensive the strategy elements are to determine whether I actually get this or not.

Edited by Slumber

18 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I am interested in seeing how mages and archers turn out. Unfortunately eith Awakening and Fates being 2 of the 3 main focuses means that Takumi and Virion will be my only choices Archer wise, outside of whatever Shadow Dragon brings. Hopefully SoV gets some DLC rep with Leon or maybe the villagers alongside Alm and Celica for a bow user I actually like. Mages will be fine though, I liked most of Awakening Fates mages, even the ever controversial Tharja. Don't have much to say on Marth era reps, never played any of those games.

Well then I'm sure if we get more Archers than Takumi, Jeorge'll be in.

On that dub note, I don't really care. If it's bad, then shit. If it's good, then great. I generally prefer the option to swap between them and judge for mehself.

Echoes gave me a lot of hope about a dub for FE, so if they get the same team that brought us Python being amazing and Forsyth being uniquely cheesey then I'm all for it.

My big hope is if they can nail a flying character. If they nail Minerva bashing people's skulls in then this might be the absolute best.

33 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I was fairly certain the mounted units would remain mounted, to be honest. It would defeat the purpose of their class if they could dismount, and KT would have to figure out a way to give infantry a similar boon as not everyone knows how to ride a horse despite what SW/DW want you to believe.

I've never played HW and have seen little footage, so I didn't know about their "switch characters" system. It sounds interesting, and I think it would fit better for strategical elements. Most SW/DW strategy comes more so from micromanaging than really anticipating and countering an enemy's move, if that makes sense.

I'm fairly interested in the backstory of the game. I wonder if Outrealm shenanigans is what brings the heroes together.

If anything, I wouldn't mind having mounts to ride for infantry units and whatnot. Like purchasing mounts for use in a stage or whatnot, not unlike Xtreme Mode in old school DW games.

Have you played or seen Samurai Warriors 4 or Chronicles? Those have character switching as well, so I imagine the idea is exactly the same.

If I could hazard a guess, I think they're summoned. From what I could gather, it all honestly makes me think of Musou Stars' plot currently. Which isn't bad, but just lol.

Edited by Soledai

37 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Disappointed, but not surprised that cavs and mounted characters are always mounted. Though I am curious how that is going to work for Wyvern Riders. They don't exactly move on the ground too well, and I imagine flying won't be too easy on indoor maps. Bit of an odd choice considering that.

Don't like the OCs. They look terrible. They barely fit in, and will probably be kind of jarring amongst the cast of FE characters. 

Really, really, really hope we get an English dub for this. I'm not one for listening to a language I can't speak and reading subtitles all the time. That and I want to see some of my favorite characters actually fully voiced. 

Curious what strategy elements they are talking about. I am not entirely dure what to expect, even after watching your video on it. They can go in so many different directions with it that it's hard to guess what they could do. It will be interesting to see though.

And definitely agree on E3. I can see a E3 trailer alongside a bit of gameplay and roster overview. Outside of Directs it's their only time to really showcase the game.

I imagine they'll fly close to the ground like some characters who fly when they run.

15 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

Well then I'm sure if we get more Archers than Takumi, Jeorge'll be in.

On that dub note, I don't really care. If it's bad, then shit. If it's good, then great. I generally prefer the option to swap between them and judge for mehself.

Echoes gave me a lot of hope about a dub for FE, so if they get the same team that brought us Python being amazing and Forsyth being uniquely cheesey then I'm all for it.

My big hope is if they can nail a flying character. If they nail Minerva bashing people's skulls in then this might be the absolute best.

How was the voice acting in that? Sadly, my 3DS is broken so I cannot play it myself, but I don't like let's plays for Fire Emblem plus I don't want to spoil myself in case I ever get a replacement.

Edited by Arthur97

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

How was the voice acting in that? Sadly, my 3DS is broken so I cannot play it myself, but I don't like let's plays for Fire Emblem plus I don't want to spoil myself in case I ever get a replacement.

The vaing in Echoes was stellar, easily the best FE dub.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

I imagine they'll fly close to the ground like some characters who fly when they run.

Echoes' dub is leagues above anything done for the series, well above Fates and the dreaded Tellius games, and even beyond the likes of Awakening's perceived god-tier dub.

A lot of it does have to do with the fact that not only is the dub amazing, but it's amazing in a fully voiced game.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

The vaing in Echoes was stellar, easily the best FE dub.

Just now, DaloDask said:

Echoes' dub is leagues above anything done for the series, well above Fates and the dreaded Tellius games, and even beyond the likes of Awakening's perceived god-tier dub.

A lot of it does have to do with the fact that not only is the dub amazing, but it's amazing in a fully voiced game.

That's reassuring. Awakening did have some good VA (Matt Mercer and Laura Baily as two that I actually know their names), but I can definitely see how a good full dub beats it. Speaking of, do you think that the VA would reprise their roles?

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

That's reassuring. Awakening did have some good VA (Matt Mercer and Laura Baily as two that I actually know their names), but I can definitely see how a good full dub beats it. Speaking of, do you think that the VA would reprise their roles?

Considering Marths Smash Bros & other stuff VA is coming back to voice him in the Japanese version, I'd see that being likely for both the Japanese and English dub.

Edited by Jedi

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Considering Marths Smash Bros VA is coming back to voice him in the Japanese version, I'd see that being likely for both the Japanese and English dub.

It'll be interesting to see Yuri Lowenthall (probably spelled that wrong) do a full Marth role. Up until this point it's been pretty minor stuff.