Credits: DarkTwilkitri, Ice Dragon
This section covers most of the notable gameplay changes made in the English version.
- Blood type was removed from the Tactician creation menu.
- An unique animation was added for Blade Lords equipped with the Sol Katti.
- The “Gate” and “Throne” terrain types had their stat bonuses reduced from 3 Def and 20 or 30 Avoid to 2 Def and 20 Avoid.
- The Binding Blade Link Up menu was removed. This feature allowed the player to skip Lyn’s story on the first playthrough, as well as help to unlock parts of the Extended Epilogue.
- The effective damage multiplier was lowered from 3 to 2 for Aureola and all non dragon-slaying weapons.
- Many of the bosses had their stats slightly lowered overall.
- In the “Cog of Destiny” chapter, Lloyd and Linus had their weapon switched from a Runesword to a Light Brand.
- In the Final Chapter, one door opens every turn instead of two doors every two turns.
- The Extended Epilogue now plays by default. Previously the scene with Eliwood, Hector and their children was unlocked by linking up with Binding Blade with a Chapter 22 end-game save, or by completing the game 9 times*. Meanwhile, the scene with Zephiel and Jahn was unlocked by linking up with Binding Blade with a Final Chapter end-game save, or by completing the game 11 times*. Sadly, the Extended Epilogue was removed from the European versions altogether.
* Technically you can view them from the 8th and 10th playthroughs, simply by viewing the Epilogue again.
- The Rapier and Reginleif’s (previously non-existent) effective bonus towards Mage Knights was fixed.
- Many weapons were altered, such as the lowering of Siegmunde’s Might (19 to 17), and the raising of the Brave Axe’s worth (2250 to 7500).
- Several characters had their growth rates tinkered with; Lyon’s in particular were greatly improved (he had lots of 10% growths before).
Note: The table below lists the character’s growth rates in the Japanese version +/- the adjustment made in the English version.
|Gilliam||90||40 +5||30 +5||30||30||55||20|
|Moulder||80 -15||40||50||45 -5||20||25||25|
|Lute||45||70 -5||30||45||45||15||45 -5|
|Amelia||70 -10||40 -5||40||40||50||30||15|
|Artur||55||60 -10||50||40||25||15||60 -5|
|Marisa||75||25 +5||50 +5||55 +5||50||15||20 +5|
|L’Arachel||45||60 -10||45||50 -5||65||15||50|
|Rennac||60 +5||25||45||60||25||25||25 +5|
|Lyon||85||50||10 +45||10 +45||30||10 +35||15 +40|
|Glen||85||40 +5||50||45||20||25 +10||40|
- Amelia’s starting Level in Eirika’s Chapter 13 was reduced from 5 to 4.
- Many characters had their base stats altered slightly (follow the link for details). The biggest changes were made to Rennac and Eirika route’s Cormag, as well as the bonus characters.
- Pablo and Riev in their second encounters were changed to have the same stats as the first time you fought them (their stats were higher before).
- Several bosses had their stats and levels increased, and some enemy levels were increased.
- Conversely, enemies on Easy Mode and Hard Mode are effectively 2 levels weaker.
- A few classes had their maximum stats adjusted. Curiously, the Demon King never gets close to 40 in stats anyway, so um…
Note: The table below lists the class’s maximum stats in the Japanese version +/- the adjustment made in the English version.
|Great Knight (F)||26||25 +1||23 +2||28||26||25|
|Recruit (3)||28 -5||30||29||27 -5||27 -1||20|
|Journeyman (3)||30 -4||28 +1||26 +2||30 -7||24 -1||20|
|Pupil (3)||29||29 -1||26 +1||24 -3||30 -4||20|
|Demon King||40 +10||40 +10||40 +10||40 +10||40 +10||40 +10|
- The flickering of Silencer was changed from red to purple.
- The Secret Shops in the main story had their inventories reworked (previously you could buy some stat boosting items).
- Introduction of the Pierce glitch (activating Pierce on an enemy that cannot counter-attack can freeze the game).
- The Gorgon’s movement type was changed from Flier to Mage.
- The final boss is equipped with Demon Light initially instead of Ravager.
- Maniac mode (difficulty above Hard) was removed and replaced with Easy mode.
- Berserkers, Swordmasters and Snipers were given a 15% critical bonus.
- The Heal staff was given 10 more uses, bumping it up to a generous 40 uses.
- All characters can learn the Renewal skill (before only Ena and Elincia could learn it, making it practically useless).
- You can’t figure this out normally, but Sephiran can no longer learn the Vigilance skill.
- The additional costs for Forging were halved, making it cheaper to forge weapons.
- The Critical glitch was fixed (originally forging a 5 critical weapon to 0 critical changed it to 255 critical).
- Access to the illustration gallery for Binding Blade was disabled, naturally.
- One of the Trial Maps can be unlocked by linking up with either of Blazing Sword or The Sacred Stones, instead of linking up with Binding Blade.
- Normal, Hard and Maniac modes were renamed to Easy, Normal and Hard mode. There were other changes, such as the enemies in the final chapter having their stats increased.
- The Data Transfer freezes when Easy mode saves from Path of Radiance are loaded (only in early copies of the NA version).
- In-game permanent saves were added, for Easy and Normal modes.
- Support for 16:9 widescreen was added.
- Originally there was extra dialogue in Hard/Maniac mode, but all modes were changed to have the same dialogue (based on the shortened-down Japanese Normal mode dialogue).
- In the first cutscene, Micaiah speaks something that resembles Latin, as opposed to galldr, when casting her spell.
- Edward and Leonardo’s starting levels were raised from 1 to 4, and their stats raised accordingly.
- Tempest Blade’s critical rate was raised from 0 to 5, Tomahawk’s critical rate was raised from 0 to 5 and Nosferatu’s Hit rate was raised from 65 to 85.
- Wrath now requires 30% HP or less instead of 20% HP or less, and its activation rate was changed from (Skill)% to 100%.
- Resolve now requires 50% HP or less instead of 20% HP or less, and its activation rate was changed from (Strength)% to 100%.
- Edward, Leonardo and Nolan received an unique weapon each (Caladbolg, Lughnasadh and Tarvos).
- Some new base conversations were added, to obtain the above three weapons and also one featuring Nico.
- Forging points were no longer needed to forge weapons. Points were originally obtained from selling unwanted weapons.
- Master Crowns were no longer requires for characters to advance from 2nd Tier to 3rd Tier (they can now promote by gaining 100 EXP at Level 21).
- Some obtainable Master Crowns were removed and replaced with other items, such as Arms Scrolls.
- The treasure bug was removed. Originally you could repeatedly try and obtain hidden treasures by cycling through the Direct and Cancel commands.
- Mist can now promote without a Holy Crown.
- Preview movies were added inbetween Parts.
- A character illustration gallery was added, featuring many new character illustrations.
- Five multiplayer maps were added, as well as a random map selector.
- A handicapping option was added for multiplayer battles.
- Wendell’s weapon experience was changed from Tome 135 to Tome 105 and Staff 30.
- Catria’s Level was raised from 3 to 5, while Est’s Level was lowered from 5 to 3. Their initial stats remained the same however.
- The Warp Staff’s icon was slightly altered (instead of a six-pointed star, it now features a five-pointed star).
- Two events were added to the Event Recap (they existed in the Japanese version as well, but didn’t have an entry in the Event Recap).
- A selector for English and Japanese voices was added in the Extras menu.
- The “silent” voice option for the Avatar was removed.
- Married cousins are labelled as “Companions” instead of “Husband” and “Wife” in the characters’ status screens.